Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > System Restore Settings (Drive Usage)

Reply
Thread Tools

System Restore Settings (Drive Usage)

 
 
Morgi3
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-20-2007
Hi,

To reduce the max amount of space system restore uses I reset the reg
key at:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore
\DiskPercent=3

To 3 as you can see, so my slider for System Restore shows use 3% max
of the drive.

My drive is 74.5 gb. When I check the size properties of "c:\System
Volume Information" is shows as:

Size: 6.29gb
Size on Disk: 3.36gb

Can anyone explain this? Does the "size" show larger as this is
uncompressed, but it's really only taking 3.36gb up? Also, 3% of
74.5gb should be more like 2.2gb - can anyone help explain this? Did I
adjust the wrong registry key?

Thanks.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-20-2007
Morgi3 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>To reduce the max amount of space system restore uses I reset the reg
>key at:
>
>HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore
>\DiskPercent=3
>
>To 3 as you can see, so my slider for System Restore shows use 3% max
>of the drive.
>
>My drive is 74.5 gb. When I check the size properties of "c:\System
>Volume Information" is shows as:
>
>Size: 6.29gb
>Size on Disk: 3.36gb
>
>Can anyone explain this? Does the "size" show larger as this is
>uncompressed, but it's really only taking 3.36gb up? Also, 3% of
>74.5gb should be more like 2.2gb - can anyone help explain this? Did I
>adjust the wrong registry key?


Dunno

Disable system restore to delete all restore directories, (reboot)
then re enable, that might take the changes.

You might look at ERUNT
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
if space is a problem (or you want a better restore).

--

Blue-Footed Boobies
http://images.livescience.com/images...boobies_02.jpg
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
WhzzKdd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-20-2007
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Morgi3 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>To reduce the max amount of space system restore uses I reset the reg
>>key at:
>>
>>HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore
>>\DiskPercent=3
>>
>>To 3 as you can see, so my slider for System Restore shows use 3% max
>>of the drive.
>>
>>My drive is 74.5 gb. When I check the size properties of "c:\System
>>Volume Information" is shows as:
>>
>>Size: 6.29gb
>>Size on Disk: 3.36gb
>>
>>Can anyone explain this? Does the "size" show larger as this is
>>uncompressed, but it's really only taking 3.36gb up? Also, 3% of
>>74.5gb should be more like 2.2gb - can anyone help explain this? Did I
>>adjust the wrong registry key?

>
> Dunno
>
> Disable system restore to delete all restore directories, (reboot)
> then re enable, that might take the changes.
>
> You might look at ERUNT
> http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
> if space is a problem (or you want a better restore).
>
> Blue-Footed Boobies
> http://images.livescience.com/images...boobies_02.jpg


Your sig really makes me wonder why the feet are blue - what possible
evolutionary scenario produced that? <g>


 
Reply With Quote
 
meerkat
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-20-2007

"WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
news:46cab6b4$(E-Mail Removed)2lemon.net...
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Morgi3 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>To reduce the max amount of space system restore uses I reset the reg
>>>key at:
>>>
>>>HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore
>>>\DiskPercent=3
>>>
>>>To 3 as you can see, so my slider for System Restore shows use 3% max
>>>of the drive.
>>>
>>>My drive is 74.5 gb. When I check the size properties of "c:\System
>>>Volume Information" is shows as:
>>>
>>>Size: 6.29gb
>>>Size on Disk: 3.36gb
>>>
>>>Can anyone explain this? Does the "size" show larger as this is
>>>uncompressed, but it's really only taking 3.36gb up? Also, 3% of
>>>74.5gb should be more like 2.2gb - can anyone help explain this? Did I
>>>adjust the wrong registry key?

>>
>> Dunno
>>
>> Disable system restore to delete all restore directories, (reboot)
>> then re enable, that might take the changes.
>>
>> You might look at ERUNT
>> http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
>> if space is a problem (or you want a better restore).
>>
>> Blue-Footed Boobies
>> http://images.livescience.com/images...boobies_02.jpg

>
> Your sig really makes me wonder why the feet are blue - what possible
> evolutionary scenario produced that? <g>
>

They adopted it from Elvis with his `blue suede shoes`.
Good for picking up the `chicks` %> ).


 
Reply With Quote
 
Morgi3
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-20-2007
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

I understand your point about cleaning up the SR points, but shouldn't
Windows be intelligent enough to do this for me?>

E.g. I reset 12% of disk space use to 3% and it should then and there
delete the oldest RP's in that 9% I've reduced it by, or as new ones
are created delete an old one??

Do you know more about the exact working, is this second suggestion a
possibility?

 
Reply With Quote
 
meerkat
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-20-2007

"Morgi3" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> To reduce the max amount of space system restore uses I reset the reg
> key at:
>
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore
> \DiskPercent=3
>
> To 3 as you can see, so my slider for System Restore shows use 3% max
> of the drive.
>
> My drive is 74.5 gb. When I check the size properties of "c:\System
> Volume Information" is shows as:
>
> Size: 6.29gb
> Size on Disk: 3.36gb
>
> Can anyone explain this? Does the "size" show larger as this is
> uncompressed, but it's really only taking 3.36gb up? Also, 3% of
> 74.5gb should be more like 2.2gb - can anyone help explain this? Did I
> adjust the wrong registry key?
>

To reduce SR percent, you should...
Rt/click My Computer/Properties/System Restore/Settings.
Not play with the Registry.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-20-2007
Morgi3 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks for the quick replies guys.
>
>I understand your point about cleaning up the SR points, but shouldn't
>Windows be intelligent enough to do this for me?>


No.

>E.g. I reset 12% of disk space use to 3% and it should then and there
>delete the oldest RP's in that 9% I've reduced it by, or as new ones
>are created delete an old one??
>
>Do you know more about the exact working, is this second suggestion a
>possibility?


The best place to ask (about system restore) is
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
There is an MPV who frequents that group ,that's spaciality is System
Restore.
--

Egypt discovers what may be oldest human footprint
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070820/...tiquities_dc_1
 
Reply With Quote
 
Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-20-2007
"WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:

>> Blue-Footed Boobies
>> http://images.livescience.com/images...boobies_02.jpg


>Your sig really makes me wonder why the feet are blue - what possible
>evolutionary scenario produced that? <g>


Not much to the caption. Those are young studs. who can't wait to flap
those feet in the face of their beloved.

--

Egypt discovers what may be oldest human footprint
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070820/...tiquities_dc_1
 
Reply With Quote
 
Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-20-2007
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>spaciality

specialty


--

Egypt discovers what may be oldest human footprint
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070820/...tiquities_dc_1
 
Reply With Quote
 
WhzzKdd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-21-2007
"meerkat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tIlyi.24351$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
> news:46cab6b4$(E-Mail Removed)2lemon.net...
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Morgi3 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>>Hi,
>>>>
>>>>To reduce the max amount of space system restore uses I reset the reg
>>>>key at:
>>>>
>>>>HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore
>>>>\DiskPercent=3
>>>>
>>>>To 3 as you can see, so my slider for System Restore shows use 3% max
>>>>of the drive.
>>>>
>>>>My drive is 74.5 gb. When I check the size properties of "c:\System
>>>>Volume Information" is shows as:
>>>>
>>>>Size: 6.29gb
>>>>Size on Disk: 3.36gb
>>>>
>>>>Can anyone explain this? Does the "size" show larger as this is
>>>>uncompressed, but it's really only taking 3.36gb up? Also, 3% of
>>>>74.5gb should be more like 2.2gb - can anyone help explain this? Did I
>>>>adjust the wrong registry key?
>>>
>>> Dunno
>>>
>>> Disable system restore to delete all restore directories, (reboot)
>>> then re enable, that might take the changes.
>>>
>>> You might look at ERUNT
>>> http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
>>> if space is a problem (or you want a better restore).
>>>
>>> Blue-Footed Boobies
>>> http://images.livescience.com/images...boobies_02.jpg

>>
>> Your sig really makes me wonder why the feet are blue - what possible
>> evolutionary scenario produced that? <g>
>>

> They adopted it from Elvis with his `blue suede shoes`.
> Good for picking up the `chicks` %> ).
>
>


LOL! Maybe I oughta look for a pair for myself <g>


--



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Settings.settings file with settings for multiple regions donet programmer ASP .Net 3 11-20-2009 03:05 PM
System Restore won't restore Jimi Computer Support 6 05-17-2006 01:28 AM
System restore will no longer restore Larry Hale Computer Support 2 03-16-2006 06:14 PM
restore points using system restore Kue2 Windows 64bit 3 11-01-2005 03:13 PM
Re: System Restore won't restore WinXP Pro NEMISIES Computer Support 0 06-27-2003 12:22 AM



Advertisments