Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Question on which books to study with?

Question on which books to study with?

Jeff Dempsey

Another thing that Amazon has is the MOC (Microsoft Official Curriculum) for
the MCSE core classes. I have found the Microsoft Curriculum excellent for
the test objectives (at least for CRM they were), and you may have luch
there.

Also, with Amazon, you can get them used, which could help you save $$$

My test experience (70-290) was odd, at best. I took the practice tests,
and used them to hone my weak areas, and lo, and behold, the test covered
very little of that, but something I was pretty well skilled on. I did do
well on the test, and it was due to a combination of:
1. Knowing Windows Server 2003 (via SBS 2003)
2. Taking practice tests and using that to determine where I was lacking,
and
3. Using the books to study the material where I was weak.

#2 was key for me. A saying that I like to live by is "the best way to deal
with a weakness is to make it a strength."

A couple of things to help...
1. Download virtual PC from Microsoft. It's free.
2. Download Windows Server 2003 180 evaluation version. Guess what? Free.
3. Do the samples in the books until you understand them.

Understand that the tests are designed to weed out the people that don't
know what they're doing, hence usually 2 answers are totally bogus. Two are
close, but one (and only one) is right for the "pick one" questions, and the
other is "mostly right".

Understanding that point is helpful.

i.e. (If this is on the test, then they copied it from me...)

To convert disk volume D: from FAT32 to NTFS without losing your data, which
command do you need to type in:
A. format D: /FS;NTFS <---Almost right (don't try this at home,
though...)
B. NTFSConvert D: <---- You have never used Windows Server 2003 to
convert volumes to NTFS
C. convert D: /FS:NTFS <--- correct
D. You cannot convert volumes from FAT32 to NTFS without losing data. <---
Again, you haven't used WS2003 to convert volumes.

All in all, I did pretty well on 70-290, but as always, I was nervous going
in, and excited coming out...

I hope this helps you out, and good luck!

Jeff

"UWRFREPORTER04" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> > and
>> > various 2003 newsgroups. I know a little bit about everything, but not
>> > an
>> > expert on any. I know enough about exchange server to create and
>> > manage
>> > mailboxes, recipient policies, installing exchange, basically the
>> > things I
>> > needed to do to set up exchange and server 2003 for my organization.
>> > Most of
>> > this stuff I did by reading online and learning as I go.
>> >
>> > I agree with the opinions is based on they passed the test or not. If
>> > you
>> > haven't had actual experience and read a book for all your knowledge,
>> > I'm
>> > going to assume it's going to be very hard to pass a test.
>> >
>> > With that said I would like to use a book to further my knowledge and
>> > help
>> > me understand some areas I'm confused on. I may have set up DNS, Wins,
>> > Active directory, but I don't understand the fine details or
>> > understanding of
>> > why it works.
>> >
>> > I took a free practice exam from preplogic and discovered I know
>> > nothing
>> > about shadow copies and dymanic disks, which may not even be on the
>> > exam.
>> >
>> > So to make a long story short, I'm looking more for a book that will
>> > fine
>> > tune the areas I understand and go into some detail the areas I don't.
>> > Considering I work on (actually designed myself) a server 2003 network
>> > should
>> > help.
>> >
>> > I was considering a MS press book, mainly for the material and maybe
>> > see how
>> > the questions might be laid out on the exam.
>> >
>> > If you think is a good or bad idea I would like to hear your thoughts
>> > after
>> > you know a little bit of my background.

>> I find the Microsoft Resource Kits to be very concise. However, I
>> recommend browsing thru your local bookstore and choosing several
>> different publishers/authors on a technology (Microsoft Windows Server
>> 2003). Take note how the books are laid out, worded, and detailed. Your
>> mind will immediately adapt to a certain style it is comfortable with.
>> The hard part is not necessarily to go with that book however. Let's
>> face it, these books are not cheap. You have to decide what you are
>> looking for in a book. Here is a homework assignment for you: Pick 3-4
>> books on Windows Server 2003. Pick a topic such as DNS or a technology
>> that you are unfamiliar with. Read the different approaches in the 3-4
>> different books concerning the subject and see which book is more
>> concise. Make your own decision. And remember that all books are not
>> perfect. Whichever publisher you chose, remember to visit the company's
>> website to download corrections to errors. Good luck!

=?Utf-8?B?cmViZGQ=?=

if you really want the cert youll study all the books available i got
my server environment cert i studied from 6 differnt books and passed

"UWRFREPORTER04" wrote:

> I've been doing some research and I have found many opinions on which self
> training books are the best to prepare for the exams, both the core MSCE and
> elective exams.
>
> I've read bad opinions about the microsoft self paced training kit and
> average opinions on sybex books among a few others.
>
> I don't want to go spending some $100, $200, etc on exam books or materials
> and need some recommendations on a training book that will help me pass the
> exam if I take my time and read through the materials properly.
>
> I currently have textbooks for 70-270 and 290 from microsoft IT academy
> used in a couple of my college courses.

vubinhlunel

Hi all,

What I want to say today is that if there is any way to shout out to the
world that preplogic.com is the biggest liar and stealer on earth.

They didn’t stop sending me email for their practice exams and on September
11 I have ordered the 70-236 practice exam. Right after my order, they called
me on the phone to convince me to buy the package including the video, audio
and practice exams for full access for 2 years at $99. I said yes then let
Kyle Corpin to take care of all. 10 days after I have received the dvd and
the first invoice that I have paid $116.95 of $1,612.95. I have contacted
Kyle and told him that I didn’t want to pay for more than $99 that he has
confirmed me. He said that the $116 and I wouldn’t have to pay any penny
more. On October 11 I was charged a second time at $187. I called them again
and have obtained the cancellation after days of negotiation. I have a refund
of $187 then I asked them that I have paid $116.95 for the practice exam that
they sell at $49 at first. Then the explanation is that $116.95 is for 30
days trial. I mean that preplogic continue to steal from us again and again
if we don’t have any way to warn people.

Vu Binh LE PHAM VIET

"Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]" wrote:

> "UWRFREPORTER04" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I've been doing some research and I have found many opinions on which self
> > training books are the best to prepare for the exams, both the core MSCE and
> > elective exams.
> >
> > I've read bad opinions about the microsoft self paced training kit and
> > average opinions on sybex books among a few others.
> >
> > I don't want to go spending some $100, $200, etc on exam books or materials
> > and need some recommendations on a training book that will help me pass the
> > exam if I take my time and read through the materials properly.
> >
> > I currently have textbooks for 70-270 and 290 from microsoft IT academy
> > used in a couple of my college courses.

> Fortunately there is no exclusive, guaranteed training kit on the market
> for these exams. The trouble with opinions is that they are opinionated
> I would guess that half the people who give reviews about training
> kits failed the exam after using it. Is this the kits fault? Perhaps.
> But I bet that is all they used to try to pass the exam. I have been
> thinking lately if training kits or study guides are a great idea to
> have on the market. I am leaning toward no. The reason is that
> certification exams by default are based on recommended experience. What
> good is there in having a training kit or 5 day class if the
> certification program recommends experience in passing the exams? There
> are tons of resource kits and other books on technology. Why do we need
> a specific book on exam content when this content is available online
> and in printed form in other books (resource kits and such). Answer:
> MONEY. Nothing wrong with this, it is what makes the world go around and
> what we all work to achieve. But to me, training kits or certification
> prep guides are fading fast with me. I do not need a book outlining the
> exam content -- the Microsoft learning site informs me what I will be
> tested on for any particular exam. I do not need the kit to learn about
> the technology that I will be tested on -- my experience with the
> technology, other resource kits I own for research about the covered
> technology, and http://www.microsoft.com/technet assist me with that
> part. I do not need the training kits for the evaluation software -- I
> should already know it, or at the very least worked on it before if I
> plan on testing out on it! And I sure don't need the training kit for
> the practice exams. In my personal opinionated view, practice exams are
> a waste of time. They are riddled with errors, give the person a false
> sense of security or worse, make them afraid to take the real exam and
> doubt their abilities.
>
> So again I ask, why do we need training kits or exam preparation guides?
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood,
> MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST
> CertGuard, Inc. - http://www.certguard.com

2011: Which Ruby books have you read? And which would you recommend? Aston J. Ruby 13 03-16-2011 07:36 AM
Allitcertkiller.com study guides are better than Realexamquestions.com study guides loyola Microsoft Certification 39 07-21-2006 03:12 AM
Books, Books, Books... C++ 3 09-19-2004 10:11 PM
Which books are best and what is ultimate study method? Mike MCSD 1 02-10-2004 07:54 PM

Advertisments