Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Quality of bundled batteries?

Quality of bundled batteries?

Nushar

I have a very basic newbie question about how digital cameras are
packaged and sold (could ask the salesman if I trusted them but I'd
rather trust you guys).

I know that bundled memory cards are very small and one is better of
buying a replacement as an accessory.

What about the Li-ion battery that would/might(?) come with camera I
want? Is the bundled battery "full quality" or should one buy a
replacement one right away?

--
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)Z (Remove all XX, YY, ZZ)

Jonathan

Nushar wrote:
> I have a very basic newbie question about how digital cameras are
> packaged and sold (could ask the salesman if I trusted them but I'd
> rather trust you guys).
>
> I know that bundled memory cards are very small and one is better of
> buying a replacement as an accessory.
>
> What about the Li-ion battery that would/might(?) come with camera I
> want? Is the bundled battery "full quality" or should one buy a
> replacement one right away?

That depends on the camera. I still have the same battery that came with my
Nikon DSLR. Which camera do you want?

Nushar

Jonathan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

: That depends on the camera. I still have the same battery that came
: with my Nikon DSLR. Which camera do you want?

Most likely Lumix LX2, although I'll wait to see FZ18 and then decide
if the latter really is too big. My question about quality of bundled
battery was generic, if there is a rule of thumb, like there is with
memory cards.

--
(E-Mail Removed)Z (Remove all XX, YY, ZZ)

Ron Hunter

Nushar wrote:
> I have a very basic newbie question about how digital cameras are
> packaged and sold (could ask the salesman if I trusted them but I'd
> rather trust you guys).
>
> I know that bundled memory cards are very small and one is better of
> buying a replacement as an accessory.
>
> What about the Li-ion battery that would/might(?) come with camera I
> want? Is the bundled battery "full quality" or should one buy a
> replacement one right away?

Lithium-ion batteries that come with the camera are full power
batteries, although higher ratings may be available at a premium. Very
small flash cards are usually supplied with the camera, however. Many
cameras come with AA alkaline batteries which on some cameras will only
give a very limited number of pictures.

Jonathan

Nushar wrote:
> Jonathan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> That depends on the camera. I still have the same battery that came
>> with my Nikon DSLR. Which camera do you want?

> Most likely Lumix LX2, although I'll wait to see FZ18 and then decide
> if the latter really is too big. My question about quality of bundled
> battery was generic, if there is a rule of thumb, like there is with
> memory cards.

I know what you mean as I have many cameras, about a dozen or so and most
come with the smallest memory card available and the cheaper items have
unknown batteries. The high enders don't include memory cards and have
custom batteries. My Sony camcorders for example have smaller ones so I buy
the bigger one to use for longer usage. If you use rechargeable AA batteries
you might want to buy the highest rated 2700 as opposed to the 1800 mAh and
so on. Some cameras don't come with power supplies so it might be a good
idea to buy a nice one for use when downloading photos or use while
connected to a PC.

Jon.

Neil Harrington

"Nushar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:170820070108528972%(E-Mail Removed) ...
>I have a very basic newbie question about how digital cameras are
> packaged and sold (could ask the salesman if I trusted them but I'd
> rather trust you guys).
>
> I know that bundled memory cards are very small and one is better of
> buying a replacement as an accessory.
>
> What about the Li-ion battery that would/might(?) come with camera I
> want? Is the bundled battery "full quality" or should one buy a
> replacement one right away?

Generally speaking, the Li-Ion battery that comes with the camera is the
best quality you can get for that camera. If you buy a second battery of the
camera manufacturer's brand it will be the same thing, and that is in most
cases the only type the manufacturer recommends using.

Replacement batteries *not* of the manufacturer's brand are usually much
cheaper. Whether they are as good as the manufacturer's brand is the subject
of some debate.

Neil

Dave Cohen

Neil Harrington wrote:
> "Nushar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:170820070108528972%(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> I have a very basic newbie question about how digital cameras are
>> packaged and sold (could ask the salesman if I trusted them but I'd
>> rather trust you guys).
>>
>> I know that bundled memory cards are very small and one is better of
>> buying a replacement as an accessory.
>>
>> What about the Li-ion battery that would/might(?) come with camera I
>> want? Is the bundled battery "full quality" or should one buy a
>> replacement one right away?

> Generally speaking, the Li-Ion battery that comes with the camera is the
> best quality you can get for that camera. If you buy a second battery of the
> camera manufacturer's brand it will be the same thing, and that is in most
> cases the only type the manufacturer recommends using.
>
> Replacement batteries *not* of the manufacturer's brand are usually much
> cheaper. Whether they are as good as the manufacturer's brand is the subject
> of some debate.
>
> Neil

I think we are only talking about Li-Ion rechargeable types here.
Alkaline are a throw away item (or nearly so).
Since manufacturers would want you to re-purchase their brand, it would
be counter productive to both that goal and their reputation to supply
an inferior item of any type.
The only reason I can think of for those tiny flash cards and alkalines
where applicable is so that the purchaser can take some test shots
immediately and in the case of the flash card to prove the camera is ok
in the event a third party card exhibited a problem.
I notice on some more recent offerings, the flash card is not included
(Pentax 100D comes to mind.)
Dave Cohen

ray

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 06:08:49 +0000, Nushar wrote:

> I have a very basic newbie question about how digital cameras are
> packaged and sold (could ask the salesman if I trusted them but I'd
> rather trust you guys).
>
> I know that bundled memory cards are very small and one is better of
> buying a replacement as an accessory.
>
> What about the Li-ion battery that would/might(?) come with camera I
> want? Is the bundled battery "full quality" or should one buy a
> replacement one right away?

I've purchased a back-up li-ion battery for my camera, but I've never yet
had to use it.

Neil Harrington

"Dave Cohen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Neil Harrington wrote:
>> "Nushar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:170820070108528972%(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>> I have a very basic newbie question about how digital cameras are
>>> packaged and sold (could ask the salesman if I trusted them but I'd
>>> rather trust you guys).
>>>
>>> I know that bundled memory cards are very small and one is better of
>>> buying a replacement as an accessory.
>>>
>>> What about the Li-ion battery that would/might(?) come with camera I
>>> want? Is the bundled battery "full quality" or should one buy a
>>> replacement one right away?

>> Generally speaking, the Li-Ion battery that comes with the camera is the
>> best quality you can get for that camera. If you buy a second battery of
>> the camera manufacturer's brand it will be the same thing, and that is in
>> most cases the only type the manufacturer recommends using.
>>
>> Replacement batteries *not* of the manufacturer's brand are usually much
>> cheaper. Whether they are as good as the manufacturer's brand is the
>> subject of some debate.
>>
>> Neil
>>

> I think we are only talking about Li-Ion rechargeable types here.

Of course. That's what the OP is asking about.

> Alkaline are a throw away item (or nearly so).
> Since manufacturers would want you to re-purchase their brand, it would be
> counter productive to both that goal and their reputation to supply an
> inferior item of any type.
> The only reason I can think of for those tiny flash cards and alkalines
> where applicable is so that the purchaser can take some test shots
> immediately and in the case of the flash card to prove the camera is ok in
> the event a third party card exhibited a problem.
> I notice on some more recent offerings, the flash card is not included
> (Pentax 100D comes to mind.)
> Dave Cohen

Nikon does not include memory cards with any of their cameras and hasn't
since I've been buying Nikons. In the case of the Coolpix compact models,
the camera itself has enough internal memory to hold several shots, which is
all the user needs to try it out. I assume Nikon just feels that memory
cards are so ubiquitous now, there's no more reason to include them with the
camera than there was to include film with 35s. It's just something the
buyer is expected to provide to suit his own needs.

Neil

TrevM

"Nushar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:170820070108528972%(E-Mail Removed) ...
>I have a very basic newbie question about how digital cameras are
> packaged and sold (could ask the salesman if I trusted them but I'd
> rather trust you guys).
>
> I know that bundled memory cards are very small and one is better of
> buying a replacement as an accessory.
>
> What about the Li-ion battery that would/might(?) come with camera I
> want? Is the bundled battery "full quality" or should one buy a
> replacement one right away?

I always aim to carry a spare charged battery, otherwise Murphy's Law will
ensure you will run out of charge just before your best shots of the day
come along...

As to quality of bundled versus unbranded batteries, I have mixed
experiences. A Li-ion battery supplied from new with a Sony DV cam a few
years back was supposed to last 90 mins on a full charge, but never managed
more than about 30. A very cheap unbranded replacement had 3 times the
nominal capacity, and really does last at least 4 hours running time. I
also had a good result buying a cheap Brand X spare for a Nikon 5000 I used
to have.

On the other hand, I recently bought a spare cheapo battery on ebay for a
Canon G2 which lasts only about half as long as the Canon branded BP511
battery that came with the camera (bought secondhand). Still, it does as a
spare to carry, and only cost about a tenth of the price of the branded one.

TrevM