Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > DVD Authoring and Burning program?

DVD Authoring and Burning program?

:Jerry:

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Ken Maltby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>
>> Actually there is a quite active Animation crowd that have
>>developed and moded a number of tools geared to their
>>activities. A through Google search should get Peter connected
>>to the right people.

> I did look at this and there are loads of "unix" tools for doing it.
> Unfortunately, I don't run unix; my unix command line expertise is
> limited to "ls" and "rm -r"

You really are sounding like a ****tard, GIMP is ported for windows
(as well as UNIX & Mac OS X) and just to check I actually tried doing
what you need to do in GIMP *before* suggesting the software, this on
the Windows XP box.

> Pinnacle *should* work, and does work, but produces some unexpected
> movie lengths - see my other post.

Indeed, which is why you have been asking about other software and
people have been trying to help by suggesting (free) software that
will do what you want, if your intension is to just 'slag off'
Pinnacle whilst poo-pooing any suggestion of help then please remove
uk.rec.video.digital from your posts. Although Studio can be made to
do what you want, it wasn't written/designed to do so, the software
that has been suggested *has* been designed to frameserve - by all
mean compare like with like but trying to compare chalk with cheese is
just making you look the numb-skull, not Pinnacle...

Peter

":Jerry:" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Although Studio can be made to
>do what you want

Can you explain how?

As I wrote on the other thread (to which I see no responses on my
usenet server at present), it works but produces longer than expected
movies.

If GIMP (I've seen their website) can pick up a folder with say 10,000
640x480 jpegs and turn it into an mpeg movie of 576 lines, I would be
interested. But I have Pinnacle 10, which I've paid for, and I would
like to use it if I can.

:Jerry:

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> ":Jerry:" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Although Studio can be made to
>>do what you want

> Can you explain how?

*You* have already said that it can, but with unpredictable results!

> As I wrote on the other thread (to which I see no responses on my
> usenet server at present), it works but produces longer than
> expected
> movies.
>
> If GIMP (I've seen their website) can pick up a folder with say
> 10,000
> 640x480 jpegs and turn it into an mpeg movie of 576 lines, I would
> be
> interested.

It's an animation package that has been designed to produce animated
films - Duh!...

But I have Pinnacle 10, which I've paid for, and I would
> like to use it if I can.

Brick-wall, Head - feel free to have a close encounter... :~(

G Hardy

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Ken Maltby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Why not try another economic editing package like Ulead's
>>VideoStudio, in place of the Pinnacle program. They have a
>>demo I believe.

> Can it make movies from say 10,000 640x480 jpegs, each one forming one
> frame of the movie?
>
> This is a particular requirement I have, for making a time-lapse
> movie.

I've asked on one of the Ulead forums, and it will be checked later today,
but a quick browse of the manual suggests it cannot do this. Have you any
requirement for editing the resulting video, because I'm pretty sure
VirtualDub can concatenate stills into an AVI.

Peter

"G Hardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Can it make movies from say 10,000 640x480 jpegs, each one forming one
>> frame of the movie?
>>
>> This is a particular requirement I have, for making a time-lapse
>> movie.

>I've asked on one of the Ulead forums, and it will be checked later today,
>but a quick browse of the manual suggests it cannot do this. Have you any
>requirement for editing the resulting video, because I'm pretty sure
>VirtualDub can concatenate stills into an AVI.

Thank you very much!

The final video will not be edited but it needs to be in an
immediately widely usable (by non computer literate www users) format
i.e. WMV or MPEG2. I need to generate two different movies; one a
low-res one of about 200-300 lines and the other a VCD full-broadcast
size one.

Pinnacle 10.5, which I currently have, does all this OK but the
finished movie is about 2x longer than one would expect from the # of
frames and the frame rate. This is acceptable but could be a problem
in the future because I cannot play very much with the original camera
interval period - it is 5 secs minimum.

Pinnacle also crashes when doing this; a work-around is to start it
clean with a "new project" and then when it has written out the file
you have to exit before doing anything else.

Someone suggested GIMP, which I might look at. However, I also use
Pinnacle for normal HD movie capture and editing (contrary to what
their tech support told me, it supports HD just fine and generates
1080-line video).

Trev

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "G Hardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> Can it make movies from say 10,000 640x480 jpegs, each one forming one
>>> frame of the movie?
>>>
>>> This is a particular requirement I have, for making a time-lapse
>>> movie.

>>I've asked on one of the Ulead forums, and it will be checked later today,
>>but a quick browse of the manual suggests it cannot do this. Have you any
>>requirement for editing the resulting video, because I'm pretty sure
>>VirtualDub can concatenate stills into an AVI.

> Thank you very much!
>
> The final video will not be edited but it needs to be in an
> immediately widely usable (by non computer literate www users) format
> i.e. WMV or MPEG2. I need to generate two different movies; one a
> low-res one of about 200-300 lines and the other a VCD full-broadcast
> size one.
>
> Pinnacle 10.5, which I currently have, does all this OK but the
> finished movie is about 2x longer than one would expect from the # of
> frames and the frame rate. This is acceptable but could be a problem
> in the future because I cannot play very much with the original camera
> interval period - it is 5 secs minimum.

Cant you speed it up.
And is PAL not 23.9 fps

> Pinnacle also crashes when doing this; a work-around is to start it
> clean with a "new project" and then when it has written out the file
> you have to exit before doing anything else.
>
> Someone suggested GIMP, which I might look at. However, I also use
> Pinnacle for normal HD movie capture and editing (contrary to what
> their tech support told me, it supports HD just fine and generates
> 1080-line video).

:Jerry:

"Trev" <trevbowdenAT.dsl.pipex.COM> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>I've asked on one of the Ulead forums, and it will be checked later
>>>today,
>>>but a quick browse of the manual suggests it cannot do this. Have
>>>you any
>>>requirement for editing the resulting video, because I'm pretty
>>>sure
>>>VirtualDub can concatenate stills into an AVI.

>> Thank you very much!
>>
>> The final video will not be edited but it needs to be in an
>> immediately widely usable (by non computer literate www users)
>> format
>> i.e. WMV or MPEG2. I need to generate two different movies; one a
>> low-res one of about 200-300 lines and the other a VCD
>> full-broadcast
>> size one.
>>
>> Pinnacle 10.5, which I currently have, does all this OK but the
>> finished movie is about 2x longer than one would expect from the #
>> of
>> frames and the frame rate. This is acceptable but could be a
>> problem
>> in the future because I cannot play very much with the original
>> camera
>> interval period - it is 5 secs minimum.

> Cant you speed it up.
> And is PAL not 23.9 fps

No PAL is 25fps exact, unless you are working in *certain* HD formats,
which will not be the case with what Peter wants to do or is imposed
format restrictions (above).

Peter

":Jerry:" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>Also, although a bit of a learning curve, the GIMP (with animation
>add-on/plug-in) should be able to do what "Peter" wants - might also
>need something like Irfanview to batch rename / resize the source
>images.

Looking at

http://docs.gimp.org/en/

even finding the relevant feature in the manual would be a challenge.
This is a serious anorak piece of software.

"Learning curve" is an understatement.

:Jerry:

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> ":Jerry:" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>
>>Also, although a bit of a learning curve, the GIMP (with animation
>>add-on/plug-in) should be able to do what "Peter" wants - might also
>>need something like Irfanview to batch rename / resize the source
>>images.

> Looking at
>
> http://docs.gimp.org/en/
>
> even finding the relevant feature in the manual would be a
> challenge.
> This is a serious anorak piece of software.
>
> "Learning curve" is an understatement.

Well, as I said, some people are better off just giving up...

G Hardy

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "G Hardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> Can it make movies from say 10,000 640x480 jpegs, each one forming one
>>> frame of the movie?
>>>
>>> This is a particular requirement I have, for making a time-lapse
>>> movie.

>>I've asked on one of the Ulead forums, and it will be checked later today,
>>but a quick browse of the manual suggests it cannot do this. Have you any
>>requirement for editing the resulting video, because I'm pretty sure
>>VirtualDub can concatenate stills into an AVI.

> Thank you very much!
>
> The final video will not be edited but it needs to be in an
> immediately widely usable (by non computer literate www users) format
> i.e. WMV or MPEG2. I need to generate two different movies; one a
> low-res one of about 200-300 lines and the other a VCD full-broadcast
> size one.

You could always create your full-res, uncompressed original video from
stills using VirtualDub, then put that on the Pinnacle timeline and output
other video files with the codecs and dimensions you need.

Uncompressed SD video is HDD hungry - Over 30MB per second. If I had a load
of hi-res stills, I'd be more inclined to seek a solution that uses the
JPEGs themselves as the video file, just so I wasn't duplicating such
volumes of data. The editor I use, Ulead's MediaStudio Pro allows this, and
is very stable, but it's not cheap, and with no Vista version coming, it
looks like there's not much of a future for it, either.