Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > How to start compiling a big package directory tree ?

How to start compiling a big package directory tree ?

Tom Parson

I downloaded a java source of a tool which is spread over multiple (40-50) *.java files
which are located in different sub directories according to their package name.

Unfortunately no further instructions (e.g. Ant script) are available.
However the source should be compileable without errors.

How do I start ?

Which class should I compile first ?

For example I found a "main()" method in java file SomeGUI.java

When I switch now to the base directory of package:

D:\java\base\

and type at the command prompt:

javac org\somepack1\subpack2\SomeGUI.java

then the compiler tell me that he cannot find a file/package "org.somepack.addclass"
But the java file org\soempack\addclass.java EXISTS !

Why does the compiler not find this class/source ?

Can I somehow tell the compiler (from the command line !):

"here is the source directory tree. Search for all you need and compile all
necessary classes in the sequence you need".

Tom