Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Windows 98SE burner software

Windows 98SE burner software

TJ

I use a dual-boot setup with Mandriva 2007 Linux and Windows 98SE. Linux
performs most of what I need a computer very well indeed, but there are
still a couple of programs that I need Windows for. I just purchased an
OEM-packaged DVD burner, an LG GSA-H54N from NewEgg. It seems like a
great little burner, and Linux accepted it and used it without
additional software.

Windows was a different story. My old burner software, Nero 5.5, worked
fine with my CD burner, but won't recognize the new burner. I'm not
surprised, since it's several years old after all. I see from the Ahead
Nero site that the latest version of Nero requires Windows 2000 and
above - and I have no desire to get a different version of Windows.

I probably won't do much burning with the new burner in Windows, but I'd
like it to be able to function, at least. I'm looking for burning
software that will work with my new drive on Windows 98SE. It would be
nice if it was free, but a used, older version of Nero or Roxio would be
OK. So, I guess I'm asking two questions:

1. What free burner software is available that still supports Windows
98SE and will support the LG GSA N54N?

2. What are the highest versions of Nero and Roxio that will work with
Windows 98 SE?

Please, please, no discussions on Windows vs. Linux. That's not what
this is about, and I don't want to start some flame war. If I wanted to
do that, I'd have put this post on a Windows group.

Thanks in advance,

TJ

sandy58

On Aug 13, 2:06 pm, TJ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I use a dual-boot setup with Mandriva 2007 Linux and Windows 98SE. Linux
> performs most of what I need a computer very well indeed, but there are
> still a couple of programs that I need Windows for. I just purchased an
> OEM-packaged DVD burner, an LG GSA-H54N from NewEgg. It seems like a
> great little burner, and Linux accepted it and used it without
> additional software.
>
> Windows was a different story. My old burner software, Nero 5.5, worked
> fine with my CD burner, but won't recognize the new burner. I'm not
> surprised, since it's several years old after all. I see from the Ahead
> Nero site that the latest version of Nero requires Windows 2000 and
> above - and I have no desire to get a different version of Windows.
>
> I probably won't do much burning with the new burner in Windows, but I'd
> like it to be able to function, at least. I'm looking for burning
> software that will work with my new drive on Windows 98SE. It would be
> nice if it was free, but a used, older version of Nero or Roxio would be
> OK. So, I guess I'm asking two questions:
>
> 1. What free burner software is available that still supports Windows
> 98SE and will support the LG GSA N54N?
>
> 2. What are the highest versions of Nero and Roxio that will work with
> Windows 98 SE?
>
> Please, please, no discussions on Windows vs. Linux. That's not what
> this is about, and I don't want to start some flame war. If I wanted to
> do that, I'd have put this post on a Windows group.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> TJ

Alcohol120%
RecordNow
Ashampoo Burning Studio
BlindWrite
DVD-Cloner & many more.

gerry

On Aug 13, 9:06 am, TJ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I use a dual-boot setup with Mandriva 2007 Linux and Windows 98SE. Linux
> performs most of what I need a computer very well indeed, but there are
> still a couple of programs that I need Windows for. I just purchased an
> OEM-packaged DVD burner, an LG GSA-H54N from NewEgg. It seems like a
> great little burner, and Linux accepted it and used it without
> additional software.
>
> Windows was a different story. My old burner software, Nero 5.5, worked
> fine with my CD burner, but won't recognize the new burner. I'm not
> surprised, since it's several years old after all. I see from the Ahead
> Nero site that the latest version of Nero requires Windows 2000 and
> above - and I have no desire to get a different version of Windows.
>
> I probably won't do much burning with the new burner in Windows, but I'd
> like it to be able to function, at least. I'm looking for burning
> software that will work with my new drive on Windows 98SE. It would be
> nice if it was free, but a used, older version of Nero or Roxio would be
> OK. So, I guess I'm asking two questions:
>
> 1. What free burner software is available that still supports Windows
> 98SE and will support the LG GSA N54N?
>
> 2. What are the highest versions of Nero and Roxio that will work with
> Windows 98 SE?
>
> Please, please, no discussions on Windows vs. Linux. That's not what
> this is about, and I don't want to start some flame war. If I wanted to
> do that, I'd have put this post on a Windows group.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> TJ

Nero OEM 6.3.1.11, the version that came bundled with my Lite-On DVD
burner. Newer Nero versions cannot work with DVDShrink, an
intentional programming change by Ahead software.

Oldus Fartus

gerry wrote:

> Nero OEM 6.3.1.11, the version that came bundled with my Lite-On DVD
> burner. Newer Nero versions cannot work with DVDShrink, an
> intentional programming change by Ahead software.

What version would that be? I run 7.8.3.0 and it works fine with DVD
Shrink.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

TJ

gerry wrote:
> On Aug 13, 9:06 am, TJ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I use a dual-boot setup with Mandriva 2007 Linux and Windows 98SE. Linux
>> performs most of what I need a computer very well indeed, but there are
>> still a couple of programs that I need Windows for. I just purchased an
>> OEM-packaged DVD burner, an LG GSA-H54N from NewEgg. It seems like a
>> great little burner, and Linux accepted it and used it without
>> additional software.
>>
>> Windows was a different story. My old burner software, Nero 5.5, worked
>> fine with my CD burner, but won't recognize the new burner. I'm not
>> surprised, since it's several years old after all. I see from the Ahead
>> Nero site that the latest version of Nero requires Windows 2000 and
>> above - and I have no desire to get a different version of Windows.
>>
>> I probably won't do much burning with the new burner in Windows, but I'd
>> like it to be able to function, at least. I'm looking for burning
>> software that will work with my new drive on Windows 98SE. It would be
>> nice if it was free, but a used, older version of Nero or Roxio would be
>> OK. So, I guess I'm asking two questions:
>>
>> 1. What free burner software is available that still supports Windows
>> 98SE and will support the LG GSA N54N?
>>
>> 2. What are the highest versions of Nero and Roxio that will work with
>> Windows 98 SE?
>>
>> Please, please, no discussions on Windows vs. Linux. That's not what
>> this is about, and I don't want to start some flame war. If I wanted to
>> do that, I'd have put this post on a Windows group.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> TJ
>>
>> --

> Nero OEM 6.3.1.11, the version that came bundled with my Lite-On DVD
> burner. Newer Nero versions cannot work with DVDShrink, an
> intentional programming change by Ahead software.

Nero 7 Ultra Edition is #1 on the list of "Top 5 DVD and Video-Editing
Programs" in the latest issue of Computer Shopper. The magazine says it
works with Windows 98, ME, 2000,XP, or Vista. Yet the Nero website says
only editions 2000 and above are supported. Must be just the latest
version that is that way. Probably, if I find the next older version on
Ebay or somewhere, it will work for me.

The change doesn't surprise me. I've read that HP is no longer providing
98 and ME drivers for their products, and a look at the HP website
confirms this. Speculation on comp.periphs.printers is that there was
pressure from Microsoft to vendors to drop support for the older
operating systems when Microsoft did - or else there would be licensing
problems in the future. HP caved, and it looks like Ahead Nero did as well.

TJ

gerry

On Aug 15, 4:35 am, Oldus Fartus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> gerry wrote:
>
> > Nero OEM 6.3.1.11, the version that came bundled with my Lite-On DVD
> > burner. Newer Nero versions cannot work with DVDShrink, an
> > intentional programming change by Ahead software.

> What version would that be? I run 7.8.3.0 and it works fine with DVD
> Shrink.
>
> --
> Cheers
> Oldus Fartus

"What version would that be? I run 7.8.3.0 and it works fine with
DVD
Shrink."

Nero 6.3. When I upgraded to 6.6, I had all sorts of problems with
DVDShrink. I was not alone at the time, about 18 months ago, when
there other postings about newer Nero software not working with
DVDShrink. From what you state, the problem no longer exists in the
most recent versions of Nero.

nick

gerry wrote:
> On Aug 15, 4:35 am, Oldus Fartus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> gerry wrote:
>>
>>> Nero OEM 6.3.1.11, the version that came bundled with my Lite-On DVD
>>> burner. Newer Nero versions cannot work with DVDShrink,

my nero 6.6.0.13 works fine with dvdshrink.

gerry

On Aug 15, 4:01 pm, nick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> gerry wrote:

> my nero 6.6.0.13 works fine with dvdshrink.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=176754

The above link discusses the problem someone had with Nero 6, and that
Nero rectified the problem after Nero 7. My personal experience was
that free Nero 6.6 upgrade I installed did not work with DVDShrink, so
I went back to Nero 6.3.