Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > PC Diagnostic Tools

PC Diagnostic Tools

RainKingKC

I'm trying to write a CD with a pretty standard set of PC diagnostic
software for the typical desktop field support technician. Anyone
have any suggestions on programs that you've tested and utilized?
Most of my diagnostic programs I pull from download.com - which has a
pretty generous variety of freeware apps.

RAM/Memory Testing Applications
Boot CDs
Registry Repair/Cleaners
Spyware Removal Software
Diagnostic Programs (i.e. Dr.Watson)

Let me know if you have a recommendation.

John Holmes

RainKingKC "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> I'm trying to write a CD with a pretty standard set of PC diagnostic
> software for the typical desktop field support technician. Anyone
> have any suggestions on programs that you've tested and utilized?
> Most of my diagnostic programs I pull from download.com - which has a
> pretty generous variety of freeware apps.
>
> RAM/Memory Testing Applications
> Boot CDs
> Registry Repair/Cleaners
> Spyware Removal Software
> Diagnostic Programs (i.e. Dr.Watson)
>
> Let me know if you have a recommendation.

Hiren's Boot CD has everything, no need to invent the wheel once more.

--
Your mother was a placid minor celebrity who burnt rubber dog turds on
the roof of her house.

Gordon

Meat Plow wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 18:36:47 +0200, John Holmes wrote:
>
>> RainKingKC "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>>
>>> I'm trying to write a CD with a pretty standard set of PC diagnostic
>>> software for the typical desktop field support technician. Anyone
>>> have any suggestions on programs that you've tested and utilized?
>>> Most of my diagnostic programs I pull from download.com - which has a
>>> pretty generous variety of freeware apps.
>>>
>>> RAM/Memory Testing Applications
>>> Boot CDs
>>> Registry Repair/Cleaners
>>> Spyware Removal Software
>>> Diagnostic Programs (i.e. Dr.Watson)
>>>
>>> Let me know if you have a recommendation.
>>>

>> Hiren's Boot CD has everything, no need to invent the wheel once more.

> Got a download link for that?

0.08 secs on Google:
http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

Meat Plow

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 18:36:47 +0200, John Holmes wrote:

> RainKingKC "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> I'm trying to write a CD with a pretty standard set of PC diagnostic
>> software for the typical desktop field support technician. Anyone
>> have any suggestions on programs that you've tested and utilized?
>> Most of my diagnostic programs I pull from download.com - which has a
>> pretty generous variety of freeware apps.
>>
>> RAM/Memory Testing Applications
>> Boot CDs
>> Registry Repair/Cleaners
>> Spyware Removal Software
>> Diagnostic Programs (i.e. Dr.Watson)
>>
>> Let me know if you have a recommendation.
>>

> Hiren's Boot CD has everything, no need to invent the wheel once more.

Got a download link for that?

Vanguard

"John Holmes" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). nl...

> RainKingKC:
>
>> I'm trying to write a CD with a pretty standard set of PC
>> diagnostic
>> software for the typical desktop field support technician. Anyone
>> have any suggestions on programs that you've tested and utilized?
>> Most of my diagnostic programs I pull from download.com - which has
>> pretty generous variety of freeware apps.
>>
>> RAM/Memory Testing Applications
>> Boot CDs
>> Registry Repair/Cleaners
>> Spyware Removal Software
>> Diagnostic Programs (i.e. Dr.Watson)

> Hiren's Boot CD has everything, no need to invent the wheel once
> more.

From http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd, it looks like what you get on
the CD are trial versions that you then have to install. If the PC is
bad, how can you guarantee that you can install any of these programs?
And why would a user permit anyone to download a **** load of
diagnostic software onto their PC?

I saw the same thing with the UltimateBootCD
(http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/). Lots of trail or free version but
they were the install programs. The program doesn't run from the CD.
You have to install from the CD onto the hard drive which pollutes the
system or installs aren't possible because of whatever is the problem
with the PC. Yeah, the CD was bootable to present you with a menu to
select the programs but once selected you ended up running an
installation of that program. You weren't running an installed
version of the program from the CD. There is probably no legal
problem in redistributing the trial versions of the programs but
obviously many cannot be the fully installed version running from the
CD as that would be piracy.

It's like a download site of utilities but on a CD without the need to
connect to a site. You could build your own bootable CD of
installable utilities but Hiren and UltimateBoot have already compiled
these CDs. Just be aware that many of the programs require that you
actually *install* them onto the PC with which you are already having
problems. You'll have to see which programs run from the CD and which
ones start an installation. They're handy if you have no Internet
connectivity.

Meat Plow

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 17:55:39 +0100, Gordon wrote:

> Meat Plow wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 18:36:47 +0200, John Holmes wrote:
>>
>>> RainKingKC "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>>> Hiren's Boot CD has everything, no need to invent the wheel once more.

>> Got a download link for that?
>>

> 0.08 secs on Google:
> http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

Was there, didn't see the "download link"

RainKingKC

On Aug 14, 2:10 pm, Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 17:55:39 +0100, Gordon wrote:
> > Meat Plow wrote:

> >> Got a download link for that?

> > 0.08 secs on Google:
> >http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

> Was there, didn't see the "download link"- Hide quoted text -

Neither did I. I did, however, find the 9.1 version torrent and was
able to successfully download it.

Demonoid has 8.x to 9.1, but I couldn't find 9.2.

Clogwog

"John Holmes" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed). nl...
> RainKingKC "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> I'm trying to write a CD with a pretty standard set of PC diagnostic
>> software for the typical desktop field support technician. Anyone
>> have any suggestions on programs that you've tested and utilized?
>> Most of my diagnostic programs I pull from download.com - which has a
>> pretty generous variety of freeware apps.
>>
>> RAM/Memory Testing Applications
>> Boot CDs
>> Registry Repair/Cleaners
>> Spyware Removal Software
>> Diagnostic Programs (i.e. Dr.Watson)
>>
>> Let me know if you have a recommendation.
>>

> Hiren's Boot CD has everything, no need to invent the wheel once more.

Too much of everything, but i'll give it a try on this one:
http://www2.hiren.info/funny/picture...n-computer.jpg

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Clogwog wrote:

> Too much of everything, but i'll give it a try on this one:
> http://www2.hiren.info/funny/picture...n-computer.jpg

I knew looking at porn was going to lead to trouble.

SgtMinor

There's a link here: http://www.nsaneproductions.com/forums/?showtopic=7482