Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > interview question

interview question

Very.Little.Gravitas.Indeed

The two answers to this question are.

A manhole cover is round because a circle has the greatest length
between its corners compared to other shapes, this means there is more
space you can utilise because tehre is more space between the corners.

A manhole cover is round because a man hole is round.

Shadowman

Richard Heathfield wrote:
> Heinrich Pumpernickel said:
>
>> i got this question in a c/c++ job interview............
>>
>> "why are manhole covers round? give at least 10 reasons"

> To find out whether you're capable of answering an easy question without
> going crawling to Usenet for help,

Or maybe he was applying for a job with the water & sewer department?

> and to determine whether you
> understand the concept of binary representation.

That's kind of a dirty trick, don't you think? One could have a pretty
clear understanding of binary representation yet still not interpret 10
as binary when completely out of context, right? In most cases, written
numbers are understood to have a "default" base.

Or maybe it's just that I didn't get it at first

--
SM
rot13 for email

Christopher Benson-Manica

[comp.lang.c] Shadowman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Heinrich Pumpernickel said:

>>> "why are manhole covers round? give at least 10 reasons"

> That's kind of a dirty trick, don't you think? One could have a pretty
> clear understanding of binary representation yet still not interpret 10
> as binary when completely out of context, right? In most cases, written
> numbers are understood to have a "default" base.

If the base of the number is something other than the obvious, what's
to suggest that the interviewer was not looking for 0x10 reasons
manhole covers are round?

(I think it's a lousy interview question unless it's asked in a
face-to-face, and even then it's not so great.)

--
C. Benson Manica | I appreciate all corrections, polite or otherwise.
cbmanica(at)gmail.com |

CBFalconer

"Very.Little.Gravitas.Indeed" wrote:

> A manhole cover is round because a circle has the greatest length
> between its corners compared to other shapes, this means there is
> more space you can utilise because tehre is more space between the
> corners.

This is only half right. The roundness prevents dropping it
through the manhole, and thus reduces the replacement costs.

<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

Al Balmer

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 00:38:12 +0000, Richard Heathfield
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Heinrich Pumpernickel said:
>
>> i got this question in a c/c++ job interview............
>>
>> "why are manhole covers round? give at least 10 reasons"

>To find out whether you're capable of answering an easy question without
>going crawling to Usenet for help, and to determine whether you
>understand the concept of binary representation.

<G> I missed that. It does make the question easier.

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ

Al Balmer

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 12:01:01 -0000, "Very.Little.Gravitas.Indeed"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The two answers to this question are.
>
>A manhole cover is round because a circle has the greatest length
>between its corners compared to other shapes, this means there is more
>space you can utilise because tehre is more space between the corners.

You may be trying to say that it requires the least material for a
given minimum dimension.

>A manhole cover is round because a man hole is round.

Also, it can't fall through the hole (also true for the equilateral
triangle someone suggested.)

It's easy to roll.

Men are (more or less) round in cross-section.

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ

Keith Thompson

Al Balmer <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
[...]
> Also, it can't fall through the hole (also true for the equilateral
> triangle someone suggested.)

If the rim is sufficiently narrow and the cover sufficiently thin, you
can drop a triangular manhole cover into a triangular manhole. Set
the cover on edge, then lift it so that one edge is vertical. The
width of the cover is the distance from a vertex to the center of the
opposite side; this can fit through the hold along one edge.

This is easily avoided, though, by making the rim wide enough.

Richard Tobin

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
CBFalconer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> A manhole cover is round because a circle has the greatest length
>> between its corners compared to other shapes, this means there is
>> more space you can utilise because tehre is more space between the
>> corners.

>This is only half right. The roundness prevents dropping it
>through the manhole, and thus reduces the replacement costs.

However, many manhole covers *aren't* round. All the ones near here
seem to be rectangular.

-- Richard
in some alphabets" - X3.4, 1963.

Kenneth Brody

Heinrich Pumpernickel wrote:

> i got this question in a c/c++ job interview............
>
> "why are manhole covers round?

01) Because manhole holes are round!
10) It's the most efficient shape to let large-bellied workers
through.

> give at least 10 reasons"

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand
binary, and those who don't.

> do u no the a to this q???

Can you translate that into English, please?

Don't e-mail me at: <(E-Mail Removed)>

Heinrich Pumpernickel

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 16:48:45 GMT, Al Balmer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 12:01:01 -0000, "Very.Little.Gravitas.Indeed"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>The two answers to this question are.
>>
>>A manhole cover is round because a circle has the greatest length
>>between its corners compared to other shapes, this means there is more
>>space you can utilise because tehre is more space between the corners.
>>

>You may be trying to say that it requires the least material for a
>given minimum dimension.
>
>>A manhole cover is round because a man hole is round.

>Also, it can't fall through the hole (also true for the equilateral
>triangle someone suggested.)

my boss sez thats !true b/c according to a^2 + b^2 = c^2 , in his
words ,

"the height of a equilateral triangle is 0.8660254 times its edge
length, so there's plenty of space left to accomodate for the
supporting rim and the cover's thickness, and still some space
left to allow it drop down.

what people really mean in this context is *reuleaux triangles*,
or really any reuleaux polygons with an uneven number of corners..."

>It's easy to roll.
>
>Men are (more or less) round in cross-section.

but !if they carry their equpment on their backs

--
mfg, heinrich

ASP Interview Questions ASP Interview Questions reema ASP General 0 08-26-2008 11:57 AM
.NET Interview Question, C#, ASP.NET Interview Questions dotnetuncle Javascript 0 10-30-2007 03:08 PM
An interview question Jerry Java 22 06-12-2005 03:55 PM
Interview question Gopal Krish ASP .Net 10 10-23-2004 10:18 AM
interview question (toughest bug you've fixed)? Digital Puer Java 17 12-27-2003 09:35 AM

Advertisments