Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Max allowed RAM under XP Pro

Max allowed RAM under XP Pro

=?utf-8?B?4paAU2xhY2s=?=

I've want to upgrade the amount of RAM in my notebook (Dell 1505), but I'm
a little confused after doing some reading/searches.

So, my Dell manual says max RAM in my notebook is 4 GB, but Crucial's
memory scanner and even Dell's support forum say 2 GB is max. Is the
limit due to XP?

I want to run 4 GB for possible [future] move over to Vista assuming MS
can get their crap together.
--
Slack

Ophelia Cummins

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 10:47:44 -0700, ▀Slack wrote:

> I've want to upgrade the amount of RAM in my notebook (Dell 1505), but I'm
> a little confused after doing some reading/searches.
>
> So, my Dell manual says max RAM in my notebook is 4 GB, but Crucial's
> memory scanner and even Dell's support forum say 2 GB is max. Is the
> limit due to XP?
>
> I want to run 4 GB for possible [future] move over to Vista assuming MS
> can get their crap together.

MS, getting their crap together? I wouldn't hold my breath. You might
turn blue.

old man

Its not due to XP

"?Slack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsp.txbidusef3vmig@slacker...
> I've want to upgrade the amount of RAM in my notebook (Dell 1505), but I'm
> a little confused after doing some reading/searches.
>
> So, my Dell manual says max RAM in my notebook is 4 GB, but Crucial's
> memory scanner and even Dell's support forum say 2 GB is max. Is the
> limit due to XP?
>
> I want to run 4 GB for possible [future] move over to Vista assuming MS
> can get their crap together.
> --
> Slack

WhzzKdd

"?Slack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsp.txbidusef3vmig@slacker...
> I've want to upgrade the amount of RAM in my notebook (Dell 1505), but I'm
> a little confused after doing some reading/searches.
>
> So, my Dell manual says max RAM in my notebook is 4 GB, but Crucial's
> memory scanner and even Dell's support forum say 2 GB is max. Is the
> limit due to XP?
>
> I want to run 4 GB for possible [future] move over to Vista assuming MS
> can get their crap together.

No, 2GB is not an XP limit. It's the HARDWARE limit in your model of laptop.
Nothing difficult to understand there.

There is a limit in XP - it's about 3.25GB. If you had a system which
allowed 4GB installed, XP would only use it's limit, but it would be there
for Vista if you moved to that OS.

SgtMinor

▀Slack wrote:

> I've want to upgrade the amount of RAM in my notebook (Dell 1505), but
> I'm a little confused after doing some reading/searches.
>
> So, my Dell manual says max RAM in my notebook is 4 GB, but Crucial's
> memory scanner and even Dell's support forum say 2 GB is max. Is the
> limit due to XP?
>
> I want to run 4 GB for possible [future] move over to Vista assuming MS
> can get their crap together.

MS says: "Windows XP supports a maximum of 3GB of memory space
allocation to any Windows application, including CATIA; Windows 2000
supports a maximum of 2GB memory."

But why wait for MS to get their crap together? Vista is absolutely
wonderful, especially if you add Windows OneCare, Microsoft's extra-cost
security program. Sure, some people complain about the constant
interruptions of this program asking you to answer baffling questions,
and OK, some of your movies and mp3s may not play very well, and yes, it
is slow and a memory hog, but it's NEW!

Meat Plow

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 14:39:59 -0400, SgtMinor wrote:

> Slack wrote:
>
>> I've want to upgrade the amount of RAM in my notebook (Dell 1505), but
>> I'm a little confused after doing some reading/searches.
>>
>> So, my Dell manual says max RAM in my notebook is 4 GB, but Crucial's
>> memory scanner and even Dell's support forum say 2 GB is max. Is the
>> limit due to XP?
>>
>> I want to run 4 GB for possible [future] move over to Vista assuming MS
>> can get their crap together.

> MS says: "Windows XP supports a maximum of 3GB of memory space
> allocation to any Windows application, including CATIA; Windows 2000
> supports a maximum of 2GB memory."

> But why wait for MS to get their crap together? Vista is absolutely
> wonderful, especially if you add Windows OneCare, Microsoft's extra-cost
> security program. Sure, some people complain about the constant
> interruptions of this program asking you to answer baffling questions,
> and OK, some of your movies and mp3s may not play very well, and yes, it
> is slow and a memory hog, but it's NEW!

Set up a brand new HP Intel duo core vista lappy for a friend the other
day. Took eons to load from a cold boot, had more **** popping up than a
free porno site. Mouse cursor paused frequently when opening/closing
dialog boxes. Cursor even disappeared a couple times. What a crock of ****.

Rectum Burn

=?utf-8?B?4paAU2xhY2s=?= <(E-Mail Removed)> said in
newsp.txbidusef3vmig@slacker:

> I've want to upgrade the amount of RAM in my notebook (Dell 1505), but
> I'm a little confused after doing some reading/searches.
>
> So, my Dell manual says max RAM in my notebook is 4 GB, but Crucial's
> memory scanner and even Dell's support forum say 2 GB is max. Is the
> limit due to XP?
>
> I want to run 4 GB for possible [future] move over to Vista assuming
> MS can get their crap together.

Dell is notorious for being completely ****ed up, anymore. As for the
amount of ram your PC, I would say (as others have replied) that the hard
ware limitation. Windows XP 32 bit (as well as Vista 32 bit) can only
address 3.25 gigs of memory. You have to get XP 64 or Vista 64 to recognize
more than that and that has to be ran on a machine with a 64 bit processor.

Rectum Burrrrrrrrn

Why defining a constant in a method is not allowed but usingself.class.const_set is allowed? Iñaki Baz Castillo Ruby 13 05-01-2011 06:09 PM
want max width and max height as long as not exceed 100px Summercool HTML 9 10-23-2007 02:27 AM
ADSL Max/Max Gordy NZ Computing 6 11-24-2006 11:41 PM
Max Apperture and Max. Shutter Speed Confusion-HELP bhaskar Digital Photography 12 07-22-2003 05:17 PM

Advertisments