Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > IP Address Questions

IP Address Questions

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Luke O'Malley wrote:
> Hi
>
> Perhaps you can help. I have three computers and they are attached
> to a router. Do they all have the same IP address? If someone
> hooked onto my wireless system would they have the same IP address?

No, and no. No two devices can have the same IP address, otherwise it
simply no workee. Most routers hand out private IP addresses that are
something like 192.168.0.2 or some variation. If someone else attaches
to your network, they'll need a unique IP address to function. Want to
explain in more detail what you think is going on?

Mr. Arnold

"Luke O'Malley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zsCxi.27$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> Perhaps you can help. I have three computers and they are attached
> to a router. Do they all have the same IP address? If someone
> hooked onto my wireless system would they have the same IP address?

Your router has a DHCP server. Your computer is automatically requesting a
DHCP IP from a DHCP server. I network whether that be your home network,
your company's network or your ISP's network is using DHCP IP(s) and they
have a DHCP server on the network.

You computer's settings are default configured to obtain an IP
automatically. If you look at the NIC or Network Interface Card whether it
be Ethernet/wire or a wireless NIC, the default is the setting. You can also
configure a computer wired or wireless to use a static IP on the router as
well, which you'll have to do it manually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic...ation_Protocol

Mike Easter

Luke O'Malley wrote:

> Perhaps you can help. I have three computers and they are attached
> to a router. Do they all have the same IP address? If someone
> hooked onto my wireless system would they have the same IP address?

The typical router/LAN configuration is that the router gets/has an IP
address which is associated with its WAN connectivity, such as
67.80.251.169 which it gets from the cable or dsl which is communicating
with the WAN/internet.

Your 3 computers are assigned 'internal' IP addresses by the router such
as 192.168.1.145 and other 192.168.1.xxx or 192.168.xx.xxx IP and the
router keeps up with which computer is which.

Then, when each of the 3 LAN computers makes a request of a webserver,
say, the request goes from a computer 192.168.1.145 thru' the router
which transmits the request as 67.80.251.169 to the WAN and when the
webserver on the internet answers to 67.80.251.169, the router passes
the information on to the computer 192.168.1.145 which made the request.

The router acts as a NAT device, network address translator, translating
the IP address to enable each computer on the LAN to have its own
internal address while the LAN itself has only a single IP address.

If someone hooks onto your wireless system, they will have your
67.80.251.169 IP address as far as the WAN is concerned, but they will
have their own IP address as far as the router and the LAN is concerned,
such as 192.168.1.101.

--
Mike Easter

Whiskers

On 2007-08-18, Luke O'Malley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Perhaps you can help. I have three computers and they are attached
> to a router. Do they all have the same IP address? If someone
> hooked onto my wireless system would they have the same IP address?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Luke

The public IP number of the internet connection from which you posted your
article is 67.80.251.169 and anyone using the internet from that
connection will have the same public IP number. If there is more than one
machine on your local network, then your router will allocate a local IP
number (probably 192.168.x.y where x and y are numbers between 0 and 254)
to each one (and one to itself too) and your router will take care of
sorting out which incoming stuff from the internet is meant for which local
computer.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Blinky the Shark

Luke O'Malley used:

There's something you don't see often.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups.

inc

Mike Easter wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Luke O'Malley wrote:
>
>> Perhaps you can help. I have three computers and they are attached
>> to a router. Do they all have the same IP address? If someone
>> hooked onto my wireless system would they have the same IP address?

> The typical router/LAN configuration is that the router gets/has an IP
> address which is associated with its WAN connectivity, such as
> 67.80.251.169 which it gets from the cable or dsl which is communicating
> with the WAN/internet.
>
> Your 3 computers are assigned 'internal' IP addresses by the router such
> as 192.168.1.145 and other 192.168.1.xxx or 192.168.xx.xxx IP and the
> router keeps up with which computer is which.
>
> Then, when each of the 3 LAN computers makes a request of a webserver,
> say, the request goes from a computer 192.168.1.145 thru' the router
> which transmits the request as 67.80.251.169 to the WAN and when the
> webserver on the internet answers to 67.80.251.169, the router passes
> the information on to the computer 192.168.1.145 which made the request.
>
> The router acts as a NAT device, network address translator, translating
> the IP address to enable each computer on the LAN to have its own
> internal address while the LAN itself has only a single IP address.
>
> If someone hooks onto your wireless system, they will have your
> 67.80.251.169 IP address as far as the WAN is concerned, but they will
> have their own IP address as far as the router and the LAN is concerned,
> such as 192.168.1.101.

Archived!!

I've never seen this information put in such a simple, understandable way.

Thank you.

inc

Mike Easter

inc wrote:
> Mike Easter

>> The router acts as a NAT device,

> Archived!!
>
> I've never seen this information put in such a simple, understandable
> way.
>
> Thank you.

YW. I'm generally not very succinct or concise, but tend to be rambling
and wordy because it is quicker and easier for me that way. It takes me
a lot longer to try use fewer words than more.

--
Mike Easter

TJ

"Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:46c72748$0$97236$892e7fe2
@authen.yellow.readfreenews.net:

> inc wrote:

>> Mike Easter

>>> The router acts as a NAT device,

>> Archived!!
>>
>> I've never seen this information put in such a simple, understandable
>> way.
>>
>> Thank you.

> YW. I'm generally not very succinct or concise, but tend to be rambling
> and wordy because it is quicker and easier for me that way. It takes me
> a lot longer to try use fewer words than more.

Fair enough. Now what's HEMI-Powered's excuse?

All kidding aside. The OP's questions could have been answered with three
words. "Yes and Yes." (Sorry Roger, but you whiffed on that one.)

IMO after that, it's up to the OP to come back and ask for a more detailed
answer *IF* he wants one. Sometime's less, really is more.

YMMV, of course.

Mike Easter

TJ wrote:
> "Mike Easter"

>> It takes me a lot longer to try use fewer words than more.

> All kidding aside. The OP's questions could have been answered with
> three words. "Yes and Yes."

<or>
Luke O'Malley wrote:
> I have three computers and they are attached
> to a router. Do they all have the same IP address?

Yes and no.

> If someone
> hooked onto my wireless system would they have the same IP address?

Yes and no.
</or>

That isn't very many words, but it isn't very helpful.

--
Mike Easter

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

TJ wrote:
> "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:46c72748$0$97236$892e7fe2
> @authen.yellow.readfreenews.net:
>
>> inc wrote:

>>> Mike Easter
>>> Archived!!
>>>
>>> I've never seen this information put in such a simple, understandable
>>> way.
>>>
>>> Thank you.

>> YW. I'm generally not very succinct or concise, but tend to be rambling
>> and wordy because it is quicker and easier for me that way. It takes me
>> a lot longer to try use fewer words than more.

> Fair enough. Now what's HEMI-Powered's excuse?
>
> All kidding aside. The OP's questions could have been answered with three
> words. "Yes and Yes." (Sorry Roger, but you whiffed on that one.)

If any two devices on the internet try to communicate with each other,
they must have unique IP's. In the instance of being behind a router and
having IP addresses handed out by DHCP, they are still unique because
they must go through the router and therefore NAT. The answer is still
no and no. If you try to have identical IP addresses you'll have an IP
conflict, which can cause very unpredictable behavior. It'll work one
second and then won't work at all.

BTW, Mike did a very good job of explaining, so I'm not disagreeing. But
even on a small LAN with the router handing out IP's, you don't get the
same IP on two different devices.