Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python and Tkinter Programming--Expensive!

Python and Tkinter Programming--Expensive!

W. Watson

Why is the book in Subject (author is Grayson) so expensive? $100 on Amazon
and $195 on ABE. Aren't there alternatives?
--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: <speckledwithStars.net>

kyosohma@gmail.com

On Aug 17, 12:59 pm, "W. Watson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Why is the book in Subject (author is Grayson) so expensive? $100 on Amazon
> and $195 on ABE. Aren't there alternatives?
> --
> Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)
>
> Web Page: <speckledwithStars.net>

Probably because it is out of print, and thus, hard-to-find. I got my
copy last year and it definitely didn't cost that much then.

Mike

James Stroud

W. Watson wrote:
> Why is the book in Subject (author is Grayson) so expensive? $100 on
> Amazon and $195 on ABE. Aren't there alternatives?

Read the fine print. Its available as an ebook for about $25.00 at
Manning. You can print out just the parts you need--or read it from your
iphone.

James

--
James Stroud
Box 951570

http://www.jamesstroud.com/

Nick Craig-Wood

W. Watson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Why is the book in Subject (author is Grayson) so expensive? $100 on Amazon
> and $195 on ABE. Aren't there alternatives?

There is an excellent section (266 pages) on TKinter in "Programming
Python" by Mark Lutz. I've got the 2nd edition.

Lutz concentrates on TK programming using classes, making re-usable
components which I found really helpful compared to the ad-hoc way I'd
seen TK presented previously.

--
Nick Craig-Wood <(E-Mail Removed)> -- http://www.craig-wood.com/nick

W. Watson

Thanks. I'm borrowing it from a library and see the URL on the back of the
book. <www.manning.com/grayson>

--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: <speckledwithStars.net>

W. Watson

Thanks. I'll test the waters on Amazon.

Nick Craig-Wood wrote:
> W. Watson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Why is the book in Subject (author is Grayson) so expensive? $100 on Amazon
>> and $195 on ABE. Aren't there alternatives?

> There is an excellent section (266 pages) on TKinter in "Programming
> Python" by Mark Lutz. I've got the 2nd edition.
>
> Lutz concentrates on TK programming using classes, making re-usable
> components which I found really helpful compared to the ad-hoc way I'd
> seen TK presented previously.

--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: <speckledwithStars.net>

Kevin Walzer

Nick Craig-Wood wrote:
> W. Watson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Why is the book in Subject (author is Grayson) so expensive? $100 on Amazon
>> and $195 on ABE. Aren't there alternatives?

> There is an excellent section (266 pages) on TKinter in "Programming
> Python" by Mark Lutz. I've got the 2nd edition.
>
> Lutz concentrates on TK programming using classes, making re-usable
> components which I found really helpful compared to the ad-hoc way I'd
> seen TK presented previously.

+1 on Lutz. It's very current, and has helped me learn Tkinter
programming (and I already have a background with Tk via Tcl).

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin

peter

On 17 Aug, 18:59, "W. Watson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Why is the book in Subject (author is Grayson) so expensive? $100 on Amazon
> and $195 on ABE. Aren't there alternatives?
> --
> Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)
>
> Web Page: <speckledwithStars.net>

I got hold of a copy a couple of years ago via my public library, and
quite frankly didn't find it much use. It was too brief on the
basics, and the bulk of the book was taken up with a description of an
extension called Python Megawidgets. Such Tkinter knowledge as I have
acquired came from Frederik Lundh's tutorial, which is free!

http://www.pythonware.com/media/data...to-tkinter.pdf

I recorded my experiences here:

http://www.aqzj33.dsl.pipex.com/how_...r/contents.htm

Surprisingly the address is still valid, as I stoped that isp
subscription about a year ago. But the email I cite there has been
abandoned to spam now.

Peter