Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless adaptors

Wireless adaptors

Tony Williams

I am setting up a home wireless network for a friend. He has two laptops
which have inbuilt wireless adaptors. Are these any less efficient than
buying and installing network adaptor cards from whichever ADSL Router
manufacturer I buy for him?
Thanks
Tony

Barb Bowman

nope. 802.11b/g and 802.11a are standards and should be
interoperable. there are a few draft 802.11n routers out, but from
what I've seen, all the major chipsets support b/g will work fine
with them as long as they are configured as n/b/g

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Tony Williams

Thanks Barb. Is there any downside with reception with built in adaptors in
laptops as distinct from the usb or pcmi cards?
Tony
"Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> nope. 802.11b/g and 802.11a are standards and should be
> interoperable. there are a few draft 802.11n routers out, but from
> what I've seen, all the major chipsets support b/g will work fine
> with them as long as they are configured as n/b/g
>
> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 16:42:52 +0100, "Tony Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I am setting up a home wireless network for a friend. He has two laptops
>>which have inbuilt wireless adaptors. Are these any less efficient than
>>buying and installing network adaptor cards from whichever ADSL Router
>>manufacturer I buy for him?
>>Thanks
>>Tony
>>

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

everything depends on environment. generally no. unless these are
older laptops with b only.

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 17:17:56 +0100, "Tony Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Thanks Barb. Is there any downside with reception with built in adaptors in
>laptops as distinct from the usb or pcmi cards?
>Tony
>"Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> nope. 802.11b/g and 802.11a are standards and should be
>> interoperable. there are a few draft 802.11n routers out, but from
>> what I've seen, all the major chipsets support b/g will work fine
>> with them as long as they are configured as n/b/g
>>
>> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 16:42:52 +0100, "Tony Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I am setting up a home wireless network for a friend. He has two laptops
>>>which have inbuilt wireless adaptors. Are these any less efficient than
>>>buying and installing network adaptor cards from whichever ADSL Router
>>>manufacturer I buy for him?
>>>Thanks
>>>Tony
>>>

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
The pre installed Wireless are usually very good.
In general there is a very little difference between the name Brands
Wireless client cards (adapters), getting a good Wireless Router is much
more important.
No matter what Do not get a combo ADSL Modem/Router, there are Not as good
as the stand alone Modem, and stand alone Wireless cable?DSL Router.
Currently my personal preference is, http://www.ezlan.net/buffalo.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Tony Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Barb. Is there any downside with reception with built in adaptors
> in laptops as distinct from the usb or pcmi cards?
> Tony
> "Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> nope. 802.11b/g and 802.11a are standards and should be
>> interoperable. there are a few draft 802.11n routers out, but from
>> what I've seen, all the major chipsets support b/g will work fine
>> with them as long as they are configured as n/b/g
>>
>> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 16:42:52 +0100, "Tony Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I am setting up a home wireless network for a friend. He has two laptops
>>>which have inbuilt wireless adaptors. Are these any less efficient than
>>>buying and installing network adaptor cards from whichever ADSL Router
>>>manufacturer I buy for him?
>>>Thanks
>>>Tony
>>>

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP

Lem

Tony Williams wrote:
> Thanks Barb. Is there any downside with reception with built in adaptors in
> laptops as distinct from the usb or pcmi cards?
> Tony
> "Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> nope. 802.11b/g and 802.11a are standards and should be
>> interoperable. there are a few draft 802.11n routers out, but from
>> what I've seen, all the major chipsets support b/g will work fine
>> with them as long as they are configured as n/b/g
>>
>> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 16:42:52 +0100, "Tony Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I am setting up a home wireless network for a friend. He has two laptops
>>> which have inbuilt wireless adaptors. Are these any less efficient than
>>> buying and installing network adaptor cards from whichever ADSL Router
>>> manufacturer I buy for him?
>>> Thanks
>>> Tony
>>>

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP

You can usually add an external antenna and/or an extension cable to
add-on pci or usb wifi adapters (and even some pcmci cards) to get the
antenna located more advantageously (or to add a high-gain antenna). I
don't think laptops usually have external antenna connections, but if
you like to tinker ... http://repair4laptop.org/wireless_lan_antennae.html

--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking

Jim

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

> You can usually add an external antenna and/or an extension cable to
> add-on pci or usb wifi adapters (and even some pcmci cards) to get the
> antenna located more advantageously (or to add a high-gain antenna). I
> don't think laptops usually have external antenna connections, but if you
> like to tinker ... http://repair4laptop.org/wireless_lan_antennae.html
>
> --
> Lem MS MVP -- Networking

To add to what Len posted, the antenna on my laptop is built into the
display. It must some sort of large loop antenna.
The interface is an Intel device which works quite well with my Linksys
router. The laptop is about 25 feet from the router.
Jim

Tony Williams

Thanks everyone lots to think about!
Tony
"Tony Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am setting up a home wireless network for a friend. He has two laptops
>which have inbuilt wireless adaptors. Are these any less efficient than
>buying and installing network adaptor cards from whichever ADSL Router
>manufacturer I buy for him?
> Thanks
> Tony

Mel

I would recommend getting Network Magic , It cost $29.95 Install it on both
computers it works great and you can share File or printers
Good Luck