Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Bell beginning to toll for reflexive optical viewfinders?

Bell beginning to toll for reflexive optical viewfinders?

RichA

Fujifilm digital camera to use Kopin Viewfinder
Spectra-Photonics magazine:

Fujifilm Corp. of Tokyo will intergrate the CyberEVR 230K-NF
electronic viewfinder from Kopin Corp. of Tauton, Mass., into its
FinePix S700 digital camera, designed primarily for amateur
photographers interested in upgrading to an SLR-styled digital camera
with advanced features. The viewfinder is designed to provide
detailed images-even in bright sunlight - and to enable fine focusing.

Thing I don't get is why the S-700? It's a cheap Fuji. If this
finder is so great, why not put it in the top line Fuji P&S?

Toby

"RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Fujifilm digital camera to use Kopin Viewfinder
> Spectra-Photonics magazine:
>
> Fujifilm Corp. of Tokyo will intergrate the CyberEVR 230K-NF
> electronic viewfinder from Kopin Corp. of Tauton, Mass., into its
> FinePix S700 digital camera, designed primarily for amateur
> photographers interested in upgrading to an SLR-styled digital camera
> with advanced features. The viewfinder is designed to provide
> detailed images-even in bright sunlight - and to enable fine focusing.
>
> Thing I don't get is why the S-700? It's a cheap Fuji. If this
> finder is so great, why not put it in the top line Fuji P&S?

Because all LCD viewfinders are crap compared to optical.

Toby

Andrey Tarasevich

RichA wrote:
> Thing I don't get is why the S-700? It's a cheap Fuji. If this
> finder is so great, why not put it in the top line Fuji P&S?

"Electronic" viewfinders occupy approximately the same place in the world of
viewfinders as plastic bodies occupy in the world of camera bodies. Yet somehow
you expect to see such viewfinders in top-end cameras, while advocating against
plastic bodies. You are a man of paradoxes, one might say

Joseph Meehan

RichA wrote:
> Fujifilm digital camera to use Kopin Viewfinder
> Spectra-Photonics magazine:
>
> Fujifilm Corp. of Tokyo will intergrate the CyberEVR 230K-NF
> electronic viewfinder from Kopin Corp. of Tauton, Mass., into its
> FinePix S700 digital camera, designed primarily for amateur
> photographers interested in upgrading to an SLR-styled digital camera
> with advanced features. The viewfinder is designed to provide
> detailed images-even in bright sunlight - and to enable fine focusing.
>
> Thing I don't get is why the S-700? It's a cheap Fuji. If this
> finder is so great, why not put it in the top line Fuji P&S?

Because electronic viewfinders are not yet the equal to optical. Maybe
someday, but until then the better equipment will continue to have optical
finders.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

"Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46c6d01a$0$23519$(E-Mail Removed)...
> RichA wrote:
>> Fujifilm digital camera to use Kopin Viewfinder
>> Spectra-Photonics magazine:
>>
>> Fujifilm Corp. of Tokyo will intergrate the CyberEVR 230K-NF
>> electronic viewfinder from Kopin Corp. of Tauton, Mass., into its
>> FinePix S700 digital camera, designed primarily for amateur
>> photographers interested in upgrading to an SLR-styled digital camera
>> with advanced features. The viewfinder is designed to provide
>> detailed images-even in bright sunlight - and to enable fine focusing.
>>
>> Thing I don't get is why the S-700? It's a cheap Fuji. If this
>> finder is so great, why not put it in the top line Fuji P&S?

> Because electronic viewfinders are not yet the equal to optical. Maybe
> someday, but until then the better equipment will continue to have optical
> finders.
>
> --
> Joseph Meehan
>
> Dia 's Muire duit

How could they ever be? They need to downsample the image to display it on
a small screen and that makes it useless for checking sharpness.

David J. Littleboy

"N" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> Because electronic viewfinders are not yet the equal to optical.
>> Maybe someday, but until then the better equipment will continue to have
>> optical finders.
>>

> How could they ever be? They need to downsample the image to display it
> on a small screen and that makes it useless for checking sharpness.

SLR viewfinders are limited by the fineness of the fresnel lenses and ground
glass or microprisms used. Their resolution is actually quite limited.

So it should be possible to make an electronic viewfinder that's just as
good. Someday.

I liked the EVF on the Sony F707. I suspect the EVFs are getting worse, not
better, though. The ones I've tried in the stores since then have been
hideous. (I haven't tried them all, of course. I was in the largest camera
store in Tokyo today and thought that maybe I should play with a few P&S
cameras and a non-Canon dSLR or two, but just didn't have the energy for
it.)

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Aug 18, 6:39 am, "David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "N" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > "Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Because electronic viewfinders are not yet the equal to optical.
> >> Maybe someday, but until then the better equipment will continue to have
> >> optical finders.

> > How could they ever be? They need to downsample the image to display it
> > on a small screen and that makes it useless for checking sharpness.

> SLR viewfinders are limited by the fineness of the fresnel lenses and ground
> glass or microprisms used. Their resolution is actually quite limited.
>
> So it should be possible to make an electronic viewfinder that's just as
> good. Someday.
>
> I liked the EVF on the Sony F707. I suspect the EVFs are getting worse, not
> better, though. The ones I've tried in the stores since then have been
> hideous. (I haven't tried them all, of course. I was in the largest camera
> store in Tokyo today and thought that maybe I should play with a few P&S
> cameras and a non-Canon dSLR or two, but just didn't have the energy for
> it.)
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

Properly prepared ground glass is a really high res way to focus. I
used to have a camera where I could change the focusing plane. Would
love to have that on a DSLR camera I could afford. I do a lot of macro
work, and placing the plane of best focus is essential to good macro
work.

Still, the DSLR I have beats by a large margin any EVF I have tried.
Microprisms are not THAT bad.

HenryD.

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 07:37:30 -0700, Don Stauffer in Minnesota
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Aug 18, 6:39 am, "David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > How could they ever be? They need to downsample the image to display it
>> > on a small screen and that makes it useless for checking sharpness.

>> SLR viewfinders are limited by the fineness of the fresnel lenses and ground
>> glass or microprisms used. Their resolution is actually quite limited.
>>
>> So it should be possible to make an electronic viewfinder that's just as
>> good. Someday.
>>
>> I liked the EVF on the Sony F707. I suspect the EVFs are getting worse, not
>> better, though. The ones I've tried in the stores since then have been
>> hideous. (I haven't tried them all, of course. I was in the largest camera
>> store in Tokyo today and thought that maybe I should play with a few P&S
>> cameras and a non-Canon dSLR or two, but just didn't have the energy for
>> it.)
>>
>> David J. Littleboy
>> Tokyo, Japan

>Properly prepared ground glass is a really high res way to focus. I
>used to have a camera where I could change the focusing plane. Would
>love to have that on a DSLR camera I could afford. I do a lot of macro
>work, and placing the plane of best focus is essential to good macro
>work.
>
>Still, the DSLR I have beats by a large margin any EVF I have tried.
>Microprisms are not THAT bad.

Actually ground-glass focusing screens are a detriment to good focusing ability.
A clear glass screen is the ultimate tool, where you are focusing on the exact
virtual image that is reaching your sensing medium, with nothing in the way to
ruin the smallest of details. I use one often on my Olympus SLR for use through
the microscope and telescope. In fact due to the low light levels it's the only
focusing screen that makes the SLR usable in this manner.

Now to address all the other misinformation in this whole thread.

Any EVF of high enough resolution is more than capable of providing all the
image data that you need to achieve a good focus. The ability to focus is not
dependent on an optical viewfinder, it's dependent on how accurately that image
is relayed to your eye. Optically or electronically matters not. If you can
focus at pixel level (which is impossible to do on a dSLR), but is possible on a
good EVF with a focus-assist feature then you can't get better than that for
digital imaging. You cannot focus finer than the weakest link, that being the
resolution of your pixels.

The upside of an EVF system is that you also see the exact image that will end
up on your final photo. DOF effects, shutter-speed effects, and all. This of
course is impossible with a dSLR with only an OVF available.

Please dSLR fans, at least learn to educate yourselves on the benefits of going
totally digital instead of continuing to spread your blatant misinformations
over the EVF vs. OVF wars. I understand how you have to try to justify your
outlandish costs and misinformed choices at every turn, but don't do it while
making yourselves look like utter fools too. Thanks.

Randall Ainsworth

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thing I don't get is why the S-700? It's a cheap Fuji. If this
> finder is so great, why not put it in the top line Fuji P&S?

What I don't get is why you keep babbling on about things you know
nothing about.

RichA

On Aug 18, 10:37 am, Don Stauffer in Minnesota <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Aug 18, 6:39 am, "David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > How could they ever be? They need to downsample the image to display it
> > > on a small screen and that makes it useless for checking sharpness.

> > SLR viewfinders are limited by the fineness of the fresnel lenses and ground
> > glass or microprisms used. Their resolution is actually quite limited.

> > So it should be possible to make an electronic viewfinder that's just as
> > good. Someday.

> > I liked the EVF on the Sony F707. I suspect the EVFs are getting worse, not
> > better, though. The ones I've tried in the stores since then have been
> > hideous. (I haven't tried them all, of course. I was in the largest camera
> > store in Tokyo today and thought that maybe I should play with a few P&S
> > cameras and a non-Canon dSLR or two, but just didn't have the energy for
> > it.)

> > David J. Littleboy
> > Tokyo, Japan

> Properly prepared ground glass is a really high res way to focus. I
> used to have a camera where I could change the focusing plane. Would
> love to have that on a DSLR camera I could afford. I do a lot of macro
> work, and placing the plane of best focus is essential to good macro
> work.
>
> Still, the DSLR I have beats by a large margin any EVF I have tried.
> Microprisms are not THAT bad.

A magnifying EVF or LCD is superior for ultra-critical focusing on
static objects.

TRICKY VLAN ACL issues (reflexive VACLs!!!) jagg Cisco 2 01-09-2009 06:51 PM
FWSM reflexive access lists EdDarby Cisco 0 03-06-2008 02:30 PM
Reflexive ACL support in hardware.. ratsut@gmail.com Cisco 1 06-21-2007 02:03 AM
Reflexive ACL on 3750 DM Cisco 3 05-23-2006 05:23 PM
Can't find many sites,Bell said may be spyware,I think its Bell poor DSL Thaqalain Computer Support 2 09-28-2005 01:07 AM

Advertisments