Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How a camera was designed, made and marketed ?

How a camera was designed, made and marketed ?

aniramca@gmail.com

I am very curious if there is a book, or a website which describes the
process where, how and when a camera (new model, or update of an old
model) is born. How long was the development of a new design? Who are
the players behind the design and technical features of the camera?
Most of the popular cameras has a Japanese origin. However, where are
all of the components designed and came from? Is the technology
centers for Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, etc. are all in
Japan? Or some of the technical brains (sensors, softwares, etc) came
from Silicon Valley, from Europe or elsewhere? Panasonic is using
Leica lenses, Sony is using Carl Zeiss,etc. They are both a european
companies (Germany). Where the lenses developed in Germany, in Japan,
or somewhere else? How each of the component manufacturers play
important roles in the development of the cameras? I assume that
Kodak also sell sensors to some low end cameras.
How and who listens to the desires of the consumers? Is there a one
company which put an importance of complains, praises, requests, and
other inquiries from the previous users, critiques, professional
photographers, etc over the other company? Which company is this?
Just curious.

Note
Sometimes, I am as the user is too picky and complain a lot. If one
consider on how to put together all those small components into a
workable camera, it sure beats the cost or replacing spare parts of a
car in a car garage. My cost for a one visit to a garage to maintain
my car sometimes exceeds the cost of an entry level DSLR! I think
they do wonderful things with the technology, which can make an
autofocus, image stabilizer, atomatic features, and many others to
work or become a reality, everytime you turn on the camera.

Neil Barker

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> I am very curious

I've noticed.

Out of interest, do you actually take many photographs....

--
Neil Barker

Trev

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I am very curious if there is a book, or a website which describes the
> process where, how and when a camera (new model, or update of an old
> model) is born. How long was the development of a new design? Who are
> the players behind the design and technical features of the camera?
> Most of the popular cameras has a Japanese origin. However, where are
> all of the components designed and came from? Is the technology
> centers for Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, etc. are all in
> Japan? Or some of the technical brains (sensors, softwares, etc) came
> from Silicon Valley, from Europe or elsewhere? Panasonic is using
> Leica lenses, Sony is using Carl Zeiss,etc. They are both a european
> companies (Germany). Where the lenses developed in Germany, in Japan,

Sony for instance used the Zeiss name on there early Video cameras as that
was a well founded name. How much input Zeiss has or had other then hiring
out its name is Debatable. Leitz the makers of the leica a camera body and
Leitz lens. Used to work closely with Minolta in research and development.
the Leica
R3 to R5 where built by Minolta as where some very good Leitz lens. That
same lens factory is now owned by Sony. so isit a Ziess desizign, A Leitz
design, A Minolta desisgn or simpley Tamaron wraped up

The mass production cameras are made by Panasonic now after having a
fleeting period with Fuji.
When digital watches first arrived the Company I worked for had the body's
made in Switzerland just so the could add Swiss made on the watch as the did
not think a made in Japan would sell

> or somewhere else? How each of the component manufacturers play
> important roles in the development of the cameras? I assume that
> Kodak also sell sensors to some low end cameras.
> How and who listens to the desires of the consumers? Is there a one
> company which put an importance of complains, praises, requests, and
> other inquiries from the previous users, critiques, professional
> photographers, etc over the other company? Which company is this?
> Just curious.
>
> Note
> Sometimes, I am as the user is too picky and complain a lot. If one
> consider on how to put together all those small components into a
> workable camera, it sure beats the cost or replacing spare parts of a
> car in a car garage. My cost for a one visit to a garage to maintain
> my car sometimes exceeds the cost of an entry level DSLR! I think
> they do wonderful things with the technology, which can make an
> autofocus, image stabilizer, atomatic features, and many others to
> work or become a reality, everytime you turn on the camera.

ASAAR

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 17:35:46 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I am very curious if there is a book, or a website which describes the
> process where, how and when a camera (new model, or update of an old
> model) is born. How long was the development of a new design? Who are
> the players behind the design and technical features of the camera?
> Most of the popular cameras has a Japanese origin. However, where are
> all of the components designed and came from?

That kind of information is likely to be found (if at all) in a
business publication such as Fortune Magazine, Forbes, etc.

aniramca@gmail.com

On Aug 21, 3:44 am, Neil Barker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
> > I am very curious

> I've noticed.
>
> Out of interest, do you actually take many photographs....
>
> --
> Neil Barker

I am taking photos just for my interest. I am an engineer, and
therefore curious on how things work. Nothing more.... and not a pro.
http://picasaweb.google.com/aniramca

Fred Anonymous

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I am very curious if there is a book, or a website which describes the
> process where, how and when a camera (new model, or update of an old
> model) is born. How long was the development of a new design? Who are
> the players behind the design and technical features of the camera?
> Most of the popular cameras has a Japanese origin. However, where are
> all of the components designed and came from? Is the technology
> centers for Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, etc. are all in
> Japan? Or some of the technical brains (sensors, softwares, etc) came
> from Silicon Valley, from Europe or elsewhere? Panasonic is using
> Leica lenses, Sony is using Carl Zeiss,etc. They are both a european
> companies (Germany). Where the lenses developed in Germany, in Japan,
> or somewhere else? How each of the component manufacturers play
> important roles in the development of the cameras? I assume that
> Kodak also sell sensors to some low end cameras.
> How and who listens to the desires of the consumers? Is there a one
> company which put an importance of complains, praises, requests, and
> other inquiries from the previous users, critiques, professional
> photographers, etc over the other company? Which company is this?
> Just curious.

Hello.

Have you had a look at the manufacturers' web sites?

Regards, Ian
Nottingham, England.