Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Page displays differently on different computers... what's going on?

Page displays differently on different computers... what's going on?

Tony Calguire

I have three computers running Firefox 2.0.0.6... a Vista laptop, and two
similarly-configured Gigahertz Athlons running Windows 98. I have a 2Wire
DSL modem with a browser-based configuration page.

On two of my computers-- the Vista laptop, and one of the Win98 machines,
the modem config pages display just fine. But on the other Win98 machine,
the modem configuartion pages display graphics improperly, and sometimes
the pages hang while loading. The error console spits out the following:

Warning: Selector expected. Ruleset ignored due to bad selector.
Source File: http://192.168.0.1/css/main.css
Line: 251

Sometimes, there are also error messages about illegal characters in .js
files, but I can't seem to replicate those errors right now.

Anybody know what this might be? I have tried uninstalling and reinstaling
Firefox, but it doesn't help. My sense is that it is probably some
screwed-up DLL in the back end of Windows, but wouldn't know where to start
looking. Anybody have any ideas?

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Tony Calguire wrote:
> I have three computers running Firefox 2.0.0.6... a Vista laptop, and two
> similarly-configured Gigahertz Athlons running Windows 98. I have a 2Wire
> DSL modem with a browser-based configuration page.
>
> On two of my computers-- the Vista laptop, and one of the Win98 machines,
> the modem config pages display just fine. But on the other Win98 machine,
> the modem configuartion pages display graphics improperly, and sometimes
> the pages hang while loading. The error console spits out the following:
>
> Warning: Selector expected. Ruleset ignored due to bad selector.
> Source File: http://192.168.0.1/css/main.css
> Line: 251
>
> Sometimes, there are also error messages about illegal characters in .js
> files, but I can't seem to replicate those errors right now.
>
> Anybody know what this might be? I have tried uninstalling and reinstaling
> Firefox, but it doesn't help. My sense is that it is probably some
> screwed-up DLL in the back end of Windows, but wouldn't know where to start
> looking. Anybody have any ideas?

how about posting the website so someone can see whats going
on and make suggestions?

or Reply to Author. Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Tony Calguire

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:fa2jv8$ab2$(E-Mail Removed):

> how about posting the website so someone can see whats going
> on and make suggestions?

The website is the configuration page of my 2Wire 2700HG-D DSL modem, at
http://192.168.0.1.

Old Enough

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 23:05:13 -0000, Tony Calguire
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The website is the configuration page of my 2Wire 2700HG-D DSL modem, at
>http://192.168.0.1.

A question out of my ignorance: Is the modem configuration page a
web site? I use the same address (192.168.0.1) to configure my D-Link
router.

_________________________________
Old Enough
to know I don't know a thing ....

Tony Calguire

Old Enough <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 23:05:13 -0000, Tony Calguire
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>The website is the configuration page of my 2Wire 2700HG-D DSL modem, at
>>http://192.168.0.1.

> A question out of my ignorance: Is the modem configuration page a
> web site? I use the same address (192.168.0.1) to configure my D-Link
> router.

For all intents and purposes, yes. The DSL modem or router has a web
server on board, and your web browser fetches pages from that web server
like it would fetch pages from any web site.

In my particular situation, I'm pretty sure the problem is not with the
router's OS or web server, because these configuration pages display just
fine, without any error messages, on my other two computers.

I'd like to throw out another question for the experts... I'm thinking
about uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox again, but I'd like to make
sure I get a completely clean reinstall. After using Firefox's uninstall,
what other files, directories, and registry entries do I have to wipe out
in order to ensure that Firefox won't be using old files?

Tony Calguire wrote:
> Old Enough <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 23:05:13 -0000, Tony Calguire
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> The website is the configuration page of my 2Wire 2700HG-D DSL modem, at
>>> http://192.168.0.1.

>> A question out of my ignorance: Is the modem configuration page a
>> web site? I use the same address (192.168.0.1) to configure my D-Link
>> router.
>>

> For all intents and purposes, yes. The DSL modem or router has a web
> server on board, and your web browser fetches pages from that web server
> like it would fetch pages from any web site.
>
> In my particular situation, I'm pretty sure the problem is not with the
> router's OS or web server, because these configuration pages display just
> fine, without any error messages, on my other two computers.
>
> I'd like to throw out another question for the experts... I'm thinking
> about uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox again, but I'd like to make
> sure I get a completely clean reinstall. After using Firefox's uninstall,
> what other files, directories, and registry entries do I have to wipe out
> in order to ensure that Firefox won't be using old files?

forget uninstalling and reinstalling. Thats not your
problem. Its lying with your router. But if you still want
to, you also have to remove the profile. To find your
profile, you need to see this:
http://www.mozilla.org/support/thund...profile#locate

and if you're using windows, then you must read this first:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ddenfiles.mspx

you might want to try asking in one of the microsoft
newsgroups:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.mspx

or try and find a newsgroup/forum for your router/dsl modem

or Reply to Author. Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Rom

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 22:35:18 -0000, Tony Calguire wrote:

> I have three computers running Firefox 2.0.0.6... a Vista laptop, and two
> similarly-configured Gigahertz Athlons running Windows 98. I have a 2Wire
> DSL modem with a browser-based configuration page.
>
> On two of my computers-- the Vista laptop, and one of the Win98 machines,
> the modem config pages display just fine. But on the other Win98 machine,
> the modem configuartion pages display graphics improperly, and sometimes
> the pages hang while loading. The error console spits out the following:
>
> Warning: Selector expected. Ruleset ignored due to bad selector.
> Source File: http://192.168.0.1/css/main.css
> Line: 251

The error console isn't for users, and as a user you can't really do
anything about the web interface of your modem/router.

Do you have any Firefox extensions or security type of software
installed that could be blocking images, ads, sites, apps, etc.?

Are you able to ping 192.168.0.1 when the Firefox hangs trying to load
the modem's web page?

If haven't already try clearing the cache and cookies.

<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Websites_look_wrong>
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_websites>

--
Rom

Rom

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 00:11:35 -0000, Tony Calguire wrote:

> In my particular situation, I'm pretty sure the problem is not with the
> router's OS or web server, because these configuration pages display just
> fine, without any error messages, on my other two computers.
>
> I'd like to throw out another question for the experts... I'm thinking
> about uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox again, but I'd like to make
> sure I get a completely clean reinstall. After using Firefox's uninstall,
> what other files, directories, and registry entries do I have to wipe out
> in order to ensure that Firefox won't be using old files?

You could delete the profile before reinstalling, or create a new
profile and see how that is in comparison.
<http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile#locate>
<http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile#new>

--
Rom

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> To find your
> profile, you need to see this:
> http://www.mozilla.org/support/thund...profile#locate

ooops, that should be:
http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/edit#profile

or Reply to Author. Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Tony Calguire

Rom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> If haven't already try clearing the cache and cookies.
>
> <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Websites_look_wrong>
> <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_websites>

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice. After digging around a little, I
uncovered the problem...

One one of my Firefox computers, but not the other two, I had messed with
the configuration and changed network.http.pipelining to "true". By
resetting this to the default value "false", the router's config web page
now loads and looks normal.