Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > shared folder on wireless network

shared folder on wireless network

=?Utf-8?B?ZnJlZCBmbGludHN0b25l?=

I have a laptop and desktop with Windows XP home. I have a Belkin Wireless G
router that my roadrunner internet connects through.
The router has a firewall enabled.
1-Do I still need software firewalls on my desktop and laptop?
2-I have software firewalls and I am trying to enable file sharing so I can
transfer files between the desktop and laptop, I ran the network setup wizard
and I am unable to share files.
3-What router security should I use? I have 64 wep, 128 wep and wpa/wpa2 to
choose from

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
1. Yes you do need software Firewall on each computer.
This page would explain the reason, http://ezlan.net/firewall.html
2. From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
No Security
WEP64____(Easy, to "Brake" by knowledgeable people).
WEP128___(Hard, but possible to Brake).
WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Brake ).
WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
your Wireless hardware.
phrase.
of one of the Wireless devices.
device with a better one.
3. Successful Sharing involves some general consideration in Network
settings,http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Basic XP -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"fred flintstone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a laptop and desktop with Windows XP home. I have a Belkin Wireless
> router that my roadrunner internet connects through.
> The router has a firewall enabled.
> 1-Do I still need software firewalls on my desktop and laptop?
> 2-I have software firewalls and I am trying to enable file sharing so I
> can
> transfer files between the desktop and laptop, I ran the network setup
> wizard
> and I am unable to share files.
> 3-What router security should I use? I have 64 wep, 128 wep and wpa/wpa2
> choose from

=?Utf-8?B?ZnJlZCBmbGludHN0b25l?=

Thanks, I have some homework to do.

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> 1. Yes you do need software Firewall on each computer.
> This page would explain the reason, http://ezlan.net/firewall.html
> 2. From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
> No Security
> MAC______(Band Aid if nothing else is available).
> WEP64____(Easy, to "Brake" by knowledgeable people).
> WEP128___(Hard, but possible to Brake).
> WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Brake ).
> WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
> WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
> The documentation of your Wireless devices (Wireless Router, and Wireless
> Computer's Card) should state the type of security that is available with
> your Wireless hardware.
> All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass
> phrase.
> Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best possible
> of one of the Wireless devices.
> I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to the
> max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to max . of
> WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP.
> If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card that can
> do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole Network, replace the
> device with a better one.
> 3. Successful Sharing involves some general consideration in Network
> settings,http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
> allowed to be shared.
> Vista File and Printer Sharing-
> Basic XP -
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...lesharing.mspx
> Advanced XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;304040
> Printer Sharing XP -
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "fred flintstone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a laptop and desktop with Windows XP home. I have a Belkin Wireless
> > router that my roadrunner internet connects through.
> > The router has a firewall enabled.
> > 1-Do I still need software firewalls on my desktop and laptop?
> > 2-I have software firewalls and I am trying to enable file sharing so I
> > can
> > transfer files between the desktop and laptop, I ran the network setup
> > wizard
> > and I am unable to share files.
> > 3-What router security should I use? I have 64 wep, 128 wep and wpa/wpa2
> > choose from

=?Utf-8?B?ZnJlZCBmbGludHN0b25l?=

How do I get rid of all the networks that the network wizard setup that do
not work?
Should the shared files folder be accessable through my computer or network
places?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
1. Delete the icons that cab be deleted and relax, after few hours the rest
would disappear by it self.
2. You can share through the computer or and network places.
The easiest is to map the drives/folders,
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html#map