Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Installing new programs - fails to create start menu items.

Installing new programs - fails to create start menu items.

BertieBigBollox@gmail.com

Not quite sure how this has happened, but any new software I install
seems to fail when creating new entries on the start menu.

Seems to be able to create a folder in the start menu such as START-
>ALLPROGRAMS->XYZ but then XYZ contains nothing.

Some install of programs fails because of this (rolls back) but some
seem to work (albeit without start menu entry).

I seem to get various messages dependng on the software but one I get
is 'warning 1909; could not create xyz.lnk'

Any ideas?

ded

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Not quite sure how this has happened, but any new software I install
> seems to fail when creating new entries on the start menu.
>
> Seems to be able to create a folder in the start menu such as START-
>>ALLPROGRAMS->XYZ but then XYZ contains nothing.

> Some install of programs fails because of this (rolls back) but some
> seem to work (albeit without start menu entry).
>
> I seem to get various messages dependng on the software but one I get
> is 'warning 1909; could not create xyz.lnk'
>
> Any ideas?

"Warning 1909. could not create..." is listed vaguely in the KB,
indications
are that either you are installing to a non-default folder location
resulting
in too long a path, If the error also includes: "Verify that the destination
folder exists and that you can access it." - And you did install to the
default
location, it could be Windows file associations are corrupt or if an MS
product it may require installing in the windows folder for intergration,
the example is Office.

This is the MS KB, type exactly the error message(s) you receive
http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=&spid=global

- Bobb -

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Not quite sure how this has happened, but any new software I install
> seems to fail when creating new entries on the start menu.
>
> Seems to be able to create a folder in the start menu such as START-
>>PROGRAMS->XYZ but then XYZ contains nothing.

> Some install of programs fails because of this (rolls back) but some
> seem to work (albeit without start menu entry).
>
> I seem to get various messages dependng on the software but one I get
> is 'warning 1909; could not create xyz.lnk'
>
> Any ideas?

Anyone else use PC that may have accidentally made this folder READ-Only ?
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs
( in case some items are trying to be made in the
All Users menu and fail when they can't )
What does event log show ?
( right-click - my computer - manage - event viewer - system / or
application for " that day /time" when install failed"