Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Zone Alarm and ADSL

Zone Alarm and ADSL

ClueLess

Hi everybody

I just got an ADSL connection and I have been trying Zone Alarm. If
the ADSL router is switched on after ZA is loaded, ZA does not find it
and I cannot access the Internet.

It detects the connection only if it is started after I switch on the
router and then everything is ok.

Is this the normal way?

ZA loads on startup and so should I switch on the router before I
start the computer?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

ClueLess

WhzzKdd

"ClueLess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everybody
>
> I just got an ADSL connection and I have been trying Zone Alarm. If
> the ADSL router is switched on after ZA is loaded, ZA does not find it
> and I cannot access the Internet.
>
> It detects the connection only if it is started after I switch on the
> router and then everything is ok.
>
> Is this the normal way?
>
> ZA loads on startup and so should I switch on the router before I
> start the computer?

Yes. In fact, I never bother turning my modem off.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

WhzzKdd wrote:
> "ClueLess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi everybody
>>
>> I just got an ADSL connection and I have been trying Zone Alarm. If
>> the ADSL router is switched on after ZA is loaded, ZA does not find it
>> and I cannot access the Internet.
>>
>> It detects the connection only if it is started after I switch on the
>> router and then everything is ok.
>>
>> Is this the normal way?
>>
>> ZA loads on startup and so should I switch on the router before I
>> start the computer?
>>

> Yes. In fact, I never bother turning my modem off.

I seldom restart my computer, much less often will I restart my
router/modem. But I still use ZA and I've never had a problem with them
working together.

PeeCee

"ClueLess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everybody
>
> I just got an ADSL connection and I have been trying Zone Alarm. If
> the ADSL router is switched on after ZA is loaded, ZA does not find it
> and I cannot access the Internet.
>
> It detects the connection only if it is started after I switch on the
> router and then everything is ok.
>
> Is this the normal way?
>
> ZA loads on startup and so should I switch on the router before I
> start the computer?
>
> Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance.
>

> ClueLess

Clueless

1 Starting peripherals before the main PC is the norm for all PC's.
(Printers, Scanners, ....)

2 Note the IP address that your Router gives your PC (Control Panel, Network
Connections, right click your LAN connection and right click 'Status', click
Support tab), then go to ZA and allow the whole range in that IP space.
eg if your IP is 192.168.1.2 and the gateway is 192.168.1.1 then tell ZA to
allow the range 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255. That way even if your Router
is started after ZA, ZA will allow it through.

Best
Paul.

ClueLess

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 00:18:56 +1200, "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>1 Starting peripherals before the main PC is the norm for all PC's.
>(Printers, Scanners, ....)
>
>2 Note the IP address that your Router gives your PC (Control Panel, Network
>Connections, right click your LAN connection and right click 'Status', click
>Support tab), then go to ZA and allow the whole range in that IP space.
>eg if your IP is 192.168.1.2 and the gateway is 192.168.1.1 then tell ZA to
>allow the range 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255. That way even if your Router
>is started after ZA, ZA will allow it through.

Hi PC

Many thanks for your very useful direction. I think the instructions
pertain to an XP installation, XP was too daunting for me so I remain
with ME. Still your response induced me to set up an IP range in Zone
alarm itself and it works great. ZA now detects automatically and
permits net access even if the router is switched on after starting
the computer with ZA loading on start up.

Thanks again PC

ClueLess