Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Repair or scrap?

Repair or scrap?

lemel_man

I've got a Nikon Coolpix 5700. I took it out yesterday and the screen is
blank, just as if I'd left the lens-cap on. It will display pictures
already on the card, and the menu system works fine, both on the
electronic viewfinder and the screen, but no image at all.
There was no indication of a problem when I last used it, and to the
best of my knowledge it hasn't been physically abused, so.
Is it scrap or worth repairing?
--
Regards, Gary Wooding

Jim

"lemel_man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46c16ecc$0$16392$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> I've got a Nikon Coolpix 5700. I took it out yesterday and the screen is
> blank, just as if I'd left the lens-cap on. It will display pictures
> already on the card, and the menu system works fine, both on the
> electronic viewfinder and the screen, but no image at all.
> There was no indication of a problem when I last used it, and to the best
> of my knowledge it hasn't been physically abused, so.
> Is it scrap or worth repairing?
> --
> Regards, Gary Wooding
> (To reply by email, change feet to foot in my address)

Impossible to answer without knowing what, if anything, is wrong with the
camera.
However, it isn't a good idea to spend more on repairs than a new camera
will cost.
Jim

Zen Diver

lemel_man wrote:
> I've got a Nikon Coolpix 5700. I took it out yesterday and the screen is
> blank, just as if I'd left the lens-cap on. It will display pictures
> already on the card, and the menu system works fine, both on the
> electronic viewfinder and the screen, but no image at all.
> There was no indication of a problem when I last used it, and to the
> best of my knowledge it hasn't been physically abused, so.
> Is it scrap or worth repairing?

May I refer you to this thread which I believe may be of some interest
to you. The gist is that the problem with your camera may be a known
problem which Nikon is offering to repair free of charge. Have a look
at the thread for the meatier detail

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec...7fab46e0b5dbe/

jon

Ockham's Razor

In article <sHkwi.33250$(E-Mail Removed) >,
"Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "lemel_man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:46c16ecc$0$16392$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > I've got a Nikon Coolpix 5700. I took it out yesterday and the screen is
> > blank, just as if I'd left the lens-cap on. It will display pictures
> > already on the card, and the menu system works fine, both on the
> > electronic viewfinder and the screen, but no image at all.
> > There was no indication of a problem when I last used it, and to the best
> > of my knowledge it hasn't been physically abused, so.
> > Is it scrap or worth repairing?
> > --
> > Regards, Gary Wooding
> > (To reply by email, change feet to foot in my address)
> >
> > --
> >

> Impossible to answer without knowing what, if anything, is wrong with the
> camera.
> However, it isn't a good idea to spend more on repairs than a new camera
> will cost.
> Jim

It isn't a good idea to spend one fourth of the cost of replacement for
a repair.

carrying a cross."
Sinclair Lewis

lemel_man

Zen Diver wrote:
> lemel_man wrote:
>> I've got a Nikon Coolpix 5700. I took it out yesterday and the screen
>> is blank, just as if I'd left the lens-cap on. It will display
>> pictures already on the card, and the menu system works fine, both on
>> the electronic viewfinder and the screen, but no image at all.
>> There was no indication of a problem when I last used it, and to the
>> best of my knowledge it hasn't been physically abused, so.
>> Is it scrap or worth repairing?

> May I refer you to this thread which I believe may be of some interest
> to you. The gist is that the problem with your camera may be a known
> problem which Nikon is offering to repair free of charge. Have a look
> at the thread for the meatier detail
>
> http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec...7fab46e0b5dbe/
>

> jon

Thanks Jon,
Your suggestion appears to be spot on. According to Nikon's website the
recall is still in operation so I have sent it off to them. I wouldn't
have occurred to me to check if you hadn't responded, so thanks again.
I'll post the result when its resolved one way or another.

--
Regards, Gary Wooding