Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > GCJ information required

GCJ information required

Wills

Hi,
Where to download the binaries of recent GCJ for java.Is it
bundled with GCC?If so I could find only the source of recent GCC, all
the links lead to the same pages.I need to develop a GUI program using
GCJ and Java.
Thanks in advance.
Wills.

Andrew Thompson

Wills wrote:
>Hi,
> Where to download the binaries of recent GCJ for java.

Did you try that whole 'google' thing suggested
on a thread that you recently started?
<DWS>Dunno', it may just be a passing FAD,
but it seems to throw up some useful information
that anybody who wants to ask a *smart*
*question* would not want to ignore.
</DWS>

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Wills wrote:
> Where to download the binaries of recent GCJ for java.Is it
> bundled with GCC?If so I could find only the source of recent GCC, all
> the links lead to the same pages.I need to develop a GUI program using
> GCJ and Java.

Any Linux distro should have an easy way of getting GCC on it.

For Windows you can get mingw32.

GCC comes with gcj.

Why you want to use gcj I do not understand, because it is
not a particular good implementation.

Arne

Wills

> Why you want to use gcj I do not understand, because it is
> not a particular good implementation.
>
> Arne

Thanks Arne.
You are right, but even if GCJ support some minimal number of swing
components, I can compile the Java programs natively.This may improve
the performance of the java program and I cannot afford to buy
JET .That is why I am interested in GCJ, its features ,etc.
Thanks.

Roedy Green

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 03:05:16 -0700, Wills

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/gcj.html
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary

Thomas Kellerer

Wills wrote on 21.08.2007 08:16:
>> Why you want to use gcj I do not understand, because it is
>> not a particular good implementation.
>>
>> Arne

> Thanks Arne.
> You are right, but even if GCJ support some minimal number of swing
> components, I can compile the Java programs natively.This may improve
> the performance of the java program and I cannot afford to buy
> JET .That is why I am interested in GCJ, its features ,etc.
> Thanks.

I don't think it will improve your performance. With a modern JVM (1.5 or 1.6)
your code will be compiled into native code quite quickly, probably with a
better chance of optimisation than a static compiler could do.

But if get it working, post your results here. I'd be interested (mainly if I am
proven wrong or right )

Thomas

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Wills wrote:
>> Why you want to use gcj I do not understand, because it is
>> not a particular good implementation.

> You are right, but even if GCJ support some minimal number of swing
> components, I can compile the Java programs natively.This may improve
> the performance of the java program and I cannot afford to buy
> JET .That is why I am interested in GCJ, its features ,etc.

It will not improve performance.

Results from a simple benchmark I use:

gcj 3.4.4 11,0
SUN 1.6.0 -client 14,1
gcj 3.4.4 -O3 20,2
SUN 1.4.2 -client 20,7
SUN 1.5.0 -client 24,7
SUN 1.4.2 -server 40,8
SUN 1.5.0 -server 54,8
SUN 1.6.0 -server 60,8

(higgher = better)

Arne

ldv@mail.com

On Aug 21, 1:16 pm, Wills <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Why you want to use gcj I do not understand, because it is
> > not a particular good implementation.

> > Arne

> Thanks Arne.
> You are right, but even if GCJ support some minimal number of swing
> components, I can compile the Java programs natively.This may improve
> the performance of the java program and I cannot afford to buy
> JET .That is why I am interested in GCJ, its features ,etc.
> Thanks.

If your project is non-commercial, you may qualify for a free
Excelsior JET license:

http://www.excelsior-usa.com/jetpricing.html#non-comm

But even if you are developing those Java apps to make money, do
contact Excelsior, they a reasonable people and would likely trade a
license for something valuable to them. For instance, they are used to
give free licenses to most active beta testers.

LDV

GCJ speed? compile RCP apps? Markus Dehmann Java 1 11-08-2004 09:25 AM
How to compile these code by gcj? Mike Mike Java 1 06-02-2004 04:15 PM
Problem Listing Java Source using GCJ and GDB John Java 0 04-01-2004 12:22 AM
GCJ Problem KevJohnP Java 0 10-31-2003 12:12 AM
GCJ has anybody use it. g Java 6 08-26-2003 01:06 PM

Advertisments