Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > PC Diagnostic Tools

Reply
Thread Tools

PC Diagnostic Tools

 
 
why?
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2007

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 13:17:13 -0500, Vanguard wrote:

>"Alfred" wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> "Vanguard" wrote:
>>>
>>> "John Holmes" wrote ...
>>>>
>>>> Hiren's Boot CD has everything, no need to invent the wheel once
>>>> more.
>>>
>>> From http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd, it looks like what you get


<snip>

>Thanks for the tip (on using a RAM drive).


So the RAM drive doesn't have access to the hardisks anyway, oh no wait
it does data recovery.

>Peculiarly the author doesn't provide a download link for this tool.
>No link at http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd. After scanning through
>10 pages of his freeware download pages, I grew tired of trying to
>find his tool in that list. Apparently he doesn't provide downloads


It took only 10 minutes on the 1st go.

>of his own tool. He doesn't even give links to authorized download


What does authorized and legit have to do with this tool?

>sites (i.e., to where the author submitted legit copies of his tool).
>Yeah, I can Google but would rather get from sites authorized by the
>author to prevent getting dubious copies.


Ditto for dubious.

You don't have to download it, you could buy the current versions of
many of the apps from the vendors.

Me
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2007
"ian field" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> "ian field" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


>>>Also the AVG resident shield is now reporting a virus since accessing
>>>pirates bay and so far repeated attempts to remove it all report
>>>successful
>>>removal - but its still there when I rescan!


>> You won't get malware visiting The Pirate Bay, what you download tho
>> is another matter, you need to read the replies of the download and
>> scan it when you finish the download.


>> The Pirate Bay doesn't have any files online, the tracker tells you
>> where they are available.


>Prior to visiting piratesbay I'd downloaded the 9.2.rar from only one of
>about 7 mirrors that still worked, but the resident shield didn't start
>alerting till I'd visited PB. AVG did eventually shift it after numerous
>repeated scans.


I'm guessing AVG was scanning and just happed to hit on something the
same time you went to TPB.

TPB is a respected site - what you download thru the trackers it
provides is a different matter.

--
Over 1,700 Arcade Manuals in PDF Format!
http://ascii.textfiles.com/archives/000454.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
ian field
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2007

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "ian field" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> "ian field" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>>>>Also the AVG resident shield is now reporting a virus since accessing
>>>>pirates bay and so far repeated attempts to remove it all report
>>>>successful
>>>>removal - but its still there when I rescan!

>
>>> You won't get malware visiting The Pirate Bay, what you download tho
>>> is another matter, you need to read the replies of the download and
>>> scan it when you finish the download.

>
>>> The Pirate Bay doesn't have any files online, the tracker tells you
>>> where they are available.

>
>>Prior to visiting piratesbay I'd downloaded the 9.2.rar from only one of
>>about 7 mirrors that still worked, but the resident shield didn't start
>>alerting till I'd visited PB. AVG did eventually shift it after numerous
>>repeated scans.

>
> I'm guessing AVG was scanning and just happed to hit on something the
> same time you went to TPB.


No - there was no scan in progress at the time, the pop up clearly
identified itself as resident shield.
>
> TPB is a respected site - what you download thru the trackers it
> provides is a different matter.


I only got around to downloading a torrent client earlier today, the
resident shield activated yesterday evening when I had no idea what the 13k
tracking file was.

The reported file was SYS32/PEPatch and has damaged AVG itself. Today's scan
warned that email protection had been de-activated and the re-activate
button just vanished as soon as "OK" was clicked, all attempts to re-install
AVG from the original disk result in failed installation, any attempt to
commence a scan just blows through in less than a second. Downloading and
installing AVG free completes ok and download update completes on request
but scan won't activate from test manager whether called from systray, start
bar or program list.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Meat Plow
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2007
On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 20:36:48 +0000, ian field wrote:

>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "ian field" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>>> "ian field" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>
>>>>>Also the AVG resident shield is now reporting a virus since accessing
>>>>>pirates bay and so far repeated attempts to remove it all report
>>>>>successful
>>>>>removal - but its still there when I rescan!

>>
>>>> You won't get malware visiting The Pirate Bay, what you download tho
>>>> is another matter, you need to read the replies of the download and
>>>> scan it when you finish the download.

>>
>>>> The Pirate Bay doesn't have any files online, the tracker tells you
>>>> where they are available.

>>
>>>Prior to visiting piratesbay I'd downloaded the 9.2.rar from only one of
>>>about 7 mirrors that still worked, but the resident shield didn't start
>>>alerting till I'd visited PB. AVG did eventually shift it after numerous
>>>repeated scans.

>>
>> I'm guessing AVG was scanning and just happed to hit on something the
>> same time you went to TPB.

>
> No - there was no scan in progress at the time, the pop up clearly
> identified itself as resident shield.
>>
>> TPB is a respected site - what you download thru the trackers it
>> provides is a different matter.

>
> I only got around to downloading a torrent client earlier today, the
> resident shield activated yesterday evening when I had no idea what the 13k
> tracking file was.
>
> The reported file was SYS32/PEPatch and has damaged AVG itself. Today's scan
> warned that email protection had been de-activated and the re-activate
> button just vanished as soon as "OK" was clicked, all attempts to re-install
> AVG from the original disk result in failed installation, any attempt to
> commence a scan just blows through in less than a second. Downloading and
> installing AVG free completes ok and download update completes on request
> but scan won't activate from test manager whether called from systray, start
> bar or program list.


Some virus disable antivirus. ran into one that disabled the download of
new virus definitions to NOD32 and when you shut the process down it
shuts windoze down.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2007
"ian field" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I only got around to downloading a torrent client earlier today, the
>resident shield activated yesterday evening when I had no idea what the 13k
>tracking file was.


Just what was this ISO you were trying to download - File name so I
can find it on The Pirate Bay.
--
After that, police stopped answering the door, Webber said.
http://tinyurl.com/345m9b
 
Reply With Quote
 
ian field
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2007

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> "ian field" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I only got around to downloading a torrent client earlier today, the
>>resident shield activated yesterday evening when I had no idea what the
>>13k
>>tracking file was.

>
> Just what was this ISO you were trying to download - File name so I
> can find it on The Pirate Bay.


Hiren's BootCD.9.1.iso

Actually downloading this file yesterday with Azureus did not appear to add
to the problems, these occurred the day before - I may have clicked on an
adjacent file, there is an assortment of Hiren's entries with a variety of
extensions.

Yesterday I found that AVG Pro wouldn't install from the original disk so I
downloaded AVG free - this installed and seems to have automatically
detected that I have the paid for version. It downloads updates and
commences complete scan at the first power up each day - which its doing
right now, and has detected : Trojan Horse BackDoor.Agent.LKL


 
Reply With Quote
 
Plato
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2007
RainKingKC wrote:
>
> I'm trying to write a CD with a pretty standard set of PC diagnostic
> software for the typical desktop field support technician. Anyone


Nice idea. Make sure you can support it if you distribute it. Also make
sure the the EULA says that you can re-distribute the ware.


--
http://www.bootdisk.com/


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ophelia Cummins
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-19-2007
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 20:39:52 +0000, why? wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 16:25:12 -0000, RainKingKC wrote:
>
>>I'm trying to write a CD with a pretty standard set of PC diagnostic

>
> Knoppix live CD.
>
> BartPE CD, if you own a license for stuff like Nero / Acronis you can
> add these as plugins, if you are then able to boot you can also backup
> data.


I agree with these two. They have been invaluable.
 
Reply With Quote
 
why?
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-19-2007

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 18:35:34 -0000, Ophelia Cummins wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 20:39:52 +0000, why? wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 16:25:12 -0000, RainKingKC wrote:
>>
>>>I'm trying to write a CD with a pretty standard set of PC diagnostic

>>
>> Knoppix live CD.
>>
>> BartPE CD, if you own a license for stuff like Nero / Acronis you can
>> add these as plugins, if you are then able to boot you can also backup
>> data.

>
>I agree with these two. They have been invaluable.


The only times I don't mention Knoppix is when used at work, Too many
pointy stick in the rear must only use Windows OS types.

Me
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ophelia Cummins
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-19-2007
On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 20:06:07 +0000, why? wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 18:35:34 -0000, Ophelia Cummins wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 20:39:52 +0000, why? wrote:

<snip>
>>> Knoppix live CD.
>>>
>>> BartPE CD, if you own a license for stuff like Nero / Acronis you can
>>> add these as plugins, if you are then able to boot you can also backup
>>> data.

>>
>>I agree with these two. They have been invaluable.

>
> The only times I don't mention Knoppix is when used at work, Too many
> pointy stick in the rear must only use Windows OS types.
>
> Me


You DO know why the industry is named IT?

Wait for it.
|
v
|
v








You're the only one, making you "it".

;-/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carsoft, PART 8.2, Car Diagnostic and Tunning equipment, Dashboard tools, Workshop manuals John Holmes Computer Support 0 11-07-2007 09:45 PM
Req: Help for Diagnostic Tools & Software TIA Snoopy :-)) A+ Certification 3 10-10-2007 12:52 AM
PC Diagnostic tools Mr User Computer Support 10 08-20-2006 06:02 PM
Article : Security Tools Part -- 2 (.Net FrameWork Tools Series) Namratha Shah \(Nasha\) ASP .Net 0 11-23-2004 04:01 PM
Wireless Network Diagnostic Tools Charles Law Wireless Networking 5 09-16-2004 02:57 PM



Advertisments