Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > snow pictures

snow pictures

mikec

i am going up a glacier with my little Olympus l400 camera but i've lost the
instructions book.
what should i do to make the best of mountain/glacier situations please?? i
have no idea what all the adjustments can do.
Mike

RonTheGuy

mikec wrote:
> i am going up a glacier with my little Olympus l400 camera but i've lost the
> instructions book.
> what should i do to make the best of mountain/glacier situations please?? i
> have no idea what all the adjustments can do.
> Mike

Did you check the Olympus web site to get a copy of the manual? They
keep copies of old ones available.
Ron

David J. Littleboy

"mikec" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>i am going up a glacier with my little Olympus l400 camera but i've lost
>the instructions book.
> what should i do to make the best of mountain/glacier situations please??
> i have no idea what all the adjustments can do.

Use the spot meter. Place the snow at zone VII. Or zone VI for a darker look
with better highlight detail retention.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

ray

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 19:06:47 +0100, mikec wrote:

> i am going up a glacier with my little Olympus l400 camera but i've lost the
> instructions book.
> what should i do to make the best of mountain/glacier situations please?? i
> have no idea what all the adjustments can do.
> Mike

So, you're standing out in the middle of the glacier waiting for an
answer? How about finding the user manual on the manufacturer's web site.

Pat

On Aug 16, 2:06 pm, "mikec" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> i am going up a glacier with my little Olympus l400 camera but i've lost the
> instructions book.
> what should i do to make the best of mountain/glacier situations please?? i
> have no idea what all the adjustments can do.
> Mike

Hand the camera to a 12-year-old and ask him to set it up for you.

mikec

"David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote >

Use the spot meter. Place the snow at zone VII. Or zone VI for a darker look
with better highlight detail retention.

I regret this is double dutch to me!

i have looked on olympus website (i'm not completely stupid) and there is
nothing listed. i don't have a 12 year old handy and i'm not going to the
glacier till friday night. (to answer the various smart arses who seem to
think they are clever and/or funny.)

mike

John McWilliams

mikec wrote:
> "David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote >
>
> Use the spot meter. Place the snow at zone VII. Or zone VI for a darker look
> with better highlight detail retention.
>
> I regret this is double dutch to me!
>
> i have looked on olympus website (i'm not completely stupid) and there is
> nothing listed. i don't have a 12 year old handy and i'm not going to the
> glacier till friday night. (to answer the various smart arses who seem to
> think they are clever and/or funny.)

Set it on Manual. Experiment and check histogram/image.

Good luck!

--
john mcwilliams

Ray Paseur

"mikec" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> i am going up a glacier with my little Olympus l400 camera but i've
> lost the instructions book.
> what should i do to make the best of mountain/glacier situations
> please?? i have no idea what all the adjustments can do.
> Mike

Rule of thumb: Underexpose dark scenes and overexpose bright scenes.
Here's why: Your camera meter "thinks" everything in its measurement zone
is 18% gray. So if the camera meter looks at a brilliant blue-white
glacier and tries to set the exposure as if it were looking at 18% gray,
the exposure will be set to make the glacier look 18% gray. Which it's
not. Instead, try taking a meter reading off the palm of your hand, and
using that setting to photograph the glacier. Your hand is pretty close to
18% gray. So is a well-cared for lawn, in case you're shooting on a golf
course. You should consider bracketing the exposure reading off your hand,
too. It's great up there on the glaciers! ~Ray

Ron Hunter

mikec wrote:
> "David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote >
>
> Use the spot meter. Place the snow at zone VII. Or zone VI for a darker look
> with better highlight detail retention.
>
> I regret this is double dutch to me!
>
> i have looked on olympus website (i'm not completely stupid) and there is
> nothing listed. i don't have a 12 year old handy and i'm not going to the
> glacier till friday night. (to answer the various smart arses who seem to
> think they are clever and/or funny.)
>
> mike

Probably they aren't sympathetic to someone who can't seem to find his
manual. Most people keep them, just in case they have some disaster,
and they need to know where to send the camera for repair. Heaven
forbid anyone should ever actually READ one before trying to use the camera!

I don't see the model your listed on the Olympus site, which seems a bit
strange to me, as it is listed in numerous reviews. Is this a new camera?
If you really don't know what spot meter settings, or zones are, then I
suggest you set it on 'Auto', and enjoy. And spend some quality time
with the manual when you get back. Have fun on the glacier, and wear
some heavy socks!

Ron Hunter

Ray Paseur wrote:
> "mikec" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> i am going up a glacier with my little Olympus l400 camera but i've
>> lost the instructions book.
>> what should i do to make the best of mountain/glacier situations
>> please?? i have no idea what all the adjustments can do.
>> Mike
>>

> Rule of thumb: Underexpose dark scenes and overexpose bright scenes.
> Here's why: Your camera meter "thinks" everything in its measurement zone
> is 18% gray. So if the camera meter looks at a brilliant blue-white
> glacier and tries to set the exposure as if it were looking at 18% gray,
> the exposure will be set to make the glacier look 18% gray. Which it's
> not. Instead, try taking a meter reading off the palm of your hand, and
> using that setting to photograph the glacier. Your hand is pretty close to
> 18% gray. So is a well-cared for lawn, in case you're shooting on a golf
> course. You should consider bracketing the exposure reading off your hand,
> too. It's great up there on the glaciers! ~Ray

Hummm. Ray, I have gray hair, but my palm is still a healthy shade of
pink. Grin.
But, you are right about the camera doing its best to make the ice,
which is quite blue in a glacier, look white, or a dirty gray.