Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Win XP Home - Hiding program in Add/Remove Programs menu

Win XP Home - Hiding program in Add/Remove Programs menu

MysticHLE

This is for Windows XP Home Edition.

Is there a way to properly remove a program from the Add/Remove
Programs menu without actually uninstalling it?

I have already deleted the program subkey in registry in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall

However, the odd thing is, that now, the program is only not
removable, but it stays on the list (there is no option to remove/
change it...the name is just there to be selected).

The latest version of TweakUI also doesn't work for this seeing as how
the feature has been removed...

Anyone know what might be wrong?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

MysticHLE wrote:
> This is for Windows XP Home Edition.
>
> Is there a way to properly remove a program from the Add/Remove
> Programs menu without actually uninstalling it?
>
> I have already deleted the program subkey in registry in:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall
>
> However, the odd thing is, that now, the program is only not
> removable, but it stays on the list (there is no option to remove/
> change it...the name is just there to be selected).
>
> The latest version of TweakUI also doesn't work for this seeing as how
> the feature has been removed...
>
> Anyone know what might be wrong?

Do you think anyone might know what program you're talking about?

olfart

"MysticHLE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> This is for Windows XP Home Edition.
>
> Is there a way to properly remove a program from the Add/Remove
> Programs menu without actually uninstalling it?
>
> I have already deleted the program subkey in registry in:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall
>
> However, the odd thing is, that now, the program is only not
> removable, but it stays on the list (there is no option to remove/
> change it...the name is just there to be selected).
>
> The latest version of TweakUI also doesn't work for this seeing as how
> the feature has been removed...
>
> Anyone know what might be wrong?

Google for ccleaner or crapcleaner.

MysticHLE

On Aug 15, 1:40 pm, Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> MysticHLE wrote:
> > This is for Windows XP Home Edition.

> > Is there a way to properly remove a program from the Add/Remove
> > Programs menu without actually uninstalling it?

> > I have already deleted the program subkey in registry in:

> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall

> > However, the odd thing is, that now, the program is only not
> > removable, but it stays on the list (there is no option to remove/
> > change it...the name is just there to be selected).

> > The latest version of TweakUI also doesn't work for this seeing as how
> > the feature has been removed...

> > Anyone know what might be wrong?

> Do you think anyone might know what program you're talking about?- Hide quoted text -

The program is MapleStory.

John Holmes

MysticHLE "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> This is for Windows XP Home Edition.
>
> Is there a way to properly remove a program from the Add/Remove
> Programs menu without actually uninstalling it?
>
> I have already deleted the program subkey in registry in:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall
>
> However, the odd thing is, that now, the program is only not
> removable, but it stays on the list (there is no option to remove/
> change it...the name is just there to be selected).
>
> The latest version of TweakUI also doesn't work for this seeing as how
> the feature has been removed...
>
> Anyone know what might be wrong?

http://windowsxpntricks.blogspot.com...nstallable-xp-
utilities.html

--
Your mother was a mud-soaked chicken farmer who burnt her bra in an
igloo.

MysticHLE

On Aug 15, 2:02 pm, John Holmes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> MysticHLE "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>

> > This is for Windows XP Home Edition.

> > Is there a way to properly remove a program from the Add/Remove
> > Programs menu without actually uninstalling it?

> > I have already deleted the program subkey in registry in:

> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall

> > However, the odd thing is, that now, the program is only not
> > removable, but it stays on the list (there is no option to remove/
> > change it...the name is just there to be selected).

> > The latest version of TweakUI also doesn't work for this seeing as how
> > the feature has been removed...

> > Anyone know what might be wrong?

> http://windowsxpntricks.blogspot.com...nstallable-xp-
> utilities.html
>
> --
> Your mother was a mud-soaked chicken farmer who burnt her bra in an
> igloo.- Hide quoted text -

This isn't about Windows Utilities though...

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Rgr wrote:

> MysticHLE wrote:
>> This is for Windows XP Home Edition.
>>
>> Is there a way to properly remove a program from the Add/Remove
>> Programs menu without actually uninstalling it? <snip>

> Do you think anyone might know what program you're talking about?

Also begs the question why s/he wants to hide it from the list. Makes me
think he is trying to conceal something from Mommy. <g>

--
-bts

MysticHLE

On Aug 15, 2:21 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Rgr wrote:
> > MysticHLE wrote:
> >> This is for Windows XP Home Edition.

> >> Is there a way to properly remove a program from the Add/Remove
> >> Programs menu without actually uninstalling it? <snip>

> > Do you think anyone might know what program you're talking about?

> Also begs the question why s/he wants to hide it from the list. Makes me
> think he is trying to conceal something from Mommy. <g>
>
> --
> -bts

This is actually for my friend. Her parents are kinda paranoid and
don't want her playing. Kinda trying to help out...but ran into this
problem.

And yes, this is to hide it.

olfart

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Rgr wrote:
> > MysticHLE wrote:
> >> This is for Windows XP Home Edition.

> >> Is there a way to properly remove a program from the Add/Remove
> >> Programs menu without actually uninstalling it? <snip>

> > Do you think anyone might know what program you're talking about?

> Also begs the question why s/he wants to hide it from the list. Makes me
> think he is trying to conceal something from Mommy. <g>
>
> --
> -bts

This is actually for my friend. Her parents are kinda paranoid and
don't want her playing. Kinda trying to help out...but ran into this
problem.

And yes, this is to hide it.

Then as I said earlier...download and install CCleaner
http://www.ccleaner.com/download/
Under Tools you can delete the program or delete just the entry in
Add/Remove.
CCleaner will also do a good cleanup on the rest of your system