Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Vista 64bit Ultimate installation problem

Vista 64bit Ultimate installation problem

=?Utf-8?B?bXVpdG5lcA==?=

Hello to all out there

I'm looking for some ideas if possible. Just built my first PC and I knew I
would come up against a few problems along the way. If I give you a run down
of components and the problem maybe you can help.

Abit IN9 32X-MAX WiFi nForce 680 motherboard
BFG GeForce 8800 GTS OC 320MB GDDR3 graphics card
Enermax Infiniti 720W EIN720AWT ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 "LGA775 Conroe" 3.00GHz (1333FSB)
OCZ 2GB (4 x 1GB) PC2-6400C4 Dual Channel Platinum Revision 2 XTC Series
DDR2 (OCZ2P800R22GK)
Samsung SpinPoint T HD501LJ 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache *3
Asus DRW-1814BLT 18x18 DVD±RW Serial ATA
Sony Floppy Drive
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit Edition

First problem I had was with bios - checksum error defaults loaded. I had to
upgrade bios to the latest version to get it to work and then upped the
voltage to the memory - problem sorted but it took me four hours!!

All hard drives have been formatted but I'm not sure if they have been
partitioned. Can I do this before installing the OS?

Anyway, tried installing OS, got to a certain point and this blue screen
flashes up quickly saying that windows did not shut down properly and then
restarts. It then goes round and round in circles stopping at this point. I
need to find out what the operating system doesn't like about my hardware if
it is that at all.

I have a few ideas in mind - if the graphics card needs drivers for the os,
can i install them before I install the OS?
I have windows XP 32bit - will this be a good idea to install first and then
vista?
I've read something about the SATA setup in bios - do i need to do something
here?

any ideas will be appreciated

Thanks

Dominic Payer

Remove 2GB of the RAM and complete the install.
Then apply http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777 - will be done
automatically if you apply the Windows Updates - and you can replace the RAM
and all should be well.

"muitnep" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello to all out there
>
> I'm looking for some ideas if possible. Just built my first PC and I knew
> would come up against a few problems along the way. If I give you a run
> down
> of components and the problem maybe you can help.
>
> Abit IN9 32X-MAX WiFi nForce 680 motherboard
> BFG GeForce 8800 GTS OC 320MB GDDR3 graphics card
> Enermax Infiniti 720W EIN720AWT ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU
> Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 "LGA775 Conroe" 3.00GHz (1333FSB)
> OCZ 2GB (4 x 1GB) PC2-6400C4 Dual Channel Platinum Revision 2 XTC Series
> DDR2 (OCZ2P800R22GK)
> Samsung SpinPoint T HD501LJ 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache *3
> Asus DRW-1814BLT 18x18 DVD±RW Serial ATA
> Sony Floppy Drive
> Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit Edition
>
> First problem I had was with bios - checksum error defaults loaded. I had
> upgrade bios to the latest version to get it to work and then upped the
> voltage to the memory - problem sorted but it took me four hours!!
>
> All hard drives have been formatted but I'm not sure if they have been
> partitioned. Can I do this before installing the OS?
>
> Anyway, tried installing OS, got to a certain point and this blue screen
> flashes up quickly saying that windows did not shut down properly and then
> restarts. It then goes round and round in circles stopping at this point.
> need to find out what the operating system doesn't like about my hardware
> if
> it is that at all.
>
> I have a few ideas in mind - if the graphics card needs drivers for the
> os,
> can i install them before I install the OS?
> I have windows XP 32bit - will this be a good idea to install first and
> then
> vista?
> I've read something about the SATA setup in bios - do i need to do
> something
> here?
>
> any ideas will be appreciated
>
> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?bXVpdG5lcA==?=

Thanks. I'll try that and see what happens.