Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD burn failure with Nero 6

DVD burn failure with Nero 6

googleplex

Hi, everyone,

I'm using XP Home and a Sony DRX-500ULX burner and Nero 6 to copy a
DVD that I made.

It's worked before, and pretty well, but now I can't get it to work.
I keep getting burn failure messages.

The disc media is the same too.

The only change is that I reformatted the HD. If that's the problem
area, how would I correct it?

thanks

def456

What kind of DVD disc is it? data/audio/video, size, type (DL or single
layer), brand, rated speed
Narrow it down...
Can you burn anything now successfully? (rules out a bad drive)
If so, try a different burning software (anything but Nero).

"googleplex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi, everyone,
>
> I'm using XP Home and a Sony DRX-500ULX burner and Nero 6 to copy a
> DVD that I made.
>
> It's worked before, and pretty well, but now I can't get it to work.
> I keep getting burn failure messages.
>
> The disc media is the same too.
>
> The only change is that I reformatted the HD. If that's the problem
> area, how would I correct it?
>
> thanks

nick

googleplex wrote:
> Hi, everyone,
>
> I'm using XP Home and a Sony DRX-500ULX burner and Nero 6 to copy a
> DVD that I made.
>
> It's worked before, and pretty well, but now I can't get it to work.
> I keep getting burn failure messages.

When I had a similar prob, I lowered the burn speed to 8x and
all went well.

googleplex

Hi, Def456 and NIck,

Thanks for your replies. I'm using a single layer TDK 4.75 gb DVD - R
disc, I think it's rated at 16x, but the Sony burner's top speed is
4x.

I've tried burning at 2x and still get the error message.

At 1x the Nero program says the disc is 100% completed but won't let
go of the disk, it just hangs at the 'finalziing disc' stage and I
have to reboot the system. Arggg.....

Here's the thing...I loaded Nero on a different PC running XP Pro and
used the same drive, which is external, and got the same error
message. Is there a way of testing the drive?

thanks

def456

"googleplex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Is there a way of testing the drive?

There's a drivecheck diagnostic test available for your Sony DRX-500ULX
burner, as well as a firmware upgrade 2.1A
http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/drx500ulxdwn.htm

googleplex

Thanks, I downloaded the diagnostic test from Sony, but it is taking
forever. Currently it has been running for 2 hours, it seems hung up
on the 'performing write test' section.

Any thoughts?

googleplex

I' ve tried to run the diagnostic program twice, but each time it
hangs up halfway thru its 'performing write test' section.

Any thoughts on this?

thanks

def456

"googleplex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I' ve tried to run the diagnostic program twice, but each time it
> hangs up halfway thru its 'performing write test' section.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

My first thought is a faulty drive. I might try cleaning it, at least blow
out the dust. Also might try flashing the firmware upgrade 2.1A. Another
trick might be to uninstall the drive as well as the secondary IDE
controller in Device Manager and let windows reinstall them. If none of
those things work, personally I wouldn't spend a lot of time on it because
DVD writers are fairly cheap now, so I'd probably get a new one.

Jeff

googleplex <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> Hi, Def456 and NIck,
>
> Thanks for your replies. I'm using a single layer TDK 4.75 gb DVD - R
> disc, I think it's rated at 16x, but the Sony burner's top speed is
> 4x.
>
> I've tried burning at 2x and still get the error message.
>
> At 1x the Nero program says the disc is 100% completed but won't let
> go of the disk, it just hangs at the 'finalziing disc' stage and I
> have to reboot the system. Arggg.....
>
> Here's the thing...I loaded Nero on a different PC running XP Pro and
> used the same drive, which is external, and got the same error
> message. Is there a way of testing the drive?
>

> thanks

1. Every burn on the first PC, regardless of speed, fails.
2. Testing on another PC, fails
3. Testing with the diagnostic program, fails
4. Testing again with the diagnostic program, fails

Clearly it is time to replace the drive. A 4X drive must be at least 4
years old, already longer than many drives last.

googleplex

Could you recommend a good replacement drive?

thanks