Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > DVD Authoring and Burning program?

DVD Authoring and Burning program?

:Jerry:

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> ":Jerry:" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>
>>I suspect he has been using the story-board in Pinnacle (studio), as
>>you say, if he has no concept of what a time-line is it's any wonder
>>he found Vegas (and others) "impenetrable"?!

> Yes, I have been using that mode, as well as the others, and I do
> now
> know what a timeline is. What I was hoping to point out is that this
> business is full of concepts which need to be learnt.
> <snip diatribe>

So does anything that needs at least a little bit of intelligent brain
power, even writing your name is full of "concepts which need to be
learnt"...

Peter

"Ken Maltby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Why not try another economic editing package like Ulead's
>VideoStudio, in place of the Pinnacle program. They have a
>demo I believe.

Can it make movies from say 10,000 640x480 jpegs, each one forming one
frame of the movie?

This is a particular requirement I have, for making a time-lapse
movie.

Peter

":Jerry:" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>So does anything that needs at least a little bit of intelligent brain
>power, even writing your name is full of "concepts which need to be
>learnt"...

Funny you should say that, old chum, because this kind of patronishing
bullshit is exactly what one gets (from some arseholes, not from
everybody) on the "oh so professional video editing "support" forums"
when one asks a question there. I wonder if this is a coincidence.

I use the word "support" in quotes because for the prices these things
go for, the manufacturer ought to provide a decent user manual AND
some real support.

I just fall over backwards laughing when I see the Sony laptop adverts
which try to push their cheap crap High Street laptops as machines
suitable for video editing. It's no wonder the video editing software
suppliers wash their hands of support, when they get 1000 calls a day
from punters who can't make the product do what it should do.

:Jerry:

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> ":Jerry:" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>So does anything that needs at least a little bit of intelligent
>>brain
>>power, even writing your name is full of "concepts which need to be
>>learnt"...

> Funny you should say that, old chum, because this kind of
> patronishing
> bullshit is exactly what one gets (from some arseholes, not from
> everybody) on the "oh so professional video editing "support"
> forums"
> when one asks a question there. I wonder if this is a coincidence.

Whilst people like you are the sort of ignorant arse-holes who refuse
to RTFM before asking silly questions, I'm surprised that some don't
post questions like "How does one open the (component X of the)
program, there isn't an icon on the desktop?"...

> I use the word "support" in quotes because for the prices these
> things
> go for, the manufacturer ought to provide a decent user manual AND
> some real support.

Well, talking about Premiere, Canopus and Sony (vegas) that remark
just proves that you either don't bother to RTFM or are just unable to
comprehend what is (unavoidably)a complicated/technical subject - not
everything can be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator, for
those it might be better just giving up, as you did!

> I just fall over backwards laughing when I see the Sony laptop
> adverts
> which try to push their cheap crap High Street laptops as machines
> suitable for video editing.

If they are talking about Vegas, which they would be, there really is
nothing to suggest that a current medium spec laptop can not be used,
of course one might need to add an external HDD - have you actually
bothered to look at the spec' requirement for Vegas v.7?

It's no wonder the video editing software
> suppliers wash their hands of support, when they get 1000 calls a
> day
> from punters who can't make the product do what it should do.

No wonder at all when people like you don't RTFM, don't RTFS [1] and
then complain that the software is a pile of ckack when it doesn't run
properly on your machine!

[1] not forgetting that the minimum spec is just that, what will allow
the software to do the minimum of basic tasks.

Mortimer

"Ken Maltby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) ...

>> Speaking of Pinnacle, right now I am trying to make a movie from a few
>> thousand jpeg images. This is a feature in the program, and does work.
>> There are a few probable bugs though - the program has just crashed
>> for the 3rd time this morning, trying to render the movie. It does
>> mini WMV files but has problems with full size mpegs. The magazine
>> reviews did say it was the most unstable (meaning ridden with bugs
>> that crash it) video editing product they ever tested. This is v10 -
>> is v11 any better?

> Pinnacle has earned its self a bad reputation in years past, but
> since it was acquired be Avid (the originators of Liquid Pro 7)
> it appears to be somewhat improved. Still many of us avoid
> Pinnacle out of force of habit.

I've had Studio 10 SmartStart (or some such naff name) for a few days - it
was bundled with a DTTV decoder that I bought.

I've found that on two different PCs it is a bit flaky: what often seems to
crash it is adding a transition (eg fade/dissolve) and then editing its
properties to change the duration: closing the transition view to go back to
the storyboard view sometimes causes it to terminate and offer to send a
report back to Pinnacle.

So I always save my project just before doing this, so I can return to that
state when I restart Studio 10.

It probably happens one in every ten times that I edit a transition.

xeaglecrest@att.net

> Speaking of Pinnacle, right now I am trying to make a movie from a few
> thousand jpeg images. This is a feature in the program, and does work.
> There are a few probable bugs though - the program has just crashed
> for the 3rd time this morning, trying to render the movie.

One thing I use Pinnacle Studio 9 for is to create slideshows. There is
workaround for your problem Instead of trying to render the whole
project
at one time, break it down into smaller parts (say 500 or 1000 jpegs).
Render
those as AVI files and then use those as the source for our final
project.
That way, Studio will treat it as just another video file rather that
1000's
of individual frames.

-Bill

Ken Maltby

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Ken Maltby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Why not try another economic editing package like Ulead's
>>VideoStudio, in place of the Pinnacle program. They have a
>>demo I believe.

> Can it make movies from say 10,000 640x480 jpegs, each one forming one
> frame of the movie?
>
> This is a particular requirement I have, for making a time-lapse
> movie.

Wait -- just who are you? Are you "John" the Original Poster (OP)?
Or are you "Peter"?

Yes you can add individual "images" to the VideoStudio timeline,
just as you can in most editors. You might want to give VDubMod
a try and frameserve to an encoder for a project like that.

Luck;
Ken

:Jerry:

"Ken Maltby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Ken Maltby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Why not try another economic editing package like Ulead's
>>>VideoStudio, in place of the Pinnacle program. They have a
>>>demo I believe.

>> Can it make movies from say 10,000 640x480 jpegs, each one forming
>> one
>> frame of the movie?
>>
>> This is a particular requirement I have, for making a time-lapse
>> movie.
>>

> Wait -- just who are you? Are you "John" the Original Poster (OP)?
> Or are you "Peter"?
>
> Yes you can add individual "images" to the VideoStudio timeline,
> just as you can in most editors. You might want to give VDubMod
> a try and frameserve to an encoder for a project like that.

Also, although a bit of a learning curve, the GIMP (with animation
add-on/plug-in) should be able to do what "Peter" wants - might also
need something like Irfanview to batch rename / resize the source
images.

Ken Maltby

":Jerry:" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46ce09d1$0$97261$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...

> "Ken Maltby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>
>> "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Can it make movies from say 10,000 640x480 jpegs, each one forming one
>>> frame of the movie?
>>>
>>> This is a particular requirement I have, for making a time-lapse
>>> movie.
>>>

>> Wait -- just who are you? Are you "John" the Original Poster (OP)?
>> Or are you "Peter"?
>>
>> Yes you can add individual "images" to the VideoStudio timeline,
>> just as you can in most editors. You might want to give VDubMod
>> a try and frameserve to an encoder for a project like that.
>>

> Also, although a bit of a learning curve, the GIMP (with animation
> add-on/plug-in) should be able to do what "Peter" wants - might also need
> something like Irfanview to batch rename / resize the source images.

Actually there is a quite active Animation crowd that have
developed and moded a number of tools geared to their
activities. A through Google search should get Peter connected
to the right people.

Luck;
Ken

Peter

"Ken Maltby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> Actually there is a quite active Animation crowd that have
>developed and moded a number of tools geared to their
>activities. A through Google search should get Peter connected
>to the right people.

I did look at this and there are loads of "unix" tools for doing it.
Unfortunately, I don't run unix; my unix command line expertise is
limited to "ls" and "rm -r"

Pinnacle *should* work, and does work, but produces some unexpected
movie lengths - see my other post.