Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > System clock will not stay current...

System clock will not stay current...

Soul Bandit

I have a problem with my main system, the system clock is running an
hour behind and if I try and manually adjust the time, it will reset
to it's previous time and remain an hour behind. I have tried to sync
it with Atomic Clock or the time servers and it will not sync with any
of the time servers, and I can not figure why.

I am running Windows Firewall and have it setup (as far as I know) to
allow my system to

Please, some one give me some ideas where I'm not looking or what I'm
missing...

miki

"Soul Bandit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I have a problem with my main system, the system clock is running an
> hour behind and if I try and manually adjust the time, it will reset
> to it's previous time and remain an hour behind. I have tried to sync
> it with Atomic Clock or the time servers and it will not sync with any
> of the time servers, and I can not figure why.
>
> I am running Windows Firewall and have it setup (as far as I know) to
> allow my system to
>
> Please, some one give me some ideas where I'm not looking or what I'm
> missing...

Are you set to the correct TIME ZONE and are you set to
DAYLIGHT SAVING ? miki.

Soul Bandit

On Aug 13, 10:58 pm, "miki" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Soul Bandit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...> I have a problem with my main system, the system clock is running an
> > hour behind and if I try and manually adjust the time, it will reset
> > to it's previous time and remain an hour behind. I have tried to sync
> > it with Atomic Clock or the time servers and it will not sync with any
> > of the time servers, and I can not figure why.

> > I am running Windows Firewall and have it setup (as far as I know) to
> > allow my system to

> > Please, some one give me some ideas where I'm not looking or what I'm
> > missing...

> Are you set to the correct TIME ZONE and are you set to
> DAYLIGHT SAVING ? miki.

Yes, they are both set to current Daylight savings time, (the check
box is selected) and we are in Austin Tx which is Central. Even if I
try ahd set it to an earlier time zone to confuse it to and hour later
time, it will reset back to the correct time zone and remail an hour
behind. What is controlling the time , is it the bios chip? Or is it
something to do with the CMOS being a bit weak allowing the CMOS to
run a bit slower?

tony sayer

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, Soul
Bandit <(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus
>On Aug 13, 10:58 pm, "miki" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Soul Bandit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...> I have a

>problem with my main system, the system clock is running an
>> > hour behind and if I try and manually adjust the time, it will reset
>> > to it's previous time and remain an hour behind. I have tried to sync
>> > it with Atomic Clock or the time servers and it will not sync with any
>> > of the time servers, and I can not figure why.

>> > I am running Windows Firewall and have it setup (as far as I know) to
>> > allow my system to

>> > Please, some one give me some ideas where I'm not looking or what I'm
>> > missing...

>> Are you set to the correct TIME ZONE and are you set to
>> DAYLIGHT SAVING ? miki.

>Yes, they are both set to current Daylight savings time, (the check
>box is selected) and we are in Austin Tx which is Central. Even if I
>try ahd set it to an earlier time zone to confuse it to and hour later
>time, it will reset back to the correct time zone and remail an hour
>behind. What is controlling the time , is it the bios chip? Or is it
>something to do with the CMOS being a bit weak allowing the CMOS to
>run a bit slower?

Might be worthwhile just changing the battery.. could be doing odd
things they don't last for ever!..
--
Tony Sayer

sandy58

On Aug 14, 11:24 am, Soul Bandit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Aug 13, 10:58 pm, "miki" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > "Soul Bandit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...> I have a problem with my main system, the system clock is running an
> > > hour behind and if I try and manually adjust the time, it will reset
> > > to it's previous time and remain an hour behind. I have tried to sync
> > > it with Atomic Clock or the time servers and it will not sync with any
> > > of the time servers, and I can not figure why.

> > > I am running Windows Firewall and have it setup (as far as I know) to
> > > allow my system to

> > > Please, some one give me some ideas where I'm not looking or what I'm
> > > missing...

> > Are you set to the correct TIME ZONE and are you set to
> > DAYLIGHT SAVING ? miki.

> Yes, they are both set to current Daylight savings time, (the check
> box is selected) and we are in Austin Tx which is Central. Even if I
> try ahd set it to an earlier time zone to confuse it to and hour later
> time, it will reset back to the correct time zone and remail an hour
> behind. What is controlling the time , is it the bios chip? Or is it
> something to do with the CMOS being a bit weak allowing the CMOS to
> run a bit slower?

New CMOS battery.

Paul

sandy58 wrote:
> On Aug 14, 11:24 am, Soul Bandit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Aug 13, 10:58 pm, "miki" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> "Soul Bandit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...> I have a problem with my main system, the system clock is running an
>>> Are you set to the correct TIME ZONE and are you set to
>>> DAYLIGHT SAVING ? miki.

>> Yes, they are both set to current Daylight savings time, (the check
>> box is selected) and we are in Austin Tx which is Central. Even if I
>> try ahd set it to an earlier time zone to confuse it to and hour later
>> time, it will reset back to the correct time zone and remail an hour
>> behind. What is controlling the time , is it the bios chip? Or is it
>> something to do with the CMOS being a bit weak allowing the CMOS to
>> run a bit slower?

> New CMOS battery.

When the time is off by hours, and the error is always the same amount,
it is a Time Zone problem. Example here:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/foru...XP-Time-Server

Why would a weak CMOS battery only affect the hours, only have an error
of one hour. That implies it chooses to lose a "carry" only once.
If the hardware missed one pulse, then why not miss two or three or "n"
pulses ?

Paul

- Bobb -

"Soul Bandit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Aug 13, 10:58 pm, "miki" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Soul Bandit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...> I have a
>> problem with my main system, the system clock is running an
>> > hour behind and if I try and manually adjust the time, it will reset
>> > to it's previous time and remain an hour behind. I have tried to sync
>> > it with Atomic Clock or the time servers and it will not sync with
>> > any
>> > of the time servers, and I can not figure why.

>> > I am running Windows Firewall and have it setup (as far as I know) to
>> > allow my system to

>> > Please, some one give me some ideas where I'm not looking or what
>> > I'm
>> > missing...

>> Are you set to the correct TIME ZONE and are you set to
>> DAYLIGHT SAVING ? miki.

> Yes, they are both set to current Daylight savings time, (the check
> box is selected) and we are in Austin Tx which is Central. Even if I
> try ahd set it to an earlier time zone to confuse it to and hour later
> time, it will reset back to the correct time zone and remail an hour
> behind. What is controlling the time , is it the bios chip? Or is it
> something to do with the CMOS being a bit weak allowing the CMOS to
> run a bit slower?

I had issue a few months ago while using msft time clock. I tried the
alternative (time.nist.gov) and has issues. I modified the choices by
doubleclicking the time then on Internet time server name tab ,
deleting/typing over it and made my time server " time-a.nist.gov " and
checked "automatically check" and after that connection, my time clock has
been fine since. My issue was around the time that they were going to
change daylight savings time day/date this year. Others reported that
problem also ( search thru here in archives). I think that the connection
to a DIFFERENT ( non-std) windows server cleared/set SOME bit in registry
to trigger a reset and since then no issue here.

So, change your time server name to " time-a.nist.gov " and good luck.

Bobb

tony sayer

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, - Bobb -
<bobb@noemail.123> scribeth thus

>"Soul Bandit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...
>> On Aug 13, 10:58 pm, "miki" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> "Soul Bandit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...> I have a
>>> problem with my main system, the system clock is running an

>>> Are you set to the correct TIME ZONE and are you set to
>>> DAYLIGHT SAVING ? miki.

>> Yes, they are both set to current Daylight savings time, (the check
>> box is selected) and we are in Austin Tx which is Central. Even if I
>> try ahd set it to an earlier time zone to confuse it to and hour later
>> time, it will reset back to the correct time zone and remail an hour
>> behind. What is controlling the time , is it the bios chip? Or is it
>> something to do with the CMOS being a bit weak allowing the CMOS to
>> run a bit slower?
>>

>I had issue a few months ago while using msft time clock. I tried the
>alternative (time.nist.gov) and has issues. I modified the choices by
>doubleclicking the time then on Internet time server name tab ,
>deleting/typing over it and made my time server " time-a.nist.gov " and
>checked "automatically check" and after that connection, my time clock has
>been fine since. My issue was around the time that they were going to
>change daylight savings time day/date this year. Others reported that
>problem also ( search thru here in archives). I think that the connection
>to a DIFFERENT ( non-std) windows server cleared/set SOME bit in registry
>to trigger a reset and since then no issue here.
>
>So, change your time server name to " time-a.nist.gov " and good luck.
>
>Bobb

Atomic.exe is a useful freeware programme for clock setting. Works
fine

http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?1000000034325

with a choice of time servers..
--