Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Laptop XP to Laptop Vista Connection

Laptop XP to Laptop Vista Connection

=?Utf-8?B?TW9ybmVTQQ==?=

Hi

Please help. My friend has a Toshiba laptop, loaded with Vista. I've got and
Packard Bell loaded with Windows XP. How do we get connected via WIFI to each
other and be able to see shared files on each others pc's?

Thanks
MorneSA

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
If both of you are connected to the same Wireless Routers, and yours
computers are configured to be on the same Network.
settings,http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Basic XP -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"MorneSA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> Please help. My friend has a Toshiba laptop, loaded with Vista. I've got
> and
> Packard Bell loaded with Windows XP. How do we get connected via WIFI to
> each
> other and be able to see shared files on each others pc's?
>
> Thanks
> MorneSA

Lem

MorneSA wrote:
> Hi
>
> Please help. My friend has a Toshiba laptop, loaded with Vista. I've got and
> Packard Bell loaded with Windows XP. How do we get connected via WIFI to each
> other and be able to see shared files on each others pc's?
>
> Thanks
> MorneSA

If you both have WiFi adapters in your computers (that is, each computer
can connect wirelessly to "something," there are basically 2 options:

1. Connect to the same home wireless router so that both computers are
on the same LAN. Then set permissions accordingly. This is what Jack is
talking about in the post above. See
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-networ...ta-ad-hoc.html

2. Set up an ad hoc network between the two computers without a router.
This is called an "ad hoc network." It is equivalent to connecting a
cross-over Ethernet cable between the two computers. From a security
standpoint, disable this configuration after you're finished doing what
you need to do. Ad hoc networks in XP are not very secure.
See
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...bd5dc1033.mspx

--