Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > OS Terminal - Parallel Install?

OS Terminal - Parallel Install?

=?Utf-8?B?Ym9i?=

My OS is down, has been corrupted, and is not recoverable, according to Dell
tech support. They recommend a fresh install but my data is not backed up and
I cannot lose it.

My question is, is a parallel install a viable option? Or is it too risky
for someone who is not technically advanced?

Thanks,
Bob

=?Utf-8?B?cGhhdDI4dnI2?=

If you can reboot and get into the bios, set the 1st boot to CD and load your
OS disc. Wether it be XP or vista X64, both give you the choice or upgrade or
fresh install. Choose upgrade and ONLY windows is installed leaving your
files intact.

"bob" wrote:

> My OS is down, has been corrupted, and is not recoverable, according to Dell
> tech support. They recommend a fresh install but my data is not backed up and
> I cannot lose it.
>
> My question is, is a parallel install a viable option? Or is it too risky
> for someone who is not technically advanced?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Charlie Russel - MVP

If you are using a Dell OEM disk, you don't have a parallel option. If
you're using a retail disk, yes, you can install to a different drive and
pull your data off. But if you have a retail disk, I'd suggest doing a
"repair install" (google for details). This should correct the problem AND
preserve your data.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My OS is down, has been corrupted, and is not recoverable, according to
> Dell
> tech support. They recommend a fresh install but my data is not backed up
> and
> I cannot lose it.
>
> My question is, is a parallel install a viable option? Or is it too risky
> for someone who is not technically advanced?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Tony Sperling

Ahem. . .I don't know about Dell, but my OEM has the Repair option as well.

(Good choice!)

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you are using a Dell OEM disk, you don't have a parallel option. If
> you're using a retail disk, yes, you can install to a different drive and
> pull your data off. But if you have a retail disk, I'd suggest doing a
> "repair install" (google for details). This should correct the problem AND
> preserve your data.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My OS is down, has been corrupted, and is not recoverable, according to
> > Dell
> > tech support. They recommend a fresh install but my data is not backed

up
> > and
> > I cannot lose it.
> >
> > My question is, is a parallel install a viable option? Or is it too

risky
> > for someone who is not technically advanced?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bob

Charlie Russel - MVP

Dell, so far as I know, doesn't ship a full OEM install disk - just a
"repair" disk that actually blows away everything on the disk! Not my idea
of a repair option!

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ahem. . .I don't know about Dell, but my OEM has the Repair option as
> well.
>
> (Good choice!)
>
> Tony. . .

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If you are using a Dell OEM disk, you don't have a parallel option. If
>> you're using a retail disk, yes, you can install to a different drive and
>> pull your data off. But if you have a retail disk, I'd suggest doing a
>> "repair install" (google for details). This should correct the problem
>> AND
>> preserve your data.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > My OS is down, has been corrupted, and is not recoverable, according to
>> > Dell
>> > tech support. They recommend a fresh install but my data is not backed

> up
>> > and
>> > I cannot lose it.
>> >
>> > My question is, is a parallel install a viable option? Or is it too

> risky
>> > for someone who is not technically advanced?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Bob

Tony Sperling

I heard a Linguist once proclaiming 'Language is an organic entity, like the
same basic ingredients in a dough can form many different types of bread'.
Laurie Anderson, proclaimed that 'Language is a virus from outer space' - I
don't know, but it sure is flexible!

Initially, I am chocked. Then I find I am only moderately surprised!

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dell, so far as I know, doesn't ship a full OEM install disk - just a
> "repair" disk that actually blows away everything on the disk! Not my idea
> of a repair option!
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Ahem. . .I don't know about Dell, but my OEM has the Repair option as
> > well.
> >
> > (Good choice!)
> >
> > Tony. . .
> >

> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> If you are using a Dell OEM disk, you don't have a parallel option. If
> >> you're using a retail disk, yes, you can install to a different drive

and
> >> pull your data off. But if you have a retail disk, I'd suggest doing a
> >> "repair install" (google for details). This should correct the problem
> >> AND
> >> preserve your data.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Charlie.
> >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
> >>

> >> "bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

backed
> > up

> > risky

Charlie Russel - MVP

They're not the only ones, I'm afraid. It's my single biggest complaint
about the major OEMs - they refuse to let you do things your way, it has to
be their way. I will give Dell one accolade, however. Their support website
makes it easy to get the right drivers without knowing anything about the
box except the service number, which is clearly visible on the outside. THAT
is how everyone should do it.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64