Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > What's a good brand and model DVD burner?

What's a good brand and model DVD burner?

DaveJohnson12@nomail.

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 12:58:33 +0200, "Linea Recta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><DaveJohnson12@nomail.> schreef in bericht
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

>uses,
>> >
>> >Over the past few years I have had trouble reading some discs with NEC
>> >drives and have gradually replaced them all with Lite-On, which seem
>> >to read anything.
>> >
>> >nick

>> Thanks, I'll probably go with Light On I guess or maybe an LG though I

>haven't
>> had much success with Korean (LG) products. They tend to be not as good as
>> products from Japanese companies from what I've seen.

>I have an LG multiburber in the PC and I have an LG standalone HDD/DVD
>recorder. Both of them work fine here.

Thanks. I decided on an LG. The reviews from people who bought DVD burners were
a little better than the reviews for Lite On.

Linea Recta

wrote:

> ><DaveJohnson12@nomail.> schreef in bericht
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

system
> >uses,

> >> Thanks, I'll probably go with Light On I guess or maybe an LG though I

> >haven't
> >> had much success with Korean (LG) products. They tend to be not as good

as
> >> products from Japanese companies from what I've seen.

> >I have an LG multiburber in the PC and I have an LG standalone HDD/DVD
> >recorder. Both of them work fine here.

> Thanks. I decided on an LG. The reviews from people who bought DVD burners

were
> a little better than the reviews for Lite On.

I wish you all the best with the new device. I think as a whole LG is great
value for the money.
BTW, I have done some firmware updates already (on both).

--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

def456

"Linea Recta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46d0646b$0$241$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
> <DaveJohnson12@nomail.> schreef in bericht
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 12:58:33 +0200, "Linea Recta" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> wrote:
>>
>> ><DaveJohnson12@nomail.> schreef in bericht
>> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

> system
>> >uses,

>> >haven't

> as
>> >

>> >I have an LG multiburber in the PC and I have an LG standalone HDD/DVD
>> >recorder. Both of them work fine here.

>> Thanks. I decided on an LG. The reviews from people who bought DVD
>> burners

> were
>> a little better than the reviews for Lite On.

> I wish you all the best with the new device. I think as a whole LG is
> great
> value for the money.
> BTW, I have done some firmware updates already (on both).

I have both a Lite-On and LG installed as master/slave, and haven't had any
problems ripping/burning with either... The Lite-On is faster for
ripping/verifying. LG has a better reputation for burning, but it's slower
for ripping/verifying out of the box. You can make it faster for
ripping/verifying if you want to risk a speed increase MCSE patch at
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=133858
I did it for mine and it's now about as fast as the Lite-On. I must flip a
coin to decide which one to use!?

DaveJohnson12@nomail.

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 19:18:07 +0200, "Linea Recta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><DaveJohnson12@nomail.> schreef in bericht
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 12:58:33 +0200, "Linea Recta" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>wrote:
>>
>> ><DaveJohnson12@nomail.> schreef in bericht
>> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

>system
>> >uses,

>> >haven't

>as
>> >

>> >I have an LG multiburber in the PC and I have an LG standalone HDD/DVD
>> >recorder. Both of them work fine here.

>> Thanks. I decided on an LG. The reviews from people who bought DVD burners

>were
>> a little better than the reviews for Lite On.

>I wish you all the best with the new device. I think as a whole LG is great
>value for the money.
>BTW, I have done some firmware updates already (on both).

Thank you. Why are firmware updates needed?

DaveJohnson12@nomail.

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 16:43:08 -0500, "def456" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Linea Recta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:46d0646b$0$241$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
>> <DaveJohnson12@nomail.> schreef in bericht
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> system

>> as

>>> Thanks. I decided on an LG. The reviews from people who bought DVD
>>> burners

>> were
>>> a little better than the reviews for Lite On.

>> I wish you all the best with the new device. I think as a whole LG is
>> great
>> value for the money.
>> BTW, I have done some firmware updates already (on both).

>I have both a Lite-On and LG installed as master/slave, and haven't had any
>problems ripping/burning with either... The Lite-On is faster for
>ripping/verifying. LG has a better reputation for burning, but it's slower
>for ripping/verifying out of the box. You can make it faster for
>ripping/verifying if you want to risk a speed increase MCSE patch at
>http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=133858
>I did it for mine and it's now about as fast as the Lite-On. I must flip a
>coin to decide which one to use!?

Do the LG's all have riplock and only rip at something like 2x or are they just
somewhat slower than the Lite On? The one I got is the GSA-H44LK BK LS 18x.
I didn't see any H44's on the list at cdfreaks. Thank you.

def456

<DaveJohnson12@nomail.> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 16:43:08 -0500, "def456" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"Linea Recta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:46d0646b$0$241$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
>>> <DaveJohnson12@nomail.> schreef in bericht
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> system

>>> as

>>> were
>>>

>>> I wish you all the best with the new device. I think as a whole LG is
>>> great
>>> value for the money.
>>> BTW, I have done some firmware updates already (on both).

>>I have both a Lite-On and LG installed as master/slave, and haven't had
>>any
>>problems ripping/burning with either... The Lite-On is faster for
>>ripping/verifying. LG has a better reputation for burning, but it's slower
>>for ripping/verifying out of the box. You can make it faster for
>>ripping/verifying if you want to risk a speed increase MCSE patch at
>>http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=133858
>>I did it for mine and it's now about as fast as the Lite-On. I must flip a
>>coin to decide which one to use!?

> Do the LG's all have riplock and only rip at something like 2x or are they
> just
> somewhat slower than the Lite On? The one I got is the GSA-H44LK BK LS
> 18x.
> I didn't see any H44's on the list at cdfreaks. Thank you.

The LG's all have riplock, as far as I know, but I'm not an expert. I have a
new GSA-H55N which was slower out of the box than my GSA-4167B which I
bought about 18 months ago. So it looks like they're getting slower and
slower, but not as slow as 2x in my experience. A rule of thumb might be
that riplock doubles or triples the time needed to rip/verify a disc. For
example when verifying a single layer 16x Taiyo Yuden disc after burning a
movie with ImgBurn, the original H55N got up to about 6x speed maximum,
while after the MCSE patch it got up to about 15x speed maximum. That's
typical of rips too, they generally go about twice or three times as fast.

There have been recent updates to MCSE and your H44L is on the list at
http://ala42.cdfreaks.com/MCSE/. You can also download the latest MCSE,
unzip, and look at the changelog. It looks like the H44 was added in April
2007, maybe with subsequent improvements. You might start reading the big
long MCSE thread at about...
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread....&page=27&pp=25
It's pretty easy if you don't have to go through a .bin file stage, like I
did with the H55N!? But please note there's a risk, so you have to be sure
and do it right, or it could kill the drive.

DaveJohnson12@nomail.

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 19:22:06 -0500, "def456" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><DaveJohnson12@nomail.> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 16:43:08 -0500, "def456" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>"Linea Recta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:46d0646b$0$241$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl.. .

>>>I have both a Lite-On and LG installed as master/slave, and haven't had
>>>any
>>>problems ripping/burning with either... The Lite-On is faster for
>>>ripping/verifying. LG has a better reputation for burning, but it's slower
>>>for ripping/verifying out of the box. You can make it faster for
>>>ripping/verifying if you want to risk a speed increase MCSE patch at
>>>http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=133858
>>>I did it for mine and it's now about as fast as the Lite-On. I must flip a
>>>coin to decide which one to use!?

>> Do the LG's all have riplock and only rip at something like 2x or are they
>> just
>> somewhat slower than the Lite On? The one I got is the GSA-H44LK BK LS
>> 18x.
>> I didn't see any H44's on the list at cdfreaks. Thank you.

>The LG's all have riplock, as far as I know, but I'm not an expert. I have a
>new GSA-H55N which was slower out of the box than my GSA-4167B which I
>bought about 18 months ago. So it looks like they're getting slower and
>slower, but not as slow as 2x in my experience. A rule of thumb might be
>that riplock doubles or triples the time needed to rip/verify a disc. For
>example when verifying a single layer 16x Taiyo Yuden disc after burning a
>movie with ImgBurn, the original H55N got up to about 6x speed maximum,
>while after the MCSE patch it got up to about 15x speed maximum. That's
>typical of rips too, they generally go about twice or three times as fast.

Thanks for the info. Now I have a better idea of what to expect.
I don't really see the logic in making drives that will rip at around 6x. It
makes it inconvenient. I don't know how that helps the movie industry.

>There have been recent updates to MCSE and your H44L is on the list at
>http://ala42.cdfreaks.com/MCSE/. You can also download the latest MCSE,
>unzip, and look at the changelog. It looks like the H44 was added in April
>2007, maybe with subsequent improvements. You might start reading the big
>long MCSE thread at about...
>http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread....&page=27&pp=25
>It's pretty easy if you don't have to go through a .bin file stage, like I
>did with the H55N!? But please note there's a risk, so you have to be sure
>and do it right, or it could kill the drive.

Thanks for letting me know that and thanks for the detailed information and
links. I'll have to make sure I know what I'm doing before I try the MCSE

Linea Recta

"def456" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
newsn1Ai.6719$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> "Linea Recta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:46d0646b$0$241$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
> > <DaveJohnson12@nomail.> schreef in bericht
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 12:58:33 +0200, "Linea Recta"

<(E-Mail Removed)>

> > system

seem

> > as

> >> Thanks. I decided on an LG. The reviews from people who bought DVD
> >> burners

> > were
> >> a little better than the reviews for Lite On.

> > I wish you all the best with the new device. I think as a whole LG is
> > great
> > value for the money.
> > BTW, I have done some firmware updates already (on both).

> I have both a Lite-On and LG installed as master/slave, and haven't had

any
> problems ripping/burning with either... The Lite-On is faster for
> ripping/verifying. LG has a better reputation for burning, but it's slower
> for ripping/verifying out of the box. You can make it faster for
> ripping/verifying if you want to risk a speed increase MCSE patch at
> http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=133858
> I did it for mine and it's now about as fast as the Lite-On. I must flip a
> coin to decide which one to use!?

Well, thats nice. But to be honest I'm not in the least interested in
gaining a few secs. speed. After all it ain't a speed contest. I think
things like burning realiable, error free and durable results are much more
important.

--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

Linea Recta

wrote:

> ><DaveJohnson12@nomail.> schreef in bericht
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 12:58:33 +0200, "Linea Recta"

<(E-Mail Removed)>

> >system

NEC

seem

good
> >as

> >> Thanks. I decided on an LG. The reviews from people who bought DVD

burners
> >were
> >> a little better than the reviews for Lite On.

> >I wish you all the best with the new device. I think as a whole LG is

great
> >value for the money.
> >BTW, I have done some firmware updates already (on both).

> Thank you. Why are firmware updates needed?

Don't know in detail, but I assume that potential problems were solved.

--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

def456

"Linea Recta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46d16686$0$231$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
[snip]
> Well, thats nice. But to be honest I'm not in the least interested in
> gaining a few secs. speed. After all it ain't a speed contest. I think
> things like burning realiable, error free and durable results are much
> more
> important.

If I understand correctly, the MCSE patch doesn't affect burn speed or
quality, only the read speed with video discs.

And it's more than a few seconds difference... My LG GSA-H55N (firmware
version 1.02, patched with MCSE) rips & decodes (with DVD Shrink 3.2 or DVD
Fab HD Decrypter, for example) a DVD SL 4.7G movie in less than 5 minutes
and a DL 8.5G movie in about 10-12 minutes. There's a comparable speedup
during the verify stage after a burn. How does that compare with the speeds
you're getting? It makes the LG about the same speed as a Lite-On, overall.
Apparently Lite-On's don't have riplock, although there's a MCSE patch
available for them too.

The MCSE patch does more than remove riplock. It also allows you modify the
burn strategy for a particular brand of disc. For example the H55N will only
burn Verbatim 2.4x-6x DVD+R DL discs (#95310) at 4x speed. If you want to
try a burn at 2.4x or 6x (or 1x, or 8x, or whatever), you can modify the
firmware accordingly with MCSE.