Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Cannot detect external USB hard drive

Cannot detect external USB hard drive

=?Utf-8?B?Z2VyYWludHdk?=

I've got a 3.5" Maxtor Diamondmax 10 PATA 133 250GB drive in an external USB
enclosure. It has worked previously but Windows has recently stopped
detecting it. This is what I've tried so far - should cover the usual
suspects: -

The USB cable is plugged directly into a port on the back of the PC (not a
hub)

The power comes from a separate DC power supply so that's not the problem.

The drive is spinning and the fan in the enclosure is working as well.

I've checked for loose connections and can't find any problems.

I've tried another known working drive of the same type with the same result.

I've deleted the appropriate UpperFilters and LowerFilters keys in the
registry.

If anyone else has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks

R. C. White

Hi, G.

> This is what I've tried so far - should cover the usual
> suspects: -

All the suspects except:
WinXP, Win98, Vista, or...?
Make and model of computer, or of motherboard/chipset if you build it
yourself?

What does Disk Management say about that drive? (diskmgmt.msc)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"geraintwd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got a 3.5" Maxtor Diamondmax 10 PATA 133 250GB drive in an external
> USB
> enclosure. It has worked previously but Windows has recently stopped
> detecting it. This is what I've tried so far - should cover the usual
> suspects: -
>
> The USB cable is plugged directly into a port on the back of the PC (not a
> hub)
>
> The power comes from a separate DC power supply so that's not the problem.
>
> The drive is spinning and the fan in the enclosure is working as well.
>
> I've checked for loose connections and can't find any problems.
>
> I've tried another known working drive of the same type with the same
> result.
>
> I've deleted the appropriate UpperFilters and LowerFilters keys in the
> registry.
>
> If anyone else has any suggestions please let me know.
>
> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Hi:
You might also want to delete (or rename) the file named INFCACHE.1 located
in \Windows\Inf
Sometimes it gets corrupted and causes problems while detecting usb devices.
Deletion so far seems harmless in all the posts regarding this file.
You will have to take ownership of the file because Vista won't let you
rename or delet it just like that.
Reboot after the renaming (or deletion) of the file.
That should fix it.
Carlos

"geraintwd" wrote:

> I've got a 3.5" Maxtor Diamondmax 10 PATA 133 250GB drive in an external USB
> enclosure. It has worked previously but Windows has recently stopped
> detecting it. This is what I've tried so far - should cover the usual
> suspects: -
>
> The USB cable is plugged directly into a port on the back of the PC (not a
> hub)
>
> The power comes from a separate DC power supply so that's not the problem.
>
> The drive is spinning and the fan in the enclosure is working as well.
>
> I've checked for loose connections and can't find any problems.
>
> I've tried another known working drive of the same type with the same result.
>
> I've deleted the appropriate UpperFilters and LowerFilters keys in the
> registry.
>
> If anyone else has any suggestions please let me know.
>
> Thanks

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
Do not delete the infcache.1 from a Windows Vista installation unless you
have installed the QFE.
The file is not regenerated so device installation will be broken until you
get the QFE.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
|> From: =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
|> Subject: RE: Cannot detect external USB hard drive
|> Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:28:05 -0700
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
|>
|> Hi:
|> You might also want to delete (or rename) the file named INFCACHE.1
located
|> in \Windows\Inf
|> Sometimes it gets corrupted and causes problems while detecting usb
devices.
|> Deletion so far seems harmless in all the posts regarding this file.
|> You will have to take ownership of the file because Vista won't let you
|> rename or delet it just like that.
|> Reboot after the renaming (or deletion) of the file.
|> That should fix it.
|> Carlos
|>
|> "geraintwd" wrote:
|>
|> > I've got a 3.5" Maxtor Diamondmax 10 PATA 133 250GB drive in an
external USB
|> > enclosure. It has worked previously but Windows has recently stopped
|> > detecting it. This is what I've tried so far - should cover the usual
|> > suspects: -
|> >
|> > The USB cable is plugged directly into a port on the back of the PC
(not a
|> > hub)
|> >
|> > The power comes from a separate DC power supply so that's not the
problem.

|> > The drive is spinning and the fan in the enclosure is working as well.
|> >
|> > I've checked for loose connections and can't find any problems.
|> >
|> > I've tried another known working drive of the same type with the same
result.

|> > I've deleted the appropriate UpperFilters and LowerFilters keys in the
|> > registry.
|> >
|> > If anyone else has any suggestions please let me know.
|> >
|> > Thanks

Dshai

On a whim, try the drive on a different system, this will definitely rule
out or prove a drive problem. I'm curious as to whether or not you've tried
any other usb devices (other than the other drive), this will prove or rule
out the usb itself.

--
Dshai

Life is limited only by those living it...
"geraintwd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got a 3.5" Maxtor Diamondmax 10 PATA 133 250GB drive in an external
> USB
> enclosure. It has worked previously but Windows has recently stopped
> detecting it. This is what I've tried so far - should cover the usual
> suspects: -
>
> The USB cable is plugged directly into a port on the back of the PC (not a
> hub)
>
> The power comes from a separate DC power supply so that's not the problem.
>
> The drive is spinning and the fan in the enclosure is working as well.
>
> I've checked for loose connections and can't find any problems.
>
> I've tried another known working drive of the same type with the same
> result.
>
> I've deleted the appropriate UpperFilters and LowerFilters keys in the
> registry.
>
> If anyone else has any suggestions please let me know.
>
> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Hi Darrell:
Could you elaborate this subject a little more?
I have read many posts in the hardware NG regarding the deletion of
infcache.1 as being the solution to usb detection.
Thanks.
Carlos

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:

> Hello,
> Do not delete the infcache.1 from a Windows Vista installation unless you
> have installed the QFE.
> The file is not regenerated so device installation will be broken until you
> get the QFE.
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> --------------------
> |> From: =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
> |> Subject: RE: Cannot detect external USB hard drive
> |> Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:28:05 -0700
> |> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
> |>
> |> Hi:
> |> You might also want to delete (or rename) the file named INFCACHE.1
> located
> |> in \Windows\Inf
> |> Sometimes it gets corrupted and causes problems while detecting usb
> devices.
> |> Deletion so far seems harmless in all the posts regarding this file.
> |> You will have to take ownership of the file because Vista won't let you
> |> rename or delet it just like that.
> |> Reboot after the renaming (or deletion) of the file.
> |> That should fix it.
> |> Carlos

> external USB

> (not a

> problem.

> result.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Carlos,
THe infcache file is not regenerated on Windows Vista. So if you delete
it, for all device installatons you will be prompted for the locations of
the device drivers.
You will need this QFE to be able to resolve the issue.
940199 Error message when you try to install a new hardware device on a
Windows Vista-based computer: "Windows encountered a problem installing the
driver software for your device"

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
|> From: =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
|> Subject: RE: Cannot detect external USB hard drive
|> Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 06:48:02 -0700
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
|>
|> Hi Darrell:
|> Could you elaborate this subject a little more?
|> I have read many posts in the hardware NG regarding the deletion of
|> infcache.1 as being the solution to usb detection.
|> Thanks.
|> Carlos
|>
|> ""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
|>
|> > Hello,
|> > Do not delete the infcache.1 from a Windows Vista installation unless
you
|> > have installed the QFE.
|> > The file is not regenerated so device installation will be broken
until you
|> > get the QFE.
|> > Thanks,
|> > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|> >
|> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|> > --------------------

|> > located
|> > devices.

|> > external USB

PC
|> > (not a

|> > problem.

|> > result.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Darrell:
Thanks for your reply and the KB information.
Your answers are always top quality.
I have been misled (as I said before) by the numerous posts on the Vista
hardware NG, suggesting the risky infcache.1 file deletion.
Las post was on Aug 18th (just 3 days ago) under the subject "Failed load
(Driver) for External Drive".
The suggestion posted was qualified as "helpful".
Go figure.
Thanks again.
Carlos

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:

> Hello Carlos,
> THe infcache file is not regenerated on Windows Vista. So if you delete
> it, for all device installatons you will be prompted for the locations of
> the device drivers.
> You will need this QFE to be able to resolve the issue.
> 940199 Error message when you try to install a new hardware device on a
> Windows Vista-based computer: "Windows encountered a problem installing the
> driver software for your device"
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;940199
>

> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> --------------------
> |> From: =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
> |> Subject: RE: Cannot detect external USB hard drive
> |> Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 06:48:02 -0700
> |> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
> |>
> |> Hi Darrell:
> |> Could you elaborate this subject a little more?
> |> I have read many posts in the hardware NG regarding the deletion of
> |> infcache.1 as being the solution to usb detection.
> |> Thanks.
> |> Carlos

> you
> until you

> rights

> you

> stopped
> usual

> PC

> well.

> same

> in the

=?Utf-8?B?Z2VyYWludHdk?=

Sorry, XP 64 SP2
Self built machine, spec:

ASUS AN8-32 SLI Deluxe (Nforce chipset)
Athlon 64 FX-57
2GB Corsair TwinX RAM
C:\ = Western Digital Raptor 10K RPM SATA 150GB
D:\ = Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM SATA 400GB

Disk management doesn't see the drive at all. Other USB devices (mouse,
keyboard, flash drive) work fine on the USB. The drive worked fine before, as
did another drive of the same type that was known working.

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, G.
>
> > This is what I've tried so far - should cover the usual
> > suspects: -

> All the suspects except:
> WinXP, Win98, Vista, or...?
> Make and model of computer, or of motherboard/chipset if you build it
> yourself?
>
> What does Disk Management say about that drive? (diskmgmt.msc)
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail beta in Vista Ultimate x64)
>
> "geraintwd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I've got a 3.5" Maxtor Diamondmax 10 PATA 133 250GB drive in an external
> > USB
> > enclosure. It has worked previously but Windows has recently stopped
> > detecting it. This is what I've tried so far - should cover the usual
> > suspects: -
> >
> > The USB cable is plugged directly into a port on the back of the PC (not a
> > hub)
> >
> > The power comes from a separate DC power supply so that's not the problem.
> >
> > The drive is spinning and the fan in the enclosure is working as well.
> >
> > I've checked for loose connections and can't find any problems.
> >
> > I've tried another known working drive of the same type with the same
> > result.
> >
> > I've deleted the appropriate UpperFilters and LowerFilters keys in the
> > registry.
> >
> > If anyone else has any suggestions please let me know.
> >
> > Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?Z2VyYWludHdk?=

I don't have another machine to test on, but the drive worked previously and
I've tested with another known good drive of the same type.

Other USB devices work fine (mouse, keyboard, flash drive).

Thanks