Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > A + MCSA/MCSE or College?

A + MCSA/MCSE or College?

=?Utf-8?B?T2hub2Vz?=

Hey there everybody!

So, i just got out of the military as an IT guy 3 years, and just hunkered
myself into just a fine little job as an IBM deskside making JUST enough
money to put ramen noodles on the table for the family. I need to move up the
ladder just a tad bit more.
What would be the best bet - Focus on certs? (Online/classroom
setting/Bookstore?)
Or pursue an IT Degree? AS -for now-
Which would give me better return on my money career wise?
Should i get a bachelor's degree in basket weaving and do my certs?
Or go to college (i've noticed the courses provide a few certs as well)
Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks!

=?Utf-8?B?S2VpdGg=?=

Ohnoes,

I want to first thank you for your service to the our great country. Second
I would ask you this question, did you take part in the GI bill, I did while
i was in the Army and when I got out it paid for all of my AS degree in
Computer Programming. I think that either way you go it be of benifit but if
you have the GI bill money I would use it all up first.

KC

"Ohnoes" wrote:

> Hey there everybody!
>
> So, i just got out of the military as an IT guy 3 years, and just hunkered
> myself into just a fine little job as an IBM deskside making JUST enough
> money to put ramen noodles on the table for the family. I need to move up the
> ladder just a tad bit more.
> What would be the best bet - Focus on certs? (Online/classroom
> setting/Bookstore?)
> Or pursue an IT Degree? AS -for now-
> Which would give me better return on my money career wise?
> Should i get a bachelor's degree in basket weaving and do my certs?
> Or go to college (i've noticed the courses provide a few certs as well)
> Any help would be appreciated,
> Thanks!

=?Utf-8?B?T2hub2Vz?=

Thanks Keith,

I do have the GI bill thankfully. I'm leaning towards getting an AS with a
few certs under my belt. It seems that would be the best bet.

"Keith" wrote:

> Ohnoes,
>
> I want to first thank you for your service to the our great country. Second
> I would ask you this question, did you take part in the GI bill, I did while
> i was in the Army and when I got out it paid for all of my AS degree in
> Computer Programming. I think that either way you go it be of benifit but if
> you have the GI bill money I would use it all up first.
>
> KC
>
> "Ohnoes" wrote:
>
> > Hey there everybody!
> >
> > So, i just got out of the military as an IT guy 3 years, and just hunkered
> > myself into just a fine little job as an IBM deskside making JUST enough
> > money to put ramen noodles on the table for the family. I need to move up the
> > ladder just a tad bit more.
> > What would be the best bet - Focus on certs? (Online/classroom
> > setting/Bookstore?)
> > Or pursue an IT Degree? AS -for now-
> > Which would give me better return on my money career wise?
> > Should i get a bachelor's degree in basket weaving and do my certs?
> > Or go to college (i've noticed the courses provide a few certs as well)
> > Any help would be appreciated,
> > Thanks!

Red Swingline Stapler

=?Utf-8?B?T2hub2Vz?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I do have the GI bill thankfully. I'm leaning towards getting an AS
> with a few certs under my belt. It seems that would be the best bet.

Priority 1) Degrees (as long as it is focused on your career path)
Priority 2) Certs

Egghead

Degree is a must while you want to move up the ladder. However, I will do
the certs first. After completed the MCSE/A+/???+ cets, I will go to get
the degree. It is b'cos he has the exp already. He need something now. A
Degree needs more than couple years to complete, and those certs only need
around a year to complete. Therefore, get the certs then degree. Or, you can
take the degree in one course per term while studying the certs. At the end,
you need boths to move up

--
cheers,
RL
"Red Swingline Stapler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> =?Utf-8?B?T2hub2Vz?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I do have the GI bill thankfully. I'm leaning towards getting an AS
>> with a few certs under my belt. It seems that would be the best bet.

> Priority 1) Degrees (as long as it is focused on your career path)
> Priority 2) Certs

=?Utf-8?B?TGFycnlXZXN0TUNTRA==?=

I also thank you for your service to our country.
Why not kill two birds with one stone?
There are several colleges that will give you college credit for your
certification exams - the New York Regents University (or whatever they call
it now) comes to mind. These can usually be used as electives at most
colleges.
Other colleges, such as one I am considering for graduate school, will
accept certification exams as fulfilling the prerequisites for certain
classes or as the requirement of the class itself (freeing up that
requirement to allow you to take another elective class).
Talk to a counselor at the colleges you are considering, and see who offers
the best deal.
Since it is probably too late to sign up for fall classes (at most colleges,
anyway), you might want to spend the rest of the year studying for the
certification exams that advance you most at the college of your choice, then
start the college in the spring semester.
Best wishes in whatever you decide to do - just do something!

"Egghead" wrote:

> Degree is a must while you want to move up the ladder. However, I will do
> the certs first. After completed the MCSE/A+/???+ cets, I will go to get
> the degree. It is b'cos he has the exp already. He need something now. A
> Degree needs more than couple years to complete, and those certs only need
> around a year to complete. Therefore, get the certs then degree. Or, you can
> take the degree in one course per term while studying the certs. At the end,
> you need boths to move up
>
> --
> cheers,
> RL
> "Red Swingline Stapler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > =?Utf-8?B?T2hub2Vz?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > news:(E-Mail Removed):
> >
> >> I do have the GI bill thankfully. I'm leaning towards getting an AS
> >> with a few certs under my belt. It seems that would be the best bet.

> > Priority 1) Degrees (as long as it is focused on your career path)
> > Priority 2) Certs

Harvey Colwell

I taught and wrote curriculum for 15 years. I find it very hard to sit in a
class while someone else is teaching. The pace is much too slow for me. I
prefer the self-study method. But I think that most people befit from the
structure that a class environment offers.

Many Junior Colleges offer IT degrees that closely follow CompTIA and
Microsoft Certification paths. They use the official curriculum making it
easy for their students to take the relevant certification exams at the end
of each semester.

"Ohnoes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey there everybody!
>
> So, i just got out of the military as an IT guy 3 years, and just hunkered
> myself into just a fine little job as an IBM deskside making JUST enough
> money to put ramen noodles on the table for the family. I need to move up
> the
> ladder just a tad bit more.
> What would be the best bet - Focus on certs? (Online/classroom
> setting/Bookstore?)
> Or pursue an IT Degree? AS -for now-
> Which would give me better return on my money career wise?
> Should i get a bachelor's degree in basket weaving and do my certs?
> Or go to college (i've noticed the courses provide a few certs as well)
> Any help would be appreciated,
> Thanks!

=?Utf-8?B?cmViZGQ=?=

That is so true im 18 i have like 3 certs and i got them while i was
in high school and im working in the IT deparment doing netowrking with
cisco systems and novell and i do tech support