Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Seeking code to parse header files

Seeking code to parse header files

Baron Samedi

I have been searching, unsuccessfully, for a program which will parse
header files and generate stubs for all external declarations
(classes, functions, <shudder> global variables).

I want this so that I can generate dummies for interfacing software,
for unit testing. As I say, I haven't found it, so it looks like I
will have to code my own.

Before I reinvent the wheel, does anyone know of any freely available
software to parse header files?

Thanks in advance.

Alan Woodland

Baron Samedi wrote:
> I have been searching, unsuccessfully, for a program which will parse
> header files and generate stubs for all external declarations
> (classes, functions, <shudder> global variables).
>
> I want this so that I can generate dummies for interfacing software,
> for unit testing. As I say, I haven't found it, so it looks like I
> will have to code my own.
>
> Before I reinvent the wheel, does anyone know of any freely available
> software to parse header files?

There are two freely available projects that I'm aware of which can do
this. Firstly SWIG (http://www.swig.org), and secondly the gcc-xml
project (http://www.gccxml.org). Swig has an XML output target, which is
what I used a while ago in a project to parse some C++, although the
swig parser isn't really a full C++ parser (it only parses a commonly
used subset)

Alan