Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How to calibrate LCD monitor (LG L194WT) ??

How to calibrate LCD monitor (LG L194WT) ??

Beladi Nasralla

I have a PC with a videocard nVidia 7600GT. Few days ago I got an LCD
monitor LG L194WT.

Well, this turned out to be a cheap and nasty monitor. I have
experience with using a higher-class LCD monitor for playing games and
editing digital photographic pictures.

In this monitor on the standard settings, the text in webbrowser is
al'right, however all images are too dark. I tried to adjust the
monitor. First of all, I decreased the brightness to 50% (the monitor
is too bright). Secondly, I went to the video card driver software
("nVidia Control Panel"), and adjusted the gamma running "Display
optimization wizard". Unfortunately, the game Half Life 2 DM is still
too dark. Whatever knobs/settings I twist, it is dark. The monitor has
modes "normal", "user", "text" and "movie"... all of them leave the
images dark.

The only thing left is to go to the nVidia Control Panel, and adjust
gamma within "Desktop color settings". This is very effective, and
brightens the dark tones... however, am I soomed to increase gamma
every time I want play game HL2DM, and decrease it when I go back into
the desktop !?? Are there better ways ? Or, being cheap, the monitor
does not have a high enough dynamic range for adjustment ??

Mike Easter

Beladi Nasralla wrote:

> however, am I soomed to increase gamma
> every time I want play game HL2DM, and decrease it when I go back into
> the desktop !??

Yes.

--
Mike Easter

Beladi Nasralla

On Aug 17, 12:46 am, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Beladi Nasralla wrote:
> > however, am I soomed to increase gamma
> > every time I want play game HL2DM, and decrease it when I go back into
> > the desktop !??

> Yes.

Why ? I did not have to do it when I was using the laptop. In the
laptop, the pictures in the desktop had a proper tonality, and the
game had proper tonality, too.

Mike Easter

Beladi Nasralla wrote:
> "Mike Easter"
>> Beladi Nasralla wrote:
>>> however, am I soomed to increase gamma
>>> every time I want play game HL2DM, and decrease it when I go back
>>> into the desktop !??

>> Yes.

> Why ?

Why are you asking me why?

> I did not have to do it when I was using the laptop. In the
> laptop, the pictures in the desktop had a proper tonality, and the
> game had proper tonality, too.

See? The LT did and the LG L194WT does not. That 'proves' it. One
does, one does not.

Would you care to explain why the LT did?

We are talking about your visual perception difference between two
monitor screens which I cannot see and you want me to explain why your
visual perception in one environment requires a particular kind of
adjustment and not in another.

How zany is that?

--
Mike Easter

Mike Roman

news:46c4713b$0$97264$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
> Beladi Nasralla wrote:
>
>> however, am I soomed to increase gamma
>> every time I want play game HL2DM, and decrease it when I go back into
>> the desktop !??

> Yes.

Brilliant. One word answers are sooooooo cool.

ransley

On Aug 16, 9:38 am, "Mike Roman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:46c4713b$0$97264$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
>
> > Beladi Nasralla wrote:

> >> however, am I soomed to increase gamma
> >> every time I want play game HL2DM, and decrease it when I go back into
> >> the desktop !??

> > Yes.

> Brilliant. One word answers are sooooooo cool.

Doesnt the game have its own adjustable setting for brightness. There
may be an updated driver from nvidea or LG

Conor

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
Beladi Nasralla says...
> I have a PC with a videocard nVidia 7600GT. Few days ago I got an LCD
> monitor LG L194WT.
>
> Well, this turned out to be a cheap and nasty monitor. I have
> experience with using a higher-class LCD monitor for playing games and
> editing digital photographic pictures.
>
> In this monitor on the standard settings, the text in webbrowser is
> al'right, however all images are too dark. I tried to adjust the
> monitor. First of all, I decreased the brightness to 50% (the monitor
> is too bright). Secondly, I went to the video card driver software
> ("nVidia Control Panel"), and adjusted the gamma running "Display
> optimization wizard". Unfortunately, the game Half Life 2 DM is still
> too dark. Whatever knobs/settings I twist, it is dark. The monitor has
> modes "normal", "user", "text" and "movie"... all of them leave the
> images dark.

I have no issues. Must be you.

--
Conor

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts. -- Albert Einstein

Augustus

"Beladi Nasralla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I have a PC with a videocard nVidia 7600GT. Few days ago I got an LCD
> monitor LG L194WT.
>
> Well, this turned out to be a cheap and nasty monitor. I have
> experience with using a higher-class LCD monitor for playing games and
> editing digital photographic pictures.
>
> In this monitor on the standard settings, the text in webbrowser is
> al'right, however all images are too dark. I tried to adjust the
> monitor. First of all, I decreased the brightness to 50% (the monitor
> is too bright). Secondly, I went to the video card driver software
> ("nVidia Control Panel"), and adjusted the gamma running "Display
> optimization wizard". Unfortunately, the game Half Life 2 DM is still
> too dark. Whatever knobs/settings I twist, it is dark. The monitor has
> modes "normal", "user", "text" and "movie"... all of them leave the
> images dark.

This particular monitor gets pretty good reviews all round for a lower
priced one. Contrast ratio 2000:1....unlikely that darkness of the images is
going to be an issue. Very few complaints in many reviews. I'd tend to go
along with the previous poster and suggest that it's got to be something on
your end rather than the monitor. Try checking your connection.
http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors...-32154877.html

babaloo

Personally I find that most first pesron shooters, Doom 3 et al, are
unplayable in daylight no matter what kind of monitor is used, although you
can crank up the brightness and gamma within the game itself.
These games are meant to be dark. The inability to see the images clearly,
and how cartoonish they are no matter what your video card, is a part of the
game design.
Settings you cahnge in the game control panel will apply only to the game.
Any settings you change on the monitor or in the video driver are global and
will apply to any program.
You can create different monitor profiles with a calibration device and with
the Nvida control panel although I would not recommend it.

Ed Light

Did you adjust the contrast? On some monitors, you set the dark tones
where they should be with the brightness, then adjust the light tones
with the contrast.
---
Ed Light

Bring the Troops Home: