Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Blue Screen

Blue Screen

Joshuall

We have a Dell Dimension running Windows XP Pro. A week ago or so we were
having sound problems. We wound up installing a Creative Media Source Sound
card. Sound is now working great.

If I leave the computer on over night we are occasionally finding a blue
screen in the morning that says problem detected, windows has been shut down
to prevent damage to your computer. The error message we are getting is way
beyond us, but it says :

Stop: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005,0xFIE91742,0xEFC7AB54,0x0000000000
Emupia2k.sys Adress FIE91742base@FIE84009 Datestamp43659d9.

There is no hypertext like is represented above though. Not sure why it did
that when I typed that. In any event, we don't know what to do and whether
or not this is related to the new sound card we installed. We'd not had this
problem before.

As usual thanks for any help.

Judy

Meat Plow

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 10:06:50 -0500, Joshuall wrote:

> We have a Dell Dimension running Windows XP Pro. A week ago or so we were
> having sound problems. We wound up installing a Creative Media Source Sound
> card. Sound is now working great.
>
> If I leave the computer on over night we are occasionally finding a blue
> screen in the morning that says problem detected, windows has been shut down
> to prevent damage to your computer. The error message we are getting is way
> beyond us, but it says :
>
> Stop: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005,0xFIE91742,0xEFC7AB54,0x0000000000
> Emupia2k.sys Adress FIE91742base@FIE84009 Datestamp43659d9.
>
> There is no hypertext like is represented above though. Not sure why it did
> that when I typed that. In any event, we don't know what to do and whether
> or not this is related to the new sound card we installed. We'd not had this
> problem before.
>
> As usual thanks for any help.
>
> Judy

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310740

Meat Plow

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 11:24:33 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 10:06:50 -0500, Joshuall wrote:
>
>> We have a Dell Dimension running Windows XP Pro. A week ago or so we were
>> having sound problems. We wound up installing a Creative Media Source Sound
>> card. Sound is now working great.
>>
>> If I leave the computer on over night we are occasionally finding a blue
>> screen in the morning that says problem detected, windows has been shut down
>> to prevent damage to your computer. The error message we are getting is way
>> beyond us, but it says :
>>
>> Stop: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005,0xFIE91742,0xEFC7AB54,0x0000000000
>> Emupia2k.sys Adress FIE91742base@FIE84009 Datestamp43659d9.
>>
>> There is no hypertext like is represented above though. Not sure why it did
>> that when I typed that. In any event, we don't know what to do and whether
>> or not this is related to the new sound card we installed. We'd not had this
>> problem before.
>>
>> As usual thanks for any help.
>>
>> Judy

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310740

Oooops, this is for Winderz 2K not XP.

Go to google.com and search on "Emupia2k.sys"
There were some hits for XP and Dell.

Whiskers

On 2007-08-14, Joshuall <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> We have a Dell Dimension running Windows XP Pro. A week ago or so we were
> having sound problems. We wound up installing a Creative Media Source Sound
> card. Sound is now working great.
>
> If I leave the computer on over night we are occasionally finding a blue
> screen in the morning that says problem detected, windows has been shut down
> to prevent damage to your computer. The error message we are getting is way
> beyond us, but it says :
>
> Stop: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005,0xFIE91742,0xEFC7AB54,0x0000000000
> Emupia2k.sys Adress FIE91742base@FIE84009 Datestamp43659d9.
>
> There is no hypertext like is represented above though. Not sure why it did
> that when I typed that.

<what hypertext?> Oh, there's an @ in there and you're using Outlook
Express which probably got fooled into highlighting part of that line
thinking it might be an email address or something. That's what you get
with Microsoft - lots of bad guesswork going on.

> In any event, we don't know what to do and whether
> or not this is related to the new sound card we installed. We'd not had this
> problem before.
>
> As usual thanks for any help.
>
> Judy

Perhaps the problem you were having a week or so ago wasn't actually
"sound" at all, but something else entirely, and fitting new hardware
masked the real problem for a while, but now the real problem is getting
worse.

Stop guessing; get a hardware person to look at your machine. (You have
got everything safely backed up, haven't you?).

Presumably you have found <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310740> and
decided that that doesn't apply to you ...

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Meat Plow wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 11:24:33 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 10:06:50 -0500, Joshuall wrote:
>>
>>> We have a Dell Dimension running Windows XP Pro. A week ago or so we
>>> were having sound problems. We wound up installing a Creative Media
>>> Source Sound card. Sound is now working great.
>>>
>>> If I leave the computer on over night we are occasionally finding a
>>> blue screen in the morning that says problem detected, windows has
>>> been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. The error
>>> message we are getting is way beyond us, but it says :
>>>
>>> Stop: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005,0xFIE91742,0xEFC7AB54,0x0000000000
>>> Emupia2k.sys Adress FIE91742base@FIE84009 Datestamp43659d9.

>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310740

> Oooops, this is for Winderz 2K not XP.
>
> Go to google.com and search on "Emupia2k.sys"
> There were some hits for XP and Dell.

The Microsoft KB appears to be for XP as well.

SYMPTOMS
On a computer that has a Creative Technology Audigy sound card
installed, you may receive the following error message on a blue screen
after you upgrade the computer from Microsoft Windows 2000 to Windows
XP:

(and)

APPLIES TO
ĦE Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
ĦE Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition

--
-bts

Meat Plow

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 15:41:09 +0000, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> Meat Plow wrote:

>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310740

>> Oooops, this is for Winderz 2K not XP.
>>
>> Go to google.com and search on "Emupia2k.sys"
>> There were some hits for XP and Dell.

> The Microsoft KB appears to be for XP as well.
>
> SYMPTOMS
> On a computer that has a Creative Technology Audigy sound card
> installed, you may receive the following error message on a blue screen
> after you upgrade the computer from Microsoft Windows 2000 to Windows
> XP:
>
> (and)
>
> APPLIES TO
> Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
> Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition

Well good then, my reply wasn't totally worthless

why?

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 10:06:50 -0500, Joshuall wrote:

>We have a Dell Dimension running Windows XP Pro. A week ago or so we were
>having sound problems. We wound up installing a Creative Media Source Sound
>card. Sound is now working great.
>
>If I leave the computer on over night we are occasionally finding a blue
>screen in the morning that says problem detected, windows has been shut down
>to prevent damage to your computer. The error message we are getting is way
>beyond us, but it says :
>
>Stop: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005,0xFIE91742,0xEFC7AB54,0x0000000000

Did you miss the line of TEXT IN CAPS , which is part of the error
message?

>Emupia2k.sys Adress FIE91742base@FIE84009 Datestamp43659d9.
>
>There is no hypertext like is represented above though. Not sure why it did

Not hypertext it's a memory address.

>that when I typed that. In any event, we don't know what to do and whether
>or not this is related to the new sound card we installed. We'd not had this

Remove the card (easy) and drivers (hopefully an uninstall removes all
the bits ).

>problem before.

Check the event log, if the entries for the error only happen after the
time you installed the sound card it's a clue.

>As usual thanks for any help.

www.google.com

X-FI Extreme Music Stop error 0x1000008E emupia2k.sys UPDATE ...
Re: X-FI Extreme Music Stop error 0x0000008E emupia2k.sys. ciminerav
Visitor. Just a quick correction the stop error is actually 0x0000008e
not 0x1000008e. ...
http://forums.creative.com/.../board...=1&format=page

URL above trashed by Google preview, try
http://forums.creative.com/

- 16k - Cached - Similar pages
[ More results from forums.creative.com ]
intermittent STOP 0x0000008E error [DUMP DATA] -

>Judy

www.google.com
Results 1 - 10 of about 34 English pages for
Stop: 0x0000008E Emupia2k.sys creative
.. (0.24 seconds)

Try checking some of those results, 34 is a nice small number instead of
the 1000's of matches that usually happens.

Me

why?

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 11:59:58 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 15:41:09 +0000, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>
>> Meat Plow wrote:

<snip>

>>> Oooops, this is for Winderz 2K not XP.
>>>
>>> Go to google.com and search on "Emupia2k.sys"
>>> There were some hits for XP and Dell.

>> The Microsoft KB appears to be for XP as well.

<snip>

>> APPLIES TO
>> Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
>> Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition

>Well good then, my reply wasn't totally worthless

Usually the articles still apply, same driver name / error message. It's
not a too difficult leap to see 2000/XP are a lot alike. Sometimes there
is even a link in the article to the version for the other OS.

Me

Meat Plow

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 16:08:52 +0000, why? wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 11:59:58 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

> <snip>

>>> The Microsoft KB appears to be for XP as well.

> <snip>
>
>>> APPLIES TO
>>> Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
>>> Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition

>>Well good then, my reply wasn't totally worthless

> Usually the articles still apply, same driver name / error message. It's
> not a too difficult leap to see 2000/XP are a lot alike. Sometimes there
> is even a link in the article to the version for the other OS.

Yeh I've seen this many times and I shudda went back to the MS KB and read
where it did apply to XP.

ded

"Joshuall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> We have a Dell Dimension running Windows XP Pro. A week ago or so we were
> having sound problems. We wound up installing a Creative Media Source
> Sound card. Sound is now working great.
>
> If I leave the computer on over night we are occasionally finding a blue
> screen in the morning that says problem detected, windows has been shut
> down to prevent damage to your computer. The error message we are getting
> is way beyond us, but it says :
>
> Stop: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005,0xFIE91742,0xEFC7AB54,0x0000000000
> Emupia2k.sys Adress FIE91742base@FIE84009 Datestamp43659d9.
>
> There is no hypertext like is represented above though. Not sure why it
> did that when I typed that. In any event, we don't know what to do and
> whether or not this is related to the new sound card we installed. We'd
> not had this problem before.
>
> As usual thanks for any help.
>
> Judy

As you can see from the other replies and links to the KB, it's probably
just an issue that the drivers supplied with the soundcard were buggy.
The KB article clearly lays responsibilty with Creative and they have
indeed made available updated drivers to correct the situation.

This is Creatives download site. Identify your exact soundcard model
and download and *save* to a folder the latest drivers/software.
http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/

Follow these instructions to UNinstall the current Creative drivers etc.
http://tinyurl.com/35lckp

Reboot

Upon reboot the "found new hardware" wizard will detect your soundcard,
You have the instructions for installing your card, the only difference now
is that you *Deselect* the option:"Automatically find drivers (Recommended)"
and select: "I will manually select drivers", Then Click "Next" button
Click "Browse" button, Locate the downloaded folder
This will install the updated drivers