Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > RCR-V3 Batteries & AA NiMH

RCR-V3 Batteries & AA NiMH

Raoul

I'm looking at a camera that uses CR-V3 Li Batteries or RCR-V3
rechargeable Li-Ion batteries. These can also be used as in cameras
that take AA batteries. Can a pair of good (2500mAH+) NiMH AA
batteries be used in place of the CR-V3 type batteries?

Thanks

Dave Cohen

Raoul wrote:
> I'm looking at a camera that uses CR-V3 Li Batteries or RCR-V3
> rechargeable Li-Ion batteries. These can also be used as in cameras
> that take AA batteries. Can a pair of good (2500mAH+) NiMH AA
> batteries be used in place of the CR-V3 type batteries?
>
> Thanks

Some cameras accept either, but best to check actual specs. You'll get
fewer shots with NiMH but save a lot of money. Late model cameras get
hundreds of shots from NiMH so it's not a problem.
Dave Cohen

ASAAR

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 20:26:38 -0400, Raoul wrote:

> I'm looking at a camera that uses CR-V3 Li Batteries or RCR-V3
> rechargeable Li-Ion batteries. These can also be used as in cameras
> that take AA batteries. Can a pair of good (2500mAH+) NiMH AA
> batteries be used in place of the CR-V3 type batteries?

It depends on the camera, so you might get a better answer if you
either download the camera's manual or mention which camera you're
considering. Most cameras that use CR-V3 batteries should also work
well using NiMH AA batteries, but there may be an oddball camera or
two that won't perform well if you don't use the batteries it was
designed for. The manual should state which batteries are
compatible as well as how many shots you can expect to get. Someone
may have the same camera and may be able to share their experience.

FWIW, the first camera manual I checked was for Kodak's C663, and
it rates CR-V3 lithium batteries from 350 to 500 shots, and lithium
AA cells from 250 to 350 shots, so the ones you'd want to use would
depend mostly on their prices. The lithium AA cells, btw, should
have about a 5 year longer shelf life and should also work much
better in very cold temperatures.

The number of shots using NiMH AA cells will depend on their
capacity, with 200 to 300 for 2100mAh NiMH AA cells, about 238 to
357 shots for 2,500mAh cells and from 257 to 386 shots for 2,700mAh
AA cells.

Kodak has a guide that can help select the best battery type to
use depending on how the camera will be used, but it's not a perfect
guide since it doesn't consider some of the newer, more efficient
cameras, and it was probably written before the latest Eneloop (very
low self discharge rate) type NiMH batteries became available.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/servi...eryUsage.jhtml

Ron Hunter

Raoul wrote:
> I'm looking at a camera that uses CR-V3 Li Batteries or RCR-V3
> rechargeable Li-Ion batteries. These can also be used as in cameras
> that take AA batteries. Can a pair of good (2500mAH+) NiMH AA
> batteries be used in place of the CR-V3 type batteries?
>
> Thanks

Normally, yes.

SMS

On Aug 14, 5:26 pm, Raoul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm looking at a camera that uses CR-V3 Li Batteries or RCR-V3
> rechargeable Li-Ion batteries. These can also be used as in cameras
> that take AA batteries. Can a pair of good (2500mAH+) NiMH AA
> batteries be used in place of the CR-V3 type batteries?
>
> Thanks

Normally no. You'll just have to try. Going the other way like that
often does not work. CR-V3 batteries start off at about 3.8-3.9 volts,
and the camera shuts down at about 3.1 volts. With two NiMH AA cells
you're only at around 2.5 volts fresh off the charger. Lithium AA
cells begin at about 1.8 volts, so two would be 3.6 volts and would
work (assuming the camera can physically accept two AA cells), but of
course these are not rechargeable.

Also remember, the camera has to have the battery contacts in place to
use two AA cells rather than a single CR-V3 battery. If it has those
contacts that connect the two AA batteries in series inside the
battery compartment, then they probably designed it to work with the
lower voltages of NiMH and Alkaline batteries, and may have a switch
to specify the battery type being used.

The RCR-V3 batteries aren't two expensive, so why would you want to do
this anyway?

"http://sterlingtek.com/recrba.html"
"http://sterlingtek.com/crbachkit.html"

Personally, a camera that used CR-V3 batteries would be unacceptable
to me. These batteries are lower capacity and higher cost than
proprietary Li-Ion batteries and NiMH batteries.

Steve
"http://batterydata.com"
Earth's Independent Source for Unbiased Digital Camera Battery
Information

Ron Hunter

SMS wrote:
> On Aug 14, 5:26 pm, Raoul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I'm looking at a camera that uses CR-V3 Li Batteries or RCR-V3
>> rechargeable Li-Ion batteries. These can also be used as in cameras
>> that take AA batteries. Can a pair of good (2500mAH+) NiMH AA
>> batteries be used in place of the CR-V3 type batteries?
>>
>> Thanks

> Normally no. You'll just have to try. Going the other way like that
> often does not work. CR-V3 batteries start off at about 3.8-3.9 volts,
> and the camera shuts down at about 3.1 volts. With two NiMH AA cells
> you're only at around 2.5 volts fresh off the charger. Lithium AA
> cells begin at about 1.8 volts, so two would be 3.6 volts and would
> work (assuming the camera can physically accept two AA cells), but of
> course these are not rechargeable.
>
> Also remember, the camera has to have the battery contacts in place to
> use two AA cells rather than a single CR-V3 battery. If it has those
> contacts that connect the two AA batteries in series inside the
> battery compartment, then they probably designed it to work with the
> lower voltages of NiMH and Alkaline batteries, and may have a switch
> to specify the battery type being used.
>
> The RCR-V3 batteries aren't two expensive, so why would you want to do
> this anyway?
>
> "http://sterlingtek.com/recrba.html"
> "http://sterlingtek.com/crbachkit.html"
>
> Personally, a camera that used CR-V3 batteries would be unacceptable
> to me. These batteries are lower capacity and higher cost than
> proprietary Li-Ion batteries and NiMH batteries.
>
> Steve
> "http://batterydata.com"
> Earth's Independent Source for Unbiased Digital Camera Battery
> Information

I see no advantage to the CRV3 today, but they were useful before the
advent of AA lithium disposables. My first camera would allow CRV3, or
two NIMH, or two AA lithium batteries, but NOT AA alkalines.
My current one still doesn't allow alkalines, although the newer ones
(oxirides) would probably work.

SMS

Ron Hunter wrote:

> I see no advantage to the CRV3 today, but they were useful before the
> advent of AA lithium disposables. My first camera would allow CRV3, or
> two NIMH, or two AA lithium batteries, but NOT AA alkalines.
> My current one still doesn't allow alkalines, although the newer ones
> (oxirides) would probably work.

I wonder what digital camera the original poster is looking at that
accepts only CR-V3 batteries. I've never seen such a camera.

Raoul

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 14:24:23 -0700, SMS <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>The RCR-V3 batteries aren't two expensive, so why would you want to do
>this anyway?
>
>"http://sterlingtek.com/recrba.html"
>"http://sterlingtek.com/crbachkit.html"

I have a bunch of AAs already and am trying to not have a bunch of
different batteries around. But, the camera I'm looking at, the Kodak
Z812IS looks to have everything else on my wish list.

After looking at Sterlingtek, I checked out ebay. There are generic
ECRV3s there for even less. Any reason not to go with those?

ASAAR

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 20:01:09 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

>> Personally, a camera that used CR-V3 batteries would be unacceptable
>> to me. These batteries are lower capacity and higher cost than
>> proprietary Li-Ion batteries and NiMH batteries.
>>
>> Steve
>> "http://batterydata.com"
>> Earth's Independent Source for Unbiased Digital Camera Battery
>> Information

> I see no advantage to the CRV3 today, but they were useful before the
> advent of AA lithium disposables. My first camera would allow CRV3, or
> two NIMH, or two AA lithium batteries, but NOT AA alkalines.
> My current one still doesn't allow alkalines, although the newer ones
> (oxirides) would probably work.

If you can get good prices for the CRV3 batteries they're still
probably better than lithium AA batteries, but you may have to buy
two lifetime supplies to get good prices. I have manuals for about
1/2 dozen Kodak cameras and the different battery types performed
comparably (using CIPA testing) in the different camera models.
This is how they performed in the C503/C533 according to Kodak :

# Shots Battery type
xxxxxx AA manganese (not recommended or supported)
70-100 AA alkaline
100-200 AA (oxyride type)
250-350 AA NiMH
250-350 AA NiMH (proprietary Kodak battery pack?)
350-550 AA lithium
450-650 CRV3

So for some people CRV3 batteries would be a good choice but as
usual, YMMV.

SMS

Raoul wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 14:24:23 -0700, SMS <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> The RCR-V3 batteries aren't two expensive, so why would you want to do
>> this anyway?
>>
>> "http://sterlingtek.com/recrba.html"
>> "http://sterlingtek.com/crbachkit.html"

> I have a bunch of AAs already and am trying to not have a bunch of
> different batteries around. But, the camera I'm looking at, the Kodak
> Z812IS looks to have everything else on my wish list.
>
> After looking at Sterlingtek, I checked out ebay. There are generic
> ECRV3s there for even less. Any reason not to go with those?

I prefer dealing with a known entity. Also be sure to include the
shipping costs. Often eBay sellers will inflate the shipping cost but
set the price of the item very low. This is for two reasons, first
shipping is not refundable, and second, eBay fees are based on the
amount the item sells for, but not on shipping and handling.

I'm just familiar with SterlingTek, I'm sure there are other good places
as well.