Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > There any serious statistics showing Flash popularity?

There any serious statistics showing Flash popularity?

-

I wondering if there are any serious data showing compatibilty in % of
flash web sites.

Help!

TIA

dorayme

In article
<46c3bdb7$0$22583$(E-Mail Removed)>,
- <"bgyuobhjo[i"@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I wondering if there are any serious data showing compatibilty in % of
> flash web sites.
>
> Help!

Yes there are some extremely serious, nay, _grave_ stats. 99.999%
of the members of alt.html have bad things to say about 100% of
flash sites. 0.001% have good things to say in vague terms and
then only on condition that all the others are stridently
critical. The mirror is true of this last: 0.001% have bad things
to say in vague terms and then only on condition that all the
others are stridently effusive. If you need more detailed stats,
don't hesitate to ask.

--
dorayme

cwdjrxyz

On Aug 15, 10:01 pm, - <"bgyuobhjo[i"@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I wondering if there are any serious data showing compatibilty in % of
> flash web sites.

I looked at http://www.w3schools.com and found the below statement in
their section on flash.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Who can View Flash?

In September 2000, NPD Research, the parent company of MediaMetrix,
conducted a study to determine what percentage of Web browsers have
Flash preinstalled. The results show that 96.4% of Web users can
experience Macromedia Flash content without having to download and
install a player.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

A very high percentage of computer users have used computers with
flash installed for a long time. Some of the lesser used OSs will
allow installing of special programs to view flash when an official
version is not made for their OS. However these versions are often one
or two upgrades behind the most recent official flash versions for the
more popular browsers. If you are interested in the small number of
little used OSs, it pays to write your flash in perhaps versions 7 or
8 rather than the current 9 version. I often write in 7 or 8, but the
flash player I have installed is a 9. So far as I have seen, the
latest player usually plays flash movies written in an earlier
version, but the reverse sometimes is not the case if you used
something that is new in the latest version. If you do not use flash
much, there are programs more limited that the official ones that cost
much less and meet the needs of many.

Like all compressed media formats, flash has advantages and
disadvantages depending on what you want to do. It can make videos of
fair quality for slow connections unlike some of the other video file
types. But using the newer FLV/SWF format and high bit rates, it also
can make very high quality videos suitable only for broadband viewing.
There is no video format best for everything, especially if it needs
great compression - different video formats respond to great
compression in different ways. There is now a great glut of video
formats and many are used for special purposes such as for viewing on
various mobile devices etc. There always will be a few to many users
who can not view any video format. Thus, if you are selling things,
you need to provide something else other than just video to not lose
potential customers. Many things have been used such as a link to a
still picture, a text description, etc. Although I have no statistics
to quote, I doubt if many people will bother to download a player for
any video format even if your page tries to direct them to a download
site, if the video format you use is not supported on the computer.

The reasons for the bad reputation of flash in many quarters are the
excesses often used by high pressure ad execs. Many are annoyed by
flash displays that auto start, especially if they can not be turned
off. I am most annoyed by flash displays that rapidly flash images or
text at you at a rapid rate and displays that expand greatly and
obscure text when you just pass the cursor over them, perhaps on your
way to click some link not related to the flash.

Travis Newbury

On Aug 15, 11:01 pm, - <"bgyuobhjo[i"@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I wondering if there are any serious data showing compatibilty in % of
> flash web sites.

What do you mean "compatibility"? Do you mean how many people have
the potential of seeing Flash? Well that number is in the 90% range.

But why does it matter? If using a blue background brings you more
business than using a red background, then you would be dumb to not
use the Blue background. If using Flash brings you more business than
not using flash, then you would be dumb to not use Flash.

Use the technology(s) that brings you the most business. It is a
simple concept that seems to elude many people here.

asdf

"Travis Newbury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> On Aug 15, 11:01 pm, - <"bgyuobhjo[i"@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I wondering if there are any serious data showing compatibilty in % of
>> flash web sites.

> What do you mean "compatibility"? Do you mean how many people have
> the potential of seeing Flash? Well that number is in the 90% range.
>
> But why does it matter? If using a blue background brings you more
> business than using a red background, then you would be dumb to not
> use the Blue background. If using Flash brings you more business than
> not using flash, then you would be dumb to not use Flash.
>
> Use the technology(s) that brings you the most business. It is a
> simple concept that seems to elude many people here.

Hurrah, at last. Well said.

El Kabong

"asdf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46c4f7de$0$22581$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Use the technology(s) that brings you the most business. It is a
>> simple concept that seems to elude many people here.
>>

> Hurrah, at last. Well said.

I agree wholeheartedly, even if the site is not about commerce. The
designer's client is the Web site owner, which may very well be himself.
Regardless, the site should please the owner. This is not to say that the
designer doesn't have an obligation to offer solid, practical advice
regarding design but, in the end, it's the owner who has to be happy.

Could he be wrong and his decisions cause him to actually lose sales, (or
visitors if the site is not about commerce?) Of course. The wonderful thing
about free market democracy is we all have the right to fail miserably,
utterly and totally... then get up and try again.

So if Flash trips the owner's trigger, he should have it, and who knows,
maybe he knows *his* clientele better than the designer knows them. It's
win-win for the designer because, he might get more work getting rid of the
Flash later on.

El

dorayme

In article <kz8xi.8718$%t4.3514@trnddc03>,
"El Kabong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It's
> win-win for the designer because, he might get more work getting rid of the
> Flash later on.

Now you have your thinking cap on...

--
dorayme

Harlan Messinger

El Kabong wrote:

> So if Flash trips the owner's trigger, he should have it, and who knows,
> maybe he knows *his* clientele better than the designer knows them.

Or maybe he doesn't. Business people think *lots* of things about
customers that aren't true. The weird thing is that business execs who
wouldn't imagine they have the skills to design their own logos instead
of getting a graphic designer's advice or to write their own advertising
copy instead of getting an advertising firm to create their campaigns or
to decorate their own office buildings instead of hiring an interior
design consultant, will see things like Flash and go "ooh, pretty" and
assume that they know better than their web consultant about how the
advantages will trade off against the disadvantages.

Travis Newbury

On Aug 17, 7:06 am, Harlan Messinger
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > So if Flash trips the owner's trigger, he should have it, and who knows,
> > maybe he knows *his* clientele better than the designer knows them.

> Or maybe he doesn't. Business people think *lots* of things about
> customers that aren't true....

Lets use MTV.com as an example. MTV.com went from an HTML site to an
all flash site because they knew their visitors liked the way MTV was
presenting itself with Flash. Well the Business side said "Hey lets
make the entire site Flash based because they like Flash so much!"

And they did. But after watching the site for a while, they notices a
decrease in visitors and revenue from the site. So they went back to
a HTML site with some heavy usage of Flash where it was most
appropriate.

The moral is, keep an eye on your site. Tweak, change, try new
things, and monitor the results. Even after you find the right
combination that works for your site, you still have to continually
monitor and maintain the site. A website should be fluid in the sense
that you are continually tweaking to get the most out of it that you
can. As your audience, product, service, technology, and a million
other factors change, so should your site.

Bernhard Sturm

Harlan Messinger wrote:
> El Kabong wrote:
>>
>> So if Flash trips the owner's trigger, he should have it, and who
>> knows, maybe he knows *his* clientele better than the designer knows
>> them.

> Or maybe he doesn't. Business people think *lots* of things about
> customers that aren't true.

which is very much true. It's all about out of the box thinking, and
business people need an outsider to tell them how they are being
perceived by their customers, they can't know it from themselves. If you
just fulfill the wishes of your client, then you are not doing him a
favour. If he wishes to see 'Flash' on his new website, then you have to
step back, and argue about the pros and cons of such a technology.
That's why he has hired a designer to do the job for him, so you as a
designer knows it better...

just my two cents
bernhard

--