Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Question: HTML URL Rules

Question: HTML URL Rules

mailtoedmond@gmail.com

Hi all,
Do you know what is the parameter to represent the profile name in
HTML.
For example: File://c:\Documents and settings\$username$\desktop

Edmond

John Hosking

> Hi all,
> Do you know what is the parameter to represent the profile name in
> HTML.
> For example: File://c:\Documents and settings\$username$\desktop

There isn't one. (HTML isn't about Windows.)

--
John
Pondering the value of the UIP: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit (E-Mail Removed):

> Do you know what is the parameter to represent the profile name in
> HTML.
> For example: File://c:\Documents and settings\$username$\desktop

The file: URL scheme is by definition machine-dependent: it refers to a
resource in a particular computer by its file system and notation
conventions. It is thus unusable or unnecessary (as opposite to relative
URLs) in most contexts.

More info: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/fileurl.html

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Ed Mullen

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi all,
> Do you know what is the parameter to represent the profile name in
> HTML.
> For example: File://c:\Documents and settings\$username$\desktop
>

> Edmond

As Jukka said, it's machine dependent. The easiest way to see what your
local situation is, is to use your browser to open a local file then
look at the location bar in the browser.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

mailtoedmond@gmail.com

On 8 17 , 3 40 , Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > Do you know what is the parameter to represent the profile name in
> > HTML.
> > For example: File://c:\Documents and settings\$username$\desktop

> > Edmond

> As Jukka said, it's machine dependent. The easiest way to see what your
> local situation is, is to use your browser to open a local file then
> look at the location bar in the browser.
>
> --
> Ed Mullenhttp://edmullen.nethttp://mozilla.edmullen.nethttp://abington.edmullen.net
> What is the speed of dark?

My Main purpose:
I am writing a batch program to save some files from server to user
desktop directly. I shall send a email to user and they just click on
the URL link, the batch will run and save the files on user's desktop.

Ed Mullen

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On 8 17 , 3 40 , Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> Do you know what is the parameter to represent the profile name in
>>> HTML.
>>> For example: File://c:\Documents and settings\$username$\desktop
>>> Edmond

>> As Jukka said, it's machine dependent. The easiest way to see what your
>> local situation is, is to use your browser to open a local file then
>> look at the location bar in the browser.
>>
>> --
>> Ed Mullenhttp://edmullen.nethttp://mozilla.edmullen.nethttp://abington.edmullen.net
>> What is the speed of dark?

> My Main purpose:
> I am writing a batch program to save some files from server to user
> desktop directly. I shall send a email to user and they just click on
> the URL link, the batch will run and save the files on user's desktop.

Won't work on so many levels that it's frightening to contemplate. It
certainly wouldn't work on my system.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Dan

On Aug 16, 3:14 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Do you know what is the parameter to represent the profile name in
> HTML.
> For example: File://c:\Documents and settings\$username$\desktop

That's not HTML, it's a URI. And it's not the correct syntax for a
file URI; you're always supposed to use forward slashes regardless of
the local operating system. And I don't think any browsers have
access to system stuff like the logged in username for the purpose of
plugging it into URLs; you'd need some sort of scripting language, I
guess.

--
Dan

John Hosking

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On 8 17 , 3 40 , Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

[What great attribution lines]

>>> Hi all,
>>> Do you know what is the parameter to represent the profile name in
>>> HTML.
>>> For example: File://c:\Documents and settings\$username$\desktop

>> As Jukka said, it's machine dependent. The easiest way to see what your
>> local situation is, is to use your browser to open a local file then
>> look at the location bar in the browser.

[Ed's signature snipped, because that's how we do it on Usenet, GG
notwithstanding]

> My Main purpose:
> I am writing a batch program to save some files from server to user
> desktop directly. I shall send a email to user and they just click on
> the URL link, the batch will run and save the files on user's desktop.

Ah, information!

You might try zipping the files and storing them on your Web server,
then include the URL to the file(s) in the e-mail. When (and if) your
recipient clicks on the (presumably clickable, linked) URL, their e-mail
client might ask them what to do with the file (save or open). You can
tell them in the e-mail to save it (on their desktop, you say), and
maybe they will, and maybe it'll work when they try it.

GL