Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Why do they always leave out one feature?!

Reply
Thread Tools

Why do they always leave out one feature?!

 
 
RPS
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2007
RPS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

: I look at Panasonic LX2 (= Leica D-LUX 3). It is perfect in every way
: except one: the zoom range is too small.
:
: Then there is TZ3. Perfect in zoom range and most every way except
: one: lack of aperture/shutter priority.
:
: It is so frustrating that camera companies always leave out one feature
: I would really want!

I forgot to include my last, cynical punch line. It occurred to me,
and that's why I made the post, that maybe it is not coincidence.
In these days of super-planned marketing schemes, this could be
deliberate to always want us to upgrade or buy something else.
After all, if you found just the right camera for you, why would you
buy more?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David J Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2007
irwell wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 14:52:23 GMT, "David J Taylor"
> <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> irwell wrote:
>> []
>>> How true? I have just got a Nikon P5000, lots of good features, but
>>> I wish they had one feature that my old Sony W100 had, and that is
>>> the capability to look at the LCD screen in the playback mode
>>> without the lens extending.

>>
>> My Ricoh seems to have this feature, but without it being obvious.
>> From power-down, press the Play button for several seconds. May
>> work on the Nikon, it may not.
>>
>> David
>>

> What a wonderful suggestion, thanks a million, it works!
> On the Sony it was instantaneous, on the Nikon you have to do
> as David suggested, hold it down for a few seconds.


Amazing! What a chance guess....

Cheers,
David


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John Turco
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-18-2007
David J Taylor wrote:
>
> irwell wrote:
> []
> > How true? I have just got a Nikon P5000, lots of good features, but
> > I wish they had one feature that my old Sony W100 had, and that is
> > the capability to look at the LCD screen in the playback mode without
> > the lens extending.

>
> My Ricoh seems to have this feature, but without it being obvious. From
> power-down, press the Play button for several seconds. May work on the
> Nikon, it may not.
>
> David



Hello, David:

On my Kodak V603, it's the "Favorites" button; it only needs to be
pushed, momentarily, instead of being held down, as with your Ricoh.


Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>
 
Reply With Quote
 
John Turco
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-20-2007
RPS wrote:
>
> RPS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> : I look at Panasonic LX2 (= Leica D-LUX 3). It is perfect in every way
> : except one: the zoom range is too small.
> :
> : Then there is TZ3. Perfect in zoom range and most every way except
> : one: lack of aperture/shutter priority.
> :
> : It is so frustrating that camera companies always leave out one feature
> : I would really want!
>
> I forgot to include my last, cynical punch line. It occurred to me,
> and that's why I made the post, that maybe it is not coincidence.
> In these days of super-planned marketing schemes, this could be
> deliberate to always want us to upgrade or buy something else.
> After all, if you found just the right camera for you, why would you
> buy more?



Hello, RPS:

Nothing "cynical," about it...that's the manufacturers' strategy,
precisely. It seems obvious and logical (from a marketing standpoint,
at least) to me, as well.


Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>
 
Reply With Quote
 
sw2U
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-20-2007
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 08:21:28 +0000, RPS wrote:
>
> > I look at Panasonic LX2 (= Leica D-LUX 3). It is perfect in every way
> > except one: the zoom range is too small.
> >
> > Then there is TZ3. Perfect in zoom range and most every way except
> > one: lack of aperture/shutter priority.
> >
> > It is so frustrating that camera companies always leave out one feature
> > I would really want!

>
> FWIW - my feature list is probably rather brief, but I've found nothing
> wanting on the Kodak P series.
>
>


I'll second that regarding my P880. The first time I used it, I was
impressed by how everything about it seemed just right.

--
sw2U
 
Reply With Quote
 
sw2U
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-20-2007
In article <160820071620054129%(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> RPS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> : I look at Panasonic LX2 (= Leica D-LUX 3). It is perfect in every way
> : except one: the zoom range is too small.
> :
> : Then there is TZ3. Perfect in zoom range and most every way except
> : one: lack of aperture/shutter priority.
> :
> : It is so frustrating that camera companies always leave out one feature
> : I would really want!
>
> I forgot to include my last, cynical punch line. It occurred to me,
> and that's why I made the post, that maybe it is not coincidence.
> In these days of super-planned marketing schemes, this could be
> deliberate to always want us to upgrade or buy something else.
> After all, if you found just the right camera for you, why would you
> buy more?
>


Because for some of us it's an addiction. (Grin)

--
sw2U
 
Reply With Quote
 
Chuck Olson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-20-2007

"John Turco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> RPS wrote:
> >
> > RPS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > : I look at Panasonic LX2 (= Leica D-LUX 3). It is perfect in every way
> > : except one: the zoom range is too small.
> > :
> > : Then there is TZ3. Perfect in zoom range and most every way except
> > : one: lack of aperture/shutter priority.
> > :
> > : It is so frustrating that camera companies always leave out one

feature
> > : I would really want!
> >
> > I forgot to include my last, cynical punch line. It occurred to me,
> > and that's why I made the post, that maybe it is not coincidence.
> > In these days of super-planned marketing schemes, this could be
> > deliberate to always want us to upgrade or buy something else.
> > After all, if you found just the right camera for you, why would you
> > buy more?

>
>
> Hello, RPS:
>
> Nothing "cynical," about it...that's the manufacturers' strategy,
> precisely. It seems obvious and logical (from a marketing standpoint,
> at least) to me, as well.
>
>
> Cordially,
> John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>


Take the new Canon 40D DSLR - - they put in 30 or so improvements, including
what they call a "live view" feature in which eye-level viewfinding is
switchable to the 3" TFT color screen, but does it pivot for overhead or
waist-level or bug-level viewing? Nope! How can they forget things they
learned in 1999? I guess we should all wait for the 50D.


 
Reply With Quote
 
aniramca@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-21-2007
On Aug 20, 6:56 pm, "Chuck Olson" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> "John Turco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>
>
> > RPS wrote:

>
> > > RPS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
> > > : I look at Panasonic LX2 (= Leica D-LUX 3). It is perfect in every way
> > > : except one: the zoom range is too small.
> > > :
> > > : Then there is TZ3. Perfect in zoom range and most every way except
> > > : one: lack of aperture/shutter priority.
> > > :
> > > : It is so frustrating that camera companies always leave out one

> feature
> > > : I would really want!

>
> > > I forgot to include my last, cynical punch line. It occurred to me,
> > > and that's why I made the post, that maybe it is not coincidence.
> > > In these days of super-planned marketing schemes, this could be
> > > deliberate to always want us to upgrade or buy something else.
> > > After all, if you found just the right camera for you, why would you
> > > buy more?

>
> > Hello, RPS:

>
> > Nothing "cynical," about it...that's the manufacturers' strategy,
> > precisely. It seems obvious and logical (from a marketing standpoint,
> > at least) to me, as well.

>
> > Cordially,
> > John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

>
> Take the new Canon 40D DSLR - - they put in 30 or so improvements, including
> what they call a "live view" feature in which eye-level viewfinding is
> switchable to the 3" TFT color screen, but does it pivot for overhead or
> waist-level or bug-level viewing? Nope! How can they forget things they
> learned in 1999? I guess we should all wait for the 50D.


I can't help to response on this subject!
This is just like the way the lawmakers made regulations. There is
always a hole somewhere, so that other laywers can exploit it and make
money from it

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ron Hunter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-21-2007
Chuck Olson wrote:
> "John Turco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> RPS wrote:
>>> RPS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> : I look at Panasonic LX2 (= Leica D-LUX 3). It is perfect in every way
>>> : except one: the zoom range is too small.
>>> :
>>> : Then there is TZ3. Perfect in zoom range and most every way except
>>> : one: lack of aperture/shutter priority.
>>> :
>>> : It is so frustrating that camera companies always leave out one

> feature
>>> : I would really want!
>>>
>>> I forgot to include my last, cynical punch line. It occurred to me,
>>> and that's why I made the post, that maybe it is not coincidence.
>>> In these days of super-planned marketing schemes, this could be
>>> deliberate to always want us to upgrade or buy something else.
>>> After all, if you found just the right camera for you, why would you
>>> buy more?

>>
>> Hello, RPS:
>>
>> Nothing "cynical," about it...that's the manufacturers' strategy,
>> precisely. It seems obvious and logical (from a marketing standpoint,
>> at least) to me, as well.
>>
>>
>> Cordially,
>> John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

>
> Take the new Canon 40D DSLR - - they put in 30 or so improvements, including
> what they call a "live view" feature in which eye-level viewfinding is
> switchable to the 3" TFT color screen, but does it pivot for overhead or
> waist-level or bug-level viewing? Nope! How can they forget things they
> learned in 1999? I guess we should all wait for the 50D.
>
>

A tilt, and rotate type of LCD can be VERY useful for those who do a lot
of Macro work, and I am surprised DSLR cameras don't seem to offer this
feature. Not that it is common on P&S cameras, or 'super zoom' ones either.
 
Reply With Quote
 
AAvK
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-22-2007

"RPS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:160820070321321524%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I look at Panasonic LX2 (= Leica D-LUX 3). It is perfect in every way
> except one: the zoom range is too small.
>
> Then there is TZ3. Perfect in zoom range and most every way except
> one: lack of aperture/shutter priority.
>
> It is so frustrating that camera companies always leave out one feature
> I would really want!



Study the Fujifilm s9100.
AAvK
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
64 bit FTP software and why did Microsoft leave out a FTP softwareout of all versions of win 7? inventor1984 Windows 64bit 4 12-21-2009 04:21 PM
Why when I go to photograph someone they always feel they need to look right at the camera and smile. Scott W Digital Photography 6 04-10-2007 12:30 AM
FAQ Topic - How do I log-out a user when they leave my site? FAQ server Javascript 2 03-08-2007 11:13 PM
findcontrol("PlaceHolderPrice") why why why why why why why why why why why Mr. SweatyFinger ASP .Net 2 12-02-2006 03:46 PM
they turn, they power, they make nice pics Keith and Jenn Z. Digital Photography 0 09-21-2003 04:16 AM



Advertisments