Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How to preserve original EXIF data during photo editing?

How to preserve original EXIF data during photo editing?

aniramca@gmail.com

I need help in preserving original EXIF data of the JPEG files. I
notice that when I edit the photos (red eye correction, contrast,
cropping, etc.), and update the original files, the orginal data of
the photo (when they were taken, camera info, exposure data, etc) will
disappear. I know a way to avoid this, which is to use "save as"
feature and rename the files. However, this will end up extra space
and duplications. Is there another way to preserve the original EXIF
data when you edit a photo? Thanks for info.

Trev

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I need help in preserving original EXIF data of the JPEG files. I
> notice that when I edit the photos (red eye correction, contrast,
> cropping, etc.), and update the original files, the orginal data of
> the photo (when they were taken, camera info, exposure data, etc) will
> disappear. I know a way to avoid this, which is to use "save as"
> feature and rename the files. However, this will end up extra space
> and duplications. Is there another way to preserve the original EXIF
> data when you edit a photo? Thanks for info.

It all depends on the software your using. Older PSP for instance (psp did
not save all the exif But current versions have no trouble Providing you ask
it to save exif in the options. I would check that you are using similar
options in your editor

Dave

>I need help in preserving original EXIF data of the JPEG files. I
> notice that when I edit the photos (red eye correction, contrast,
> cropping, etc.), and update the original files, the orginal data of
> the photo (when they were taken, camera info, exposure data, etc) will
> disappear. I know a way to avoid this, which is to use "save as"
> feature and rename the files. However, this will end up extra space
> and duplications. Is there another way to preserve the original EXIF
> data when you edit a photo? Thanks for info.

Just save the original and always work on the copy.

DAVE
Bristol Uk
http://djmp.co.uk/slr/

Alan Clifford

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I need help in preserving original EXIF data of the JPEG files. I
> notice that when I edit the photos (red eye correction, contrast,
> cropping, etc.), and update the original files, the orginal data of
> the photo (when they were taken, camera info, exposure data, etc) will
> disappear.

Sounds like your editing software is seriously broken.

What you can do to ameliorate this brokenness is take a copy, edit, then
use jhead to copy the original exif data from the original to the new
photo. Then you can delete the original if you feel so inclined.

Jhead can be found at http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/

--
Alan

( If replying by mail, please note that all "sardines" are canned.
However, unless this a very old message, a "tuna" will swim right
through. )

Dave Cohen

Alan Clifford wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Aug 2007, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> I need help in preserving original EXIF data of the JPEG files. I
>> notice that when I edit the photos (red eye correction, contrast,
>> cropping, etc.), and update the original files, the orginal data of
>> the photo (when they were taken, camera info, exposure data, etc) will
>> disappear.

> Sounds like your editing software is seriously broken.
>
> What you can do to ameliorate this brokenness is take a copy, edit, then
> use jhead to copy the original exif data from the original to the new
> photo. Then you can delete the original if you feel so inclined.
>
> Jhead can be found at http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/

I use FastStone for 90% of my edits. I use save as and exif data is
preserved. For the those that I edit in PhotoPlus, the file save is an
export and exif data is lost.
The free Exifer download will permit save and import of thumbnail and
exif data. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to have a batch mode.
Dave Cohen

Malcolm Stewart

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I need help in preserving original EXIF data of the JPEG files. I
> notice that when I edit the photos (red eye correction, contrast,
> cropping, etc.), and update the original files, the orginal data of
> the photo (when they were taken, camera info, exposure data, etc) will
> disappear.

"Exifer" does this. EXIF data can then be amended to a copied jpeg if the
photo editing application hasn't done a proper job.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK