Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Networking

Reply
Thread Tools

Wireless Networking

 
 
danado1188@netscape.net
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-01-2005
This part of the message may just be rambling, but I have to include
some background first.
I have an Xbox, and I want to get it on Xbox Live. The room that I have
my Xbox in is at the other end of the house from where my office is,
and therefor where my router is. I don't want to run the ethernet cable
through the ceiling, and I don't want to pay for an expensive wireless
gaming adapter. The same could apply to a computer I guess.
So, my question is: Can I buy another wireless router, hook my Xbox
into that, and have the second router connect to my wireless router in
the office so that it can get to the internet?
Let me know if I'm being to vague or confusing in the question.
-Dan

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Walter Mitty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2005
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> This part of the message may just be rambling, but I have to include
> some background first.
> I have an Xbox, and I want to get it on Xbox Live. The room that I have
> my Xbox in is at the other end of the house from where my office is,
> and therefor where my router is. I don't want to run the ethernet cable
> through the ceiling, and I don't want to pay for an expensive wireless
> gaming adapter. The same could apply to a computer I guess.
> So, my question is: Can I buy another wireless router, hook my Xbox
> into that, and have the second router connect to my wireless router in
> the office so that it can get to the internet?
> Let me know if I'm being to vague or confusing in the question.
> -Dan
>


assuming the original router is not wireless, why not just replace that
with a wireless one?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Robert Jacobs
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-14-2005
HI, Im assuming you already have a wireless router, hence the "another
wireless router" statement.

The answer is no, you cant use another router as a wireless adapter.

What type of router do you have?

Some game adapters are:
Xbox wireless 802.11g adapter
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/br...s.aspx?pid=015
Linksys wireless 802.11b adapter WGA11B
http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=38&prid=550
US Robotics 802.11g Wireless Gaming Adapter
http://www.usr.com/products/networki...sp?sku=USR5430
Linksys WGA54G Wireless-G Gaming Adapter
http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=38&prid=558
Dlink wireless 802.11g game adapter DWL-G820
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=333
Netgear 802.11g wireless game adapter WGE111
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGE111.php
2Wire Wireless Ethernet Client 802.11b http://www.2wire.com/?p=258
SMC EZ Connect 2.4GHz 11 Mbps Wireless Ethernet Adapter (SMC2671W)
http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=v...EN_USA&pid=498
NetGear ME101 Wireless Ethernet Bridge (ME101NA) Wireless Network Converter
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/ME101.php




<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> This part of the message may just be rambling, but I have to include
> some background first.
> I have an Xbox, and I want to get it on Xbox Live. The room that I have
> my Xbox in is at the other end of the house from where my office is,
> and therefor where my router is. I don't want to run the ethernet cable
> through the ceiling, and I don't want to pay for an expensive wireless
> gaming adapter. The same could apply to a computer I guess.
> So, my question is: Can I buy another wireless router, hook my Xbox
> into that, and have the second router connect to my wireless router in
> the office so that it can get to the internet?
> Let me know if I'm being to vague or confusing in the question.
> -Dan
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Jacobs
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-14-2005
By the way, most of these adapters can be had for around 50.00 USD.
http://www.shopping.com/xFS?KW=Game+...vices&FD=96292
and probably can be found cheaper on Ebay.



"Robert Jacobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OVHTYod%(E-Mail Removed)...
> HI, Im assuming you already have a wireless router, hence the "another
> wireless router" statement.
>
> The answer is no, you cant use another router as a wireless adapter.
>
> What type of router do you have?
>
> Some game adapters are:
> Xbox wireless 802.11g adapter
> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/br...s.aspx?pid=015
> Linksys wireless 802.11b adapter WGA11B
> http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=38&prid=550
> US Robotics 802.11g Wireless Gaming Adapter
> http://www.usr.com/products/networki...sp?sku=USR5430
> Linksys WGA54G Wireless-G Gaming Adapter
> http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=38&prid=558
> Dlink wireless 802.11g game adapter DWL-G820
> http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=333
> Netgear 802.11g wireless game adapter WGE111
> http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGE111.php
> 2Wire Wireless Ethernet Client 802.11b http://www.2wire.com/?p=258
> SMC EZ Connect 2.4GHz 11 Mbps Wireless Ethernet Adapter (SMC2671W)
> http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=v...EN_USA&pid=498
> NetGear ME101 Wireless Ethernet Bridge (ME101NA) Wireless Network
> Converter http://www.netgear.com/products/details/ME101.php
>
>
>
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> This part of the message may just be rambling, but I have to include
>> some background first.
>> I have an Xbox, and I want to get it on Xbox Live. The room that I have
>> my Xbox in is at the other end of the house from where my office is,
>> and therefor where my router is. I don't want to run the ethernet cable
>> through the ceiling, and I don't want to pay for an expensive wireless
>> gaming adapter. The same could apply to a computer I guess.
>> So, my question is: Can I buy another wireless router, hook my Xbox
>> into that, and have the second router connect to my wireless router in
>> the office so that it can get to the internet?
>> Let me know if I'm being to vague or confusing in the question.
>> -Dan
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?WnVrZQ==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-28-2005
I think I might be in the same spot as you.

I already have a single MN-700 in router mode hooked directly to my cable
modem and main computer. I want to know if I can simply use another MN-700
in AP mode to hook my xbox to the network. This way I'd also have 3 other
ethernet ports available next to the xbox for when we have LAN parties.

Most reviews of this product says it cannot act as a wireless bridge, yet
acting as an Access Point, wouldn't it be doing this anyway? Is there
something I'm not understanding?
 
Reply With Quote
 
DLink Guru
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-01-2005
The AP would have to connect to your router, via ethernet, to work. A bridge
would connect to your xbox, via ethernet, and connect, via the wireless, to
your network.


"Zuke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I think I might be in the same spot as you.
>
> I already have a single MN-700 in router mode hooked directly to my cable
> modem and main computer. I want to know if I can simply use another
> MN-700
> in AP mode to hook my xbox to the network. This way I'd also have 3 other
> ethernet ports available next to the xbox for when we have LAN parties.
>
> Most reviews of this product says it cannot act as a wireless bridge, yet
> acting as an Access Point, wouldn't it be doing this anyway? Is there
> something I'm not understanding?



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Q. re 2.4 GHz wireless headphones interfering with wireless networking Jimmy Dean Computer Support 7 07-17-2007 12:07 AM
networking two pc together with wireless networking ? Andy Wireless Networking 4 02-26-2007 06:02 PM
Wireless Networking and Wireless Internet =?Utf-8?B?Tko=?= Wireless Networking 1 04-01-2006 09:16 PM
Wireless DSL modem. Networking the wired desktop and wireless laptop. W. Kirk Crawford Wireless Networking 3 01-11-2006 04:16 PM
wireless networking a desk top and wireless laptop togeather =?Utf-8?B?bWlrY2tvejc0?= Wireless Networking 1 07-15-2005 04:25 PM



Advertisments