Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Why do they always leave out one feature?!

Why do they always leave out one feature?!

RPS

I look at Panasonic LX2 (= Leica D-LUX 3). It is perfect in every way
except one: the zoom range is too small.

Then there is TZ3. Perfect in zoom range and most every way except
one: lack of aperture/shutter priority.

It is so frustrating that camera companies always leave out one feature
I would really want!

irwell

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 08:21:28 GMT, RPS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I look at Panasonic LX2 (= Leica D-LUX 3). It is perfect in every way
>except one: the zoom range is too small.
>
>Then there is TZ3. Perfect in zoom range and most every way except
>one: lack of aperture/shutter priority.
>
>It is so frustrating that camera companies always leave out one feature
>I would really want!

How true? I have just got a Nikon P5000, lots of good features, but
I wish they had one feature that my old Sony W100 had, and that is
the capability to look at the LCD screen in the playback mode without
the lens extending.

David J Taylor

irwell wrote:
[]
> How true? I have just got a Nikon P5000, lots of good features, but
> I wish they had one feature that my old Sony W100 had, and that is
> the capability to look at the LCD screen in the playback mode without
> the lens extending.

My Ricoh seems to have this feature, but without it being obvious. From
power-down, press the Play button for several seconds. May work on the
Nikon, it may not.

David

Daniel Silevitch

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 07:48:09 -0700, irwell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 08:21:28 GMT, RPS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I look at Panasonic LX2 (= Leica D-LUX 3). It is perfect in every way
>>except one: the zoom range is too small.
>>
>>Then there is TZ3. Perfect in zoom range and most every way except
>>one: lack of aperture/shutter priority.
>>
>>It is so frustrating that camera companies always leave out one feature
>>I would really want!

> How true? I have just got a Nikon P5000, lots of good features, but
> I wish they had one feature that my old Sony W100 had, and that is
> the capability to look at the LCD screen in the playback mode without
> the lens extending.

Yeah, that's a nice feature. My current camera (Panny FZ5) has that, and
I do use it every now and then, to review a bunch of shots without going
to the (very minor) hassle of taking off the lens cover and letting the
lens extend.

I wouldn't choose a new camera solely on the presence or absence of that
feature, but I certainly don't mind having it.

-dms

irwell

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 14:52:23 GMT, "David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

>irwell wrote:
>[]
>> How true? I have just got a Nikon P5000, lots of good features, but
>> I wish they had one feature that my old Sony W100 had, and that is
>> the capability to look at the LCD screen in the playback mode without
>> the lens extending.

>My Ricoh seems to have this feature, but without it being obvious. From
>power-down, press the Play button for several seconds. May work on the
>Nikon, it may not.
>
>David

What a wonderful suggestion, thanks a million, it works!
On the Sony it was instantaneous, on the Nikon you have to do
as David suggested, hold it down for a few seconds.

Jürgen Exner

irwell wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 14:52:23 GMT, "David J Taylor"
>> irwell wrote:
>>> How true? I have just got a Nikon P5000, lots of good features, but
>>> I wish they had one feature that my old Sony W100 had, and that is
>>> the capability to look at the LCD screen in the playback mode
>>> without the lens extending.

> What a wonderful suggestion, thanks a million, it works!
> On the Sony it was instantaneous, on the Nikon you have to do
> as David suggested, hold it down for a few seconds.

Don't know about your Nikon. On my Coolpix 880 just turn the mode dial to
View Pictures and it will not extend the lens.

jue

Doug McDonald

>>> It is so frustrating that camera companies always leave out one feature
>>> I would really want!

I have the Canon 30D and it lacks two:

A microphone for comments, which the 1D has.

Multiexposure burst with focus bracket, which
apparently is exceedingly rare or nonexistant. This is
the biggie.

Doug McDonald

RonTheGuy

RPS wrote:
> I look at Panasonic LX2 (= Leica D-LUX 3). It is perfect in every way
> except one: the zoom range is too small.
>
> Then there is TZ3. Perfect in zoom range and most every way except
> one: lack of aperture/shutter priority.
>
> It is so frustrating that camera companies always leave out one feature
> I would really want!

I ended up with a camera that has almost every conceivable feature but
the camera itself gets less than a top grade and some of the features
don't work all that well. It's the Olympus SP-510UZ.
10x zoom range
Auto/program/shutter priority/aperture priority/manual exposure
Manual focus
RAW support
Time lapse
Movie mode
Panorama mode
etc.

I like it but...
Menu structure is a little difficult and some functions are hard to get
or change.
I've had to reset the camera at least once in the field when it lost
the ability to zoom.
Manual focus is not implemented well.

You get the idea. You might do well to give up on a feature or 2 to get
a camera that has a good interface and gets good images.

Ron

ray

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 08:21:28 +0000, RPS wrote:

> I look at Panasonic LX2 (= Leica D-LUX 3). It is perfect in every way
> except one: the zoom range is too small.
>
> Then there is TZ3. Perfect in zoom range and most every way except
> one: lack of aperture/shutter priority.
>
> It is so frustrating that camera companies always leave out one feature
> I would really want!

FWIW - my feature list is probably rather brief, but I've found nothing
wanting on the Kodak P series.

irwell

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:39:33 GMT, "Jürgen Exner"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>irwell wrote:
>>>

>> What a wonderful suggestion, thanks a million, it works!
>> On the Sony it was instantaneous, on the Nikon you have to do
>> as David suggested, hold it down for a few seconds.

>Don't know about your Nikon. On my Coolpix 880 just turn the mode dial to
>View Pictures and it will not extend the lens.
>
>jue

Further tinkering with the P5000, pressing and holding the
view(Playback) button powers up the camera in the Playback mode,
(without any lens extension),
pressing the shutter puts the camera into shooting mode.

What it doesn't do, that the Sony did, is go into lens
retraction mode after viewing in playback for a minute, or so.