Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Maximum size for hard drive on HP Pavilion dv1000

Maximum size for hard drive on HP Pavilion dv1000

Pavilion

does anybody know how big could be the internal hard disk on a on HP
Pavilion dv1000?
The users manual says 100 Gb at 4.200 rpm, ATA 100 hard disks.
When I asked about a 120 Gb hard drive, HP support says that "...you
can try..., but, if the drive is recognized, probably you won't be
able to use the whole disk".
I understand that there is a problem with the BIOS to do such hard
disk upgrade.
Thank you.

Paul

Pavilion wrote:
> does anybody know how big could be the internal hard disk on a on HP
> Pavilion dv1000?
> The users manual says 100 Gb at 4.200 rpm, ATA 100 hard disks.
> When I asked about a 120 Gb hard drive, HP support says that "...you
> can try..., but, if the drive is recognized, probably you won't be
> able to use the whole disk".
> I understand that there is a problem with the BIOS to do such hard
> disk upgrade.
> Thank you.

The mechanism for big drive support on IDE ribbon cables is described here.

http://www.t10.org/t13/technical/e00101r6.pdf

The breakpoint is 137,438,953,472 bytes. A disk manufacturer would call that
137.4GB .

Your 120GB drive is below that limit, so should work.

Paul