Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > PC Diagnostic Tools

PC Diagnostic Tools

WhzzKdd

"Mara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 16:53:56 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
> <frack_this@email_is.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>IIRC, the national average US wage in 2005 was over $36K. I'm still (two
>>years later) about $8K below that. When the boss asked me how I was losing
>>weight, I told him it was the car payments. I can't do that AND buy
>>groceries. He didn't see the humor in it. Neither do I.

> Well, if it's any comfort, you make more money than I do.
>
> Have you ever caught your boss and his underling attempting to do
> something
> completely unethical and dishonest, and then had your job threatened by
> him
> because of it?

Fortunately, no. One thing we DO have is what appears to be a very honest
group of people.

> Me. Last week. Now I have to decide what I'm going to do about it.

I'm glad I don't have to make decisions like that. I was already about to
quit - that would have made me walk out, even if I had to give up the car.

Mara

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 18:14:08 -0700, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid>
wrote:

>"Mara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

<snip>

>> Have you ever caught your boss and his underling attempting to do
>> something
>> completely unethical and dishonest, and then had your job threatened by
>> him
>> because of it?
>>

>Fortunately, no. One thing we DO have is what appears to be a very honest
>group of people.

No danger of that here. Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one in the whole
damned place who knows the difference between right and wrong and has the guts
to stand up for myself and my community. It's just pathetic.

>> Me. Last week. Now I have to decide what I'm going to do about it.
>>

>I'm glad I don't have to make decisions like that. I was already about to
>quit - that would have made me walk out, even if I had to give up the car.

I'm seriously considering it. The guy has the worst case of NPD I've ever heard
of. I wasn't aware of just how far the sickness went until I called them out on
it and he tried to threaten me. Well, he can go right on ahead and "fire me and
outsource," because I talked to the one place they could outsource to last
Friday, and they say they won't do it. He'd be screwed in so many ways it
beggars the imagination. And that's not even considering what the community
would think - and do. He might as well pack up and leave right now.

There's another meeting soon. It's for the committee that he/they tried to
completely bypass, just so he could indulge his sick fantasies. He won't be
there, but the person he put up to trying to do this will be, and I will have to
call that person on it in front of the group, because they have a right to know
what that person tried to do behind their backs, and because it's the ethical,
moral, and just plain *right* thing to do. It will probably cost me my job
anyway because he's really stupid as a stump and hasn't clue one about what
would happen, but at that point it won't be my problem anymore - and my number
one rule is:

Once you leave, don't ever go back.

His accomplice owes that committee a rather large apology, and I'm going to see
to it that they get it.

--
Cat people are different, to the extent that they generally are not
conformists. How could they be, with a cat running their lives?

WhzzKdd

"Mara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 18:14:08 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
> <frack_this@email_is.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>"Mara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> <snip>
>
>>> Have you ever caught your boss and his underling attempting to do
>>> something
>>> completely unethical and dishonest, and then had your job threatened by
>>> him
>>> because of it?
>>>

>>Fortunately, no. One thing we DO have is what appears to be a very honest
>>group of people.

> No danger of that here. Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one in the
> whole
> damned place who knows the difference between right and wrong and has the
> guts
> to stand up for myself and my community. It's just pathetic.
>
>>> Me. Last week. Now I have to decide what I'm going to do about it.
>>>

>>I'm glad I don't have to make decisions like that. I was already about to
>>quit - that would have made me walk out, even if I had to give up the car.

> I'm seriously considering it. The guy has the worst case of NPD I've ever
> heard
> of. I wasn't aware of just how far the sickness went until I called them
> out on
> it and he tried to threaten me. Well, he can go right on ahead and "fire
> me and
> outsource," because I talked to the one place they could outsource to last
> Friday, and they say they won't do it. He'd be screwed in so many ways it
> beggars the imagination. And that's not even considering what the
> community
> would think - and do. He might as well pack up and leave right now.
>
> There's another meeting soon. It's for the committee that he/they tried to
> completely bypass, just so he could indulge his sick fantasies. He won't
> be
> there, but the person he put up to trying to do this will be, and I will
> have to
> call that person on it in front of the group, because they have a right to
> know
> what that person tried to do behind their backs, and because it's the
> ethical,
> moral, and just plain *right* thing to do. It will probably cost me my job
> anyway because he's really stupid as a stump and hasn't clue one about
> what
> would happen, but at that point it won't be my problem anymore - and my
> number
> one rule is:
>
> Once you leave, don't ever go back.
>
> His accomplice owes that committee a rather large apology, and I'm going
> to see
> to it that they get it.

In today's economy, the idea of quitting a job or losing a job is scary as
hell. That's a tough decision to make. Best of luck with it - hopefully all
will work out okay.

Mara

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 19:22:03 -0700, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid>
wrote:

<snip>

>In today's economy, the idea of quitting a job or losing a job is scary as
>hell. That's a tough decision to make. Best of luck with it - hopefully all
>will work out okay.

I'd rather flip burgers for minimum wage than spend my working life having to
watch my back every second and know I was going in to work with a bunch of
lying, hypocritical, unethical assholes. At least I can look at myself in the
mirror every morning and know that *my* conscience is clear.

--
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth
and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for

ian field

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "ian field" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Also the AVG resident shield is now reporting a virus since accessing
>>pirates bay and so far repeated attempts to remove it all report
>>successful
>>removal - but its still there when I rescan!

> You won't get malware visiting The Pirate Bay,

Thar be dragons!

why?

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 15:46:19 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:

>"Ophelia Cummins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 21:55:14 +0000, why? wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 20:58:53 -0000, Ophelia Cummins wrote:

>> <snip>

>> <snip more>
>>> <snip spacer>

>>> Well work for me was alyays fun, last few months the company have made
>>> it not fun, a pain, not enjoyable, difficult, being dumped upon.
>>>
>>> Shows up in some recent posts as well after a bad day.
>>>
>>> Me

>> I'll forgive you for your bad days, if you forgive me for mine.
>>

>Hopefully that goes for all of us. Today is my first full day off in about 6
>weeks. Of course, I /could/ be at the office, but I have to clean house
>sometime.

We had people made to leave, and people left because of the crap going
on and going to happen.

Got to tell a manager to FO the other day, constant interruptions, silly
requests for well everything. Getting dumped on for the job of 1 of
those that left and management tasks for someone on hols. On on top of
everything else migrating the last few hundred of 1200 LAN ports while
being asked to estimate manpower and hours.

I am just an engineer at the bottom of the food chain,not a project
manager and said so quite bluntly.

What's fun is the union guy's said to keep a note of the requests on my
time and show just how much I am asked, even from other sites in the
country. Shoving the list in someones face and saying take a number
eases the stress level.

<snip>

>So MY task (on top of my other 11 jobs like customer service, order entry,
>invoicing, etc.) has been to upgrade the PCs to be able to move to a Windows
>Server type of network. Add more memory, update the OS to XP Pro, install
>Office 2003, update the AV software, do all the updates for the OS/Office,
>etc. Since the PCs are all of varying ages and hardware configurations,
>there doesn't seem to be an easy solution. I'm sitting down and running
>updates on several at a time, hopping from one PC to the next - round robin
>sort of thing.

That's just the sort of thing I have been doing for years.

>Next, I get to buy servers and get our users networked in Windows Server
>2003. They have hired consultants to actually set up the new software,

Do some of that as well, except the training me and people don't get
along.

<snip>

Me

why?

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 16:53:56 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:

>"Ophelia Cummins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 15:46:19 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:
>>
>>> "Ophelia Cummins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> <snip>
>>>>

>>> Hopefully that goes for all of us. Today is my first full day off in
>>> about 6
>>> weeks. Of course, I /could/ be at the office, but I have to clean house

<snip>
>>> The only nice thing about this whole project is the boss said I can spend
>>> whatever I want on the servers <g>! Oh - and I get paid overtime: I'm not
>>> on
>>> a salary. Maybe if I keep reminding myself how much extra money this is
>>> making for me, I'll be able to keep my attitude out of the crapper.

>> Whew! See what I mean, you're essentially "it". I hope you have time to
>> sleep. I get paid for lowly entry work, & feign knowing anything else.
>> My "bunk buddy" can continue with his ways of making fairly decent wages.
>> I'll continue to be silent.
>> ;-|

>Yeah - I been silent for years. This year was the first in 25 (yes,
>twenty-five) that I went to the boss and asked for a raise*. No luck.
>
>*In that 25, I've had two raises that I 'earned' besides minor company-wide
>'cost of living' increases every couple of years. If I'm that invaluable and
>productive an employee, why do the workers in the plant who stack wood make
>more than I do? <g>
>
>IIRC, the national average US wage in 2005 was over $36K. I'm still (two
>years later) about $8K below that. When the boss asked me how I was losing
>weight, I told him it was the car payments. I can't do that AND buy
>groceries. He didn't see the humor in it. Neither do I.

One for the X Files conspiracy then, same with the wages here. 2 or 3
years at 0% a few at 2%(ish), but always quoting - the national average.
Still quite a bit lower than all the yearly reports in the trade press,
Maybe someone can't read.

Me

why?

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 21:01:06 -0500, Mara wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 18:14:08 -0700, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>"Mara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

><snip>
>
>>> Have you ever caught your boss and his underling attempting to do
>>> something
>>> completely unethical and dishonest, and then had your job threatened by
>>> him
>>> because of it?
>>>

>>Fortunately, no. One thing we DO have is what appears to be a very honest
>>group of people.

>No danger of that here. Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one in the whole
>damned place who knows the difference between right and wrong and has the guts
>to stand up for myself and my community. It's just pathetic.
>
>>> Me. Last week. Now I have to decide what I'm going to do about it.
>>>

>>I'm glad I don't have to make decisions like that. I was already about to
>>quit - that would have made me walk out, even if I had to give up the car.

>I'm seriously considering it. The guy has the worst case of NPD I've ever heard
>of. I wasn't aware of just how far the sickness went until I called them out on
>it and he tried to threaten me. Well, he can go right on ahead and "fire me and
>outsource," because I talked to the one place they could outsource to last

Our place is a right mess, as mentioned before having been outsourced
and each summer / xmas they try again.

Last month was the compulsory redundancies, 3 people in a team of 4.
2 got thier jobs back after customer found out and questioned the whole
process. 1 guy was picked out of the blue to replace 1 kept, he got
married the month before.

So if they get rid of 50 across the UK, then it looks better to sell off
in a few months.

I have been dumped with the job of the guy that left and 3 other people
chose to leave, 1 before the xmas mess starts all over.

So instead of 3 leaving it's 5 and the same work to be done.

No one of those left with jobs have had the notices they are safe. That
was meant to be about 2 months ago. The same weekend the warnings and
your role isn't required messages.

<snip>

Me

why?

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 22:39:37 -0500, Mara wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 19:22:03 -0700, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid>
>wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>>In today's economy, the idea of quitting a job or losing a job is scary as

Too right.

>>hell. That's a tough decision to make. Best of luck with it - hopefully all
>>will work out okay.

>I'd rather flip burgers for minimum wage than spend my working life having to
>watch my back every second and know I was going in to work with a bunch of
>lying, hypocritical, unethical assholes. At least I can look at myself in the

I went through the period of people lying, part of why I joined the
union.

>mirror every morning and know that *my* conscience is clear.

Good.

Me

Mara

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 19:40:57 GMT, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz>
wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 22:39:37 -0500, Mara wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 19:22:03 -0700, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid>
>>wrote:
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>>In today's economy, the idea of quitting a job or losing a job is scary as

>Too right.
>
>>>hell. That's a tough decision to make. Best of luck with it - hopefully all
>>>will work out okay.

>>I'd rather flip burgers for minimum wage than spend my working life having to
>>watch my back every second and know I was going in to work with a bunch of
>>lying, hypocritical, unethical assholes. At least I can look at myself in the

>I went through the period of people lying, part of why I joined the
>union.

There's no union here. I wish there was.