Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > best GUI library for vector drawing program

best GUI library for vector drawing program

chewie54

Hello,

What would be the best cross-platform GUI library to use for a vector
based CAD program ( something like Visio on Windows ) WxWidgets,
Tk, PyQt, Java Swing, Java SWT,???? I need the capibility to
draw and edit in a window that looks like a page of paper so WYSIWYG
is very important, and I need to save the drawings in vector based
file formats like PS, EPS, SVG, as well as image formats like jpg,
png, and gif. Also, the images need to be high resolution so that
they can be pasted into various other programs in Windows OS, and
Linux OS, and the Mac OS.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Victor Bazarov

chewie54 wrote:
> What would be the best cross-platform GUI library to use for a vector
> based CAD program ( something like Visio on Windows ) WxWidgets,
> Tk, PyQt, Java Swing, Java SWT,???? I need the capibility to
> draw and edit in a window that looks like a page of paper so WYSIWYG
> is very important, and I need to save the drawings in vector based
> file formats like PS, EPS, SVG, as well as image formats like jpg,
> png, and gif. Also, the images need to be high resolution so that
> they can be pasted into various other programs in Windows OS, and
> Linux OS, and the Mac OS.

You might actually consider asking in the 'comp.graphics' hierarchy
instead of the language newsgroups.

chewie54

On Aug 17, 9:45 am, "Victor Bazarov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> chewie54 wrote:
> > What would be the best cross-platform GUI library to use for a vector
> > based CAD program ( something like Visio on Windows ) WxWidgets,
> > Tk, PyQt, Java Swing, Java SWT,???? I need the capibility to
> > draw and edit in a window that looks like a page of paper so WYSIWYG
> > is very important, and I need to save the drawings in vector based
> > file formats like PS, EPS, SVG, as well as image formats like jpg,
> > png, and gif. Also, the images need to be high resolution so that
> > they can be pasted into various other programs in Windows OS, and
> > Linux OS, and the Mac OS.

> You might actually consider asking in the 'comp.graphics' hierarchy
> instead of the language newsgroups.

That group doesn't seem to be active anymore.

kyosohma@gmail.com

On Aug 17, 8:27 am, chewie54 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What would be the best cross-platform GUI library to use for a vector
> based CAD program ( something like Visio on Windows ) WxWidgets,
> Tk, PyQt, Java Swing, Java SWT,???? I need the capibility to
> draw and edit in a window that looks like a page of paper so WYSIWYG
> is very important, and I need to save the drawings in vector based
> file formats like PS, EPS, SVG, as well as image formats like jpg,
> png, and gif. Also, the images need to be high resolution so that
> they can be pasted into various other programs in Windows OS, and
> Linux OS, and the Mac OS.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Dan

I think wxPython in conjunction with PIL and/or matplotlib could work.
I'm pretty sure the people on the wxPython user's list have done
vector graphics using those other libraries.

Mike

Mark Bluemel

chewie54 wrote:
> On Aug 17, 9:45 am, "Victor Bazarov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> chewie54 wrote:
>>> What would be the best cross-platform GUI library to use for a vector
>>> based CAD program ( something like Visio on Windows )

<snip>
>> You might actually consider asking in the 'comp.graphics' hierarchy
>> instead of the language newsgroups.

> That group doesn't seem to be active anymore.

Victor talked about a hierarchy, not a specific group.

Try http://groups.google.co.uk/groups/di...83999&expand=1

pierbrun@alice.it

I used wxWidgets for a work like that. I found it quite easy to use and
I found simple to create a Gui with wxdev which is quite rad.
bye
Pier Paolo

chewie54

On Aug 17, 9:27 am, chewie54 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What would be the best cross-platform GUI library to use for a vector
> based CAD program ( something like Visio on Windows ) WxWidgets,
> Tk, PyQt, Java Swing, Java SWT,???? I need the capibility to
> draw and edit in a window that looks like a page of paper so WYSIWYG
> is very important, and I need to save the drawings in vector based
> file formats like PS, EPS, SVG, as well as image formats like jpg,
> png, and gif. Also, the images need to be high resolution so that
> they can be pasted into various other programs in Windows OS, and
> Linux OS, and the Mac OS.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Dan

Also, I forgot to mention that it must have scripting capabilities so
and I would like to embed a Tcl or Python interpreter.

Jeremy Sanders

chewie54 wrote:

> What would be the best cross-platform GUI library to use for a vector
> based CAD program ( something like Visio on Windows ) WxWidgets,
> Tk, PyQt, Java Swing, Java SWT,???? I need the capibility to
> draw and edit in a window that looks like a page of paper so WYSIWYG
> is very important, and I need to save the drawings in vector based
> file formats like PS, EPS, SVG, as well as image formats like jpg,
> png, and gif. Also, the images need to be high resolution so that
> they can be pasted into various other programs in Windows OS, and
> Linux OS, and the Mac OS.

PyQt/Qt4 is capable of that (SVG export was added in Qt4.3).

I have a graph drawing application based around it (Veusz).

If you base everything around QPainter, you'll be able to write to any of
those output formats (including eps and pdf), and bitmaps. Antialiasing is
optional for bitmap formats.

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Sanders
http://www.jeremysanders.net/

chewie54

On Aug 17, 12:07 pm, chewie54 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Aug 17, 9:27 am, chewie54 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Hello,

> > What would be the best cross-platform GUI library to use for a vector
> > based CAD program ( something like Visio on Windows ) WxWidgets,
> > Tk, PyQt, Java Swing, Java SWT,???? I need the capibility to
> > draw and edit in a window that looks like a page of paper so WYSIWYG
> > is very important, and I need to save the drawings in vector based
> > file formats like PS, EPS, SVG, as well as image formats like jpg,
> > png, and gif. Also, the images need to be high resolution so that
> > they can be pasted into various other programs in Windows OS, and
> > Linux OS, and the Mac OS.

> > Thanks in advance,
> > Dan

> Also, I forgot to mention that it must have scripting capabilities so
> and I would like to embed a Tcl or Python interpreter.

I should have also mentioned that is for a commercial application.
That
doesn't rule Qt or PyQt out, but this is a startup company with very
little income so my first choice would be to use some GUI library
that
is free to use for commercial apps.

Thanks again,
Dan

Thomas Kellerer

chewie54 wrote on 17.08.2007 15:27:
> Hello,
>
> What would be the best cross-platform GUI library to use for a vector
> based CAD program ( something like Visio on Windows ) WxWidgets,
> Tk, PyQt, Java Swing, Java SWT,???? I need the capibility to
> draw and edit in a window that looks like a page of paper so WYSIWYG
> is very important, and I need to save the drawings in vector based
> file formats like PS, EPS, SVG, as well as image formats like jpg,
> png, and gif. Also, the images need to be high resolution so that
> they can be pasted into various other programs in Windows OS, and
> Linux OS, and the Mac OS.

The NetBeans Platform offers a nice module for this. NetBeans itself uses it for
UML, BPEL and ERD modelling and other features (such as the visual XSD editor)

http://platform.netbeans.org/
http://graph.netbeans.org/

Thomas