Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Which USB standard connector is now required by law?

Which USB standard connector is now required by law?

Sharon Ciccio

Does anyone know WHICH standard USB connector is now required by law in
China?

http://www.eetimes.com/rss/showArtic...etimes_newsRSS

Is it the mini-usb or the micro-usb?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:USB_types.jpg

While the mini-usb has been around since the USB 2.0 spec, the micro-USB is
new in late 2006.

Does anyone know when the USA will enact this sensible law for all portable
electronics?

Thanks in advance,
Sharon

Michael A. Terrell

Sharon Ciccio wrote:

> Here is a photo of the new in 2006 micro-USB connector:
>
> http://www.intomobile.com/2007/05/16...-usb-port.html
>
> This means both USB and mini-USB will go away in favor of micro-USB in all
> portable electronics. That's a good thing. There is nothing bad and
> everything good from that transition.
>
> I never buy any portable electronics device that doesn't run off of USB and
> neither should you if you care about waste.
>
> Sharon

So, you don't want anyone to buy any equipment that requires more than
2.5 watts? Nice try.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Michael A. Terrell

Sharon Ciccio wrote:

> Does anyone know WHICH standard USB connector is now required by law in
> China?
>
> http://www.eetimes.com/rss/showArtic...etimes_newsRSS
>
> Is it the mini-usb or the micro-usb?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:USB_types.jpg
>
> While the mini-usb has been around since the USB 2.0 spec, the micro-USB is
> new in late 2006.
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=196801196
>
> Does anyone know when the USA will enact this sensible law for all portable
> electronics?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Sharon

Too lazy to find the right cable? Plug one of each into a powered USB
hub, and use whatever fits.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Eeyore

Sharon Ciccio wrote:

> Does anyone know WHICH standard USB connector is now required by law in
> China?
>
> http://www.eetimes.com/rss/showArtic...etimes_newsRSS

" The goal is to reduce the number of chargers that are thrown away each year because of cell
phone upgrades. Nearly 100 million cell phones are replaced every year in China, according to
MII. "

WOW !

A sensible idea. Presumably that means all phones will have a 'universal' power input. What a
brilliant idea.

Graham

pcmobile99@yahoo.com

On Aug 17, 4:40 pm, Sharon Ciccio <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Does anyone know WHICH standard USB connector is now required by law in
> China?
>
> http://www.eetimes.com/rss/showArtic...199800238&cid=...
>
> Is it the mini-usb or the micro-usb?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:USB_types.jpg
>
> While the mini-usb has been around since the USB 2.0 spec, the micro-USB is
> new in late 2006.
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...rticleID=19680...
>
> Does anyone know when the USA will enact this sensible law for all portable
> electronics?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Sharon

There are more and more STANDARD mini-USB connectors now than ever
before.
Different manufacturers are using different standard, whether you like
it or not.
There is no such thing as a STANDARD, as you think it, or any
manufacturer is required to use.

pcmobile99@yahoo.com

On Aug 17, 4:40 pm, Sharon Ciccio <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Does anyone know WHICH standard USB connector is now required by law in
> China?
>
> http://www.eetimes.com/rss/showArtic...199800238&cid=...
>
> Is it the mini-usb or the micro-usb?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:USB_types.jpg
>
> While the mini-usb has been around since the USB 2.0 spec, the micro-USB is
> new in late 2006.
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...rticleID=19680...
>
> Does anyone know when the USA will enact this sensible law for all portable
> electronics?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Sharon

I remmeber you were probably the one who was asking devices using a
standard mini-USB charger some months ago.
And you did not get anywhere?
So you know the answer.

Chuck Taylor

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 08:40:06 GMT, Sharon Ciccio
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Does anyone know when the USA will enact this sensible law for all portable
>electronics?

Politicians have no business legislating the implementation of
technology. Not that that's ever stopped them before, of course.

--
Chuck Taylor
http://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/contact/

Pegleg

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Does anyone know when the USA will enact this sensible law for all portable
>electronics?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Sharon

When have you ever seen the USA move efficiently/effectively to
establish "standards"?

I recall being told in the early fifties that the USA would be fully
converted to the metric system within 10 years.....................

Standards in electronics, among other things, are non-existent here.

Pegleg

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 01:53:09 +0300, Sharon Ciccio
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Here is a photo of the new in 2006 micro-USB connector:
>
>http://www.intomobile.com/2007/05/16...-usb-port.html
>
>This means both USB and mini-USB will go away in favor of micro-USB in all
>portable electronics. That's a good thing. There is nothing bad and
>everything good from that transition.
>
>I never buy any portable electronics device that doesn't run off of USB and
>neither should you if you care about waste.
>
>Sharon

Phfffffffffffffffffffft!
Self-righteous twit!

Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Aug 17, 5:53 pm, Sharon Ciccio <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Here is a photo of the new in 2006 micro-USB connector:
>
> http://www.intomobile.com/2007/05/16...-new-micro-usb...
>
> This means both USB and mini-USB will go away in favor of micro-USB in all
> portable electronics. That's a good thing. There is nothing bad and
> everything good from that transition.
>
> I never buy any portable electronics device that doesn't run off of USB and
> neither should you if you care about waste.
>
> Sharon

I think there IS something bad about the small connectors. There is a
lot of mechanical strain on those small connectors and they are much
more likely to suffer from mechanical failure. For equipment that one
wants to use for many years, I prefer better, larger connectors, even
ones with a mechanical "latch", like some of the old serial ports like
the DB9.