Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > No point in learning C? Use C++ instead?

No point in learning C? Use C++ instead?

SM Ryan

# >In a recent programming class I was taking, another student went on and
# >on about how C was a dead language.

For your own projects, choose whatever language you want to.
For other peoples's projects, use whatever language they tell you to.

--
SM Ryan http://www.rawbw.com/~wyrmwif/
We found a loophole; they can't keep us out anymore.

Pierre Asselin

-Lost <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In a recent programming class I was taking, another student went on and
> on about how C was a dead language. [ ... ]

Have a look (both of you) at the C++ faq, this one in particular:
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lit...e.html#faq-6.5

--
pa at panix dot com

CBFalconer

Pierre Asselin wrote:
> -Lost <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In a recent programming class I was taking, another student went
>> on and on about how C was a dead language. [ ... ]

> Have a look (both of you) at the C++ faq, this one in particular:
> http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lit...e.html#faq-6.5

If you examine the name of this newsgroup with extreme care, I
suspect you will detect the absence of "++" in its name. That is
another language.

<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

Keith Thompson

CBFalconer <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Pierre Asselin wrote:
>> -Lost <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> In a recent programming class I was taking, another student went
>>> on and on about how C was a dead language. [ ... ]

>> Have a look (both of you) at the C++ faq, this one in particular:
>> http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lit...e.html#faq-6.5

> If you examine the name of this newsgroup with extreme care, I
> suspect you will detect the absence of "++" in its name. That is
> another language.

Yes, but that particular section of the C++ FAQ happens to be relevant
to the question:
| Stop. This question generates much much more heat than light. Please
| read the following before posting some variant of this question.
[...]

-Lost

Having received such a large and healthy sampling from a lot of experienced
programmers, I figured it might be easiest to post a response as a whole,
as I have nothing specific to say to anyone aside from, "Thanks!"

The thread I refer to can be viewed in its entirety here:

Message-IDs precede my thanks to the authors.

To Mr. Heathfield and Mr. Klein, thank you *very* much for the detailed
amount of information you put into your posts. It was very clear and
informative.

To Ravishankar, Mr. Sosman, and Mr. McIntyre thank you for your real-world
analogies. They have helped me to understand the scenario a bit better.

To Mr. Asselin, thank you for providing that relevant link. Despite it
possibly being off-topic, I found it extremely beneficial.

To the regulars, if this was a wholly inappropriate method of responding,
please let me know and I'll note it for the future. I just thought it kind
of senseless to post 6 separate entries of gratitude, with the majority of
the text snipped, when I could condense it quite nicely with references to
all posts should anyone feel the need to follow along in the future.

Thanks again to everyone who replied. I truly appreciate it.

--
-Lost
Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. Don't e-mail me. I am kidding.

Richard Heathfield

-Lost said:

<snip>

> To the regulars, if this was a wholly inappropriate method of
> responding,
> please let me know and I'll note it for the future.

No, that was well done.

> I just thought it
> kind of senseless to post 6 separate entries of gratitude,

Indeed. One generic "ta" was much more sensible. Considerate posters are
always welcome in comp.lang.c.

Email: -www. +rjh@

Chris Hills

In article <Xns998C17F763D44lostthreads@216.196.97.136>, -Lost
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>In a recent programming class I was taking, another student went on and
>on about how C was a dead language.
>
>Anyway, my question is this: Is C dead?
>
>Just so that my intent for an answer is clear, should a new programmer
>focus on C++ instead of C? If they were given the opportunity to attend
>a *good* programming class for a whole year or so, which should they
>choose?

It depends.

For most real-tile, embedded , device driver, operating systems and
control systems work C is probably the best option commercially as it
is the most widely used.

If you want to work on a PC write applications etc then C++ is probably
a better option however C++ has been overtaken by Java, C#, C++/CLI
and a host of others.

There is a possibility that C++ will disappear long before C does.

/\/\/ (E-Mail Removed) www.phaedsys.org \/\/\

Chris Hills

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, CBFalconer
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Pierre Asselin wrote:
>> -Lost <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> In a recent programming class I was taking, another student went
>>> on and on about how C was a dead language. [ ... ]

>> Have a look (both of you) at the C++ faq, this one in particular:
>> http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lit...e.html#faq-6.5

>If you examine the name of this newsgroup with extreme care, I
>suspect you will detect the absence of "++" in its name. That is
>another language.

Thank god we are not all like you! If the original post was posted to
the C++ group they would not discuss it either because it mentions C!

If you look at the link to a C++ FAQ I expect it will mention C as well
as C++ Just as the C one should mention C++

/\/\/ (E-Mail Removed) www.phaedsys.org \/\/\

Richard

Chris Hills <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, CBFalconer
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>Pierre Asselin wrote:

>>> Have a look (both of you) at the C++ faq, this one in particular:
>>> http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lit...e.html#faq-6.5

>>If you examine the name of this newsgroup with extreme care, I
>>suspect you will detect the absence of "++" in its name. That is
>>another language.

Did anyone ever tell you that you are an extremely irritating, boring
man? Did you not notice that he is asking about C too?

>> Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net)

> Thank god we are not all like you! If the original post was posted
> to the C++ group they would not discuss it either because it mentions
> C!

Well said.

Chris Hills wrote:
> -Lost <(E-Mail Removed)> writes

.... snip ...

>> Just so that my intent for an answer is clear, should a new
>> programmer focus on C++ instead of C? If they were given the
>> opportunity to attend a *good* programming class for a whole year
>> or so, which should they choose?

> It depends.
>
> For most real-tile, embedded , device driver, operating systems
> and control systems work C is probably the best option
> commercially as it is the most widely used.
>
> If you want to work on a PC write applications etc then C++ is
> probably a better option however C++ has been overtaken by Java,
> C#, C++/CLI and a host of others.
>
> There is a possibility that C++ will disappear long before C does.

The millenium has arrived. We agree on something.

<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>