Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Need help to Play dvd in Windows Vista

Need help to Play dvd in Windows Vista

vid

Hi All need help to find out how to play a dvd burned or original in
windows vista home premium. I opened the media centre and although i
shows the title of the dvd, when I click on play nothing happens. This
system has the codecs installed to play the dvd's so is it because of
the burning program I used? convert x to dvd??? thanks for your help

WhzzKdd

"vid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Hi All need help to find out how to play a dvd burned or original in
> windows vista home premium. I opened the media centre and although i
> shows the title of the dvd, when I click on play nothing happens. This
> system has the codecs installed to play the dvd's so is it because of
> the burning program I used? convert x to dvd??? thanks for your help

Does your DVD play in any other device?

vid

On Aug 14, 11:43 am, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
> "vid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>
> > Hi All need help to find out how to play a dvd burned or original in
> > windows vista home premium. I opened the media centre and although i
> > shows the title of the dvd, when I click on play nothing happens. This
> > system has the codecs installed to play the dvd's so is it because of
> > the burning program I used? convert x to dvd??? thanks for your help

> Does your DVD play in any other device?

yes it does play on all the dvd players in the house

WhzzKdd

"vid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Aug 14, 11:43 am, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
>> "vid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>>
>> > Hi All need help to find out how to play a dvd burned or original in
>> > windows vista home premium. I opened the media centre and although i
>> > shows the title of the dvd, when I click on play nothing happens. This
>> > system has the codecs installed to play the dvd's so is it because of
>> > the burning program I used? convert x to dvd??? thanks for your help

>> Does your DVD play in any other device?

> yes it does play on all the dvd players in the house

Try installing VLC Media Player - see if that works:
http://www.videolan.org/

ded

"vid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Hi All need help to find out how to play a dvd burned or original in
> windows vista home premium. I opened the media centre and although i
> shows the title of the dvd, when I click on play nothing happens. This
> system has the codecs installed to play the dvd's so is it because of
> the burning program I used? convert x to dvd??? thanks for your help

It is specifically a DVD decoder required for playback, such as winDVD
or PowerDVD etc. (A decoder enables media players to play DVD's)
Is it just one specific DVD or are you unable to play any DVD's?
You typed that you opened media centre (You're a Brit) and that
it "shows title of the dvd" - what shows the title, a folder view?
The library listing? Or "Now playing"? What?
You obliquely mention "burned or original" then you mention a
burning program that you call: "convert x to dvd???"
I've never heard of it and can't be bothered to google it.

pcbutts1

Vista has built-in software called "Media Center" used to play DVD, CD's,
TV's just about all media types no 3rd party codec's needed.

"ded" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:f9tk43$k2i$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "vid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>> Hi All need help to find out how to play a dvd burned or original in
>> windows vista home premium. I opened the media centre and although i
>> shows the title of the dvd, when I click on play nothing happens. This
>> system has the codecs installed to play the dvd's so is it because of
>> the burning program I used? convert x to dvd??? thanks for your help
>>

> It is specifically a DVD decoder required for playback, such as winDVD
> or PowerDVD etc. (A decoder enables media players to play DVD's)
> Is it just one specific DVD or are you unable to play any DVD's?
> You typed that you opened media centre (You're a Brit) and that
> it "shows title of the dvd" - what shows the title, a folder view?
> The library listing? Or "Now playing"? What?
> You obliquely mention "burned or original" then you mention a
> burning program that you call: "convert x to dvd???"
> I've never heard of it and can't be bothered to google it.

pcbutts1

Try playing it with Media Player instead. Media Center is crappy sometimes.

"vid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Aug 14, 11:43 am, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
>> "vid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>>
>> > Hi All need help to find out how to play a dvd burned or original in
>> > windows vista home premium. I opened the media centre and although i
>> > shows the title of the dvd, when I click on play nothing happens. This
>> > system has the codecs installed to play the dvd's so is it because of
>> > the burning program I used? convert x to dvd??? thanks for your help

>> Does your DVD play in any other device?

> yes it does play on all the dvd players in the house

OrCiscoNovice OrCiscoNovice is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid
Hi All need help to find out how to play a dvd burned or original in
windows vista home premium. I opened the media centre and although i
shows the title of the dvd, when I click on play nothing happens. This
system has the codecs installed to play the dvd's so is it because of
the burning program I used? convert x to dvd??? thanks for your help

Browse to the DVD. Does it have any .vox files or .avi files? If it plays on other dvd players I would assume it has .vox. What happens when you double click on the first .vox file? If it does not play, the file association may not be established in Windows to the player you want to use. If it does play, is it playing in the correct player that you want to use? If not, change the association to the correct player.

Do other DVDs play in the drive you are using?

Try reinstalling the DVD player software if it is not Media Player.

vid

On Aug 14, 6:15 pm, "ded" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "vid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>
> > Hi All need help to find out how to play a dvd burned or original in
> > windows vista home premium. I opened the media centre and although i
> > shows the title of the dvd, when I click on play nothing happens. This
> > system has the codecs installed to play the dvd's so is it because of
> > the burning program I used? convert x to dvd??? thanks for your help

> It is specifically a DVD decoder required for playback, such as winDVD
> or PowerDVD etc. (A decoder enables media players to play DVD's)
> Is it just one specific DVD or are you unable to play any DVD's?
> You typed that you opened media centre (You're a Brit) and that
> it "shows title of the dvd" - what shows the title, a folder view?
> The library listing? Or "Now playing"? What?
> You obliquely mention "burned or original" then you mention a
> burning program that you call: "convert x to dvd???"
> I've never heard of it and can't be bothered to google it.

as thee next poster replied vista has the codecs inside..when I opened
media centre it showed the title tracks of the dvd that I burned
however it would not play. As for the next statement...the file was a
rvmb so it had to be converted to play anywhere that's when the
"convertx to dvd came into the picture. Neither Media Centre or Media
Player had any sound at all... so still at a loss... thanks for your
reply just the same..

vid

On Aug 14, 6:48 pm, "pcbutts1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Vista has built-in software called "Media Center" used to play DVD, CD's,
> TV's just about all media types no 3rd party codec's needed.
>
> --
>
> Newsgroup Trolls. Read about mine herehttp://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads
> The list grows. Leythos the stalkerhttp://www.leythosthestalker.com, David
> H. Lipman, Max M Wachtell III aka What's in a Name?, Fitz,
> Rhonda Lea Kirk, Meat Plow, F Kwatu F, George Orwell
>
> "ded" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:f9tk43$k2i$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > "vid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> >> Hi All need help to find out how to play a dvd burned or original in
> >> windows vista home premium. I opened the media centre and although i
> >> shows the title of the dvd, when I click on play nothing happens. This
> >> system has the codecs installed to play the dvd's so is it because of
> >> the burning program I used? convert x to dvd??? thanks for your help

> > It is specifically a DVD decoder required for playback, such as winDVD
> > or PowerDVD etc. (A decoder enables media players to play DVD's)
> > Is it just one specific DVD or are you unable to play any DVD's?
> > You typed that you opened media centre (You're a Brit) and that
> > it "shows title of the dvd" - what shows the title, a folder view?
> > The library listing? Or "Now playing"? What?
> > You obliquely mention "burned or original" then you mention a
> > burning program that you call: "convert x to dvd???"
> > I've never heard of it and can't be bothered to google it.

Thanks for your replies... thought it might be the speakers .. so I
connected the brand new ones that came with the computer (it is less
than 3 wks old) opened both media centre and player and tried to play
the sample music that was already there. .. still nothing. any more
suggestions??? Greatly appreciate everyone's help...Thanks again Vid