Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Case Modding > Secret Project - Sun Keyboard Mod

View Poll Results: Keyboard Mods are Unique!
Yeah, but so is a monkey coming out of my..... 2 33.33%
Sure, I'll grant you that. 4 66.67%
Wow! Bigal is the most supreme modder ever...at least for today! 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Secret Project - Sun Keyboard Mod

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

I just couldn't call the Sun X-Terminal Mod complete without modding the keyboard that came with it. So I have begun a project that is coming together in my mind as I start cutting.
My concept is basically to spell out "Sun X-Terminal Mod" in a piece of plexiglas that is inserted where the keys were. This will be lit up with cold cathode tubes (What else from the house of Bigal Computers?) from within the keyboard.
Here are the preliminary pictures. This might turn into a keyboard "how to" guide later down the road. There is still a lot of work to do - namely all that etching. Any ideas?

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

Nobody cares?

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

i do...
just u have it already set out and were waiting for progress report... hop to it get the mod done otherwisse u will be as slow as me someday!

RObErT_RaTh RObErT_RaTh is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia Mate!

Can't wait to see it finished

XhArD XhArD is offline
Senior Member
Location: Queensland, Australia

My bro tried something like this with neon string... didnt work very well, ithe string was too thick for you to push the keys down. It looked pretty cool, but it became a show piece

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by XhArD
My bro tried something like this with neon string... didnt work very well, ithe string was too thick for you to push the keys down. It looked pretty cool, but it became a show piece
except Al is using the Keyboard case as a photo frame ... while ur at it give AMD a little bit o wire (make their Symbol too).. to hold it in place use a bit of hot glue (clear stuff).

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

Now you're talking! I didn't even think about spelling out "AMD", as I was going to spell out "Sun X-Terminal" or something like that. I want to use EL wire, as I have 3 strands in stock (all blue). I have a purple cold cathode behind the keyboard, so I'll need to cut out some areas for the light to shine out the rear. I want that purple light to shine up on the silver wall I have where the Sun X-Terminal chasis is mounted. It should look sweet.
This morning I mounted my Dremel tool into my vice, and then I carefully trimmed off the excess tabs from where I cut the plastic center part. You have to keep the Dremel tool very stable, and bring the part to the sanding disc slowly, or you'll bite into the finished edge and ruin it. I can't get another keyboard right now, so I was very careful.
By the way, check out how our day-long motorcycle ride went yesterday right here: www.bigal-computers.net/worms.php

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

Tonight, even though we have friends over and we're gaming, I elected to do a tad bit of work on the keyboard shell. *I cut out two windows for the cold cathode light to shine through, and I also cleaned up the edges of the keyboard cover. *If you remember, I needed to cut the divider sections out to make room for my sign. *The sign ideas are still open for suggestions, by the way....

Larger image: *http://www.bigal-computers.net/bigal...eyboard-02.JPG

Larger image: *http://www.bigal-computers.net/bigal...eyboard-01.JPG

XhArD XhArD is offline
Senior Member
Location: Queensland, Australia

sweeet. wont be long now...

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

your going to want a back plate.... otherwise ur el wire is going to look pretty bad with all the other lines...
but nice job so far... keep it coming