Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > DVD Authoring and Burning program?

DVD Authoring and Burning program?

Rock Troll

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 10:54:43 +0100, Terry Pinnell
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Rock Troll <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>>I then use TMPGEnc DVD Author v1.6.34.89 to make the DVD and
>>then burn it with Nero Burning ROM v6.

><snip>
>
>Just curious: why don't you use 1.6's own burning facility? So far,
>after making maybe 50 or so short family DVDs, I've had no failures.

Mainly because I'm comfortable with Nero for burning. I ascribe to Ken
Maltby's contention to find the right tool to do each job and use
that. Nero is a very good burning program. I just have never
experimented with 1.6's burning facility. I know Nero will burn my DVD
with no problems. Each program iis tailored to do certain things well
and I try and find the ones that I like and that work well for me and
that's what I use until something else better comes along that I have
the time to experiment with or that are recommended. I used to use
Womble MPG to edit my MPG files until a lot of people in this group
(including I think Ken Maltby) recommended VideoReDo. I tried it and
haven't gone back.

Terry Pinnell

Rock Troll <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 10:54:43 +0100, Terry Pinnell
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Rock Troll <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>>I then use TMPGEnc DVD Author v1.6.34.89 to make the DVD and
>>>then burn it with Nero Burning ROM v6.

>><snip>
>>
>>Just curious: why don't you use 1.6's own burning facility? So far,
>>after making maybe 50 or so short family DVDs, I've had no failures.

>Mainly because I'm comfortable with Nero for burning. I ascribe to Ken
>Maltby's contention to find the right tool to do each job and use
>that. Nero is a very good burning program. I just have never
>experimented with 1.6's burning facility. I know Nero will burn my DVD
>with no problems. Each program iis tailored to do certain things well
>and I try and find the ones that I like and that work well for me and
>that's what I use until something else better comes along that I have
>the time to experiment with or that are recommended. I used to use
>Womble MPG to edit my MPG files until a lot of people in this group
>(including I think Ken Maltby) recommended VideoReDo. I tried it and
>haven't gone back.

That's my attitude too. But if I can find a program that handles
several functions easily and reliably, all the better! Ideally, if I
had one that could do *everything* easily and reliably, I'd use that.

Isn't that comparison of Womble v VideoRedo rather inappropriate?
Assuming you mean Womble MPEG Video Wizard, that's a full editor,
supporting effects, transitions, etc, and handles multiple file
formats (MPEG, AVI, JPEG, etc).

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Ken Maltby

"Rock Troll" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 08:09:22 +0100, Terry Pinnell

> I agree "if" a program can handle several functions easily and
> reliably, my experience has been that they don't. Not saying they all
> don't but my experience has shown me that when a program tries to do
> everything it does nothing well.
>
> I did try 1.6's burning tool last night and it worked easily and
> reliably. I may try it some more. Thanks for the recommendation.
>
> The Womble program was the version before MPEG Video Wizard, it might
> have been mpegVCR. I haven't tried Video Wizard.

I've found that TDA's burning application works well with
my setup and NEC 2510A, so I also use it to burn DVDs.
In fact I also use it to burn Data DVDs, as it does the job
quickly with little fuss. I use Nero Burning ROM for any
tricky or unusual burning that may crop up, from time to
time.

IMHO, VideoReDo is an essential tool for anyone who
works with MPEG. While Womble's "Video Wizard"
programs can do some MPEG Editing, they are no longer
unique in that regard. There are more capable editing
programs in the same price range, Ulead's "VideoStudio"
and even Magix's "Movie Edit Pro" series. But whatever
program you use to edit with, VideoReDo will provide
some additional very useful processing and support.

Luck;
Ken

Rock Troll

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Rock Troll <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 10:54:43 +0100, Terry Pinnell
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Rock Troll <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>><snip>

>>><snip>
>>>
>>>Just curious: why don't you use 1.6's own burning facility? So far,
>>>after making maybe 50 or so short family DVDs, I've had no failures.

>>Mainly because I'm comfortable with Nero for burning. I ascribe to Ken
>>Maltby's contention to find the right tool to do each job and use
>>that. Nero is a very good burning program. I just have never
>>experimented with 1.6's burning facility. I know Nero will burn my DVD
>>with no problems. Each program iis tailored to do certain things well
>>and I try and find the ones that I like and that work well for me and
>>that's what I use until something else better comes along that I have
>>the time to experiment with or that are recommended. I used to use
>>Womble MPG to edit my MPG files until a lot of people in this group
>>(including I think Ken Maltby) recommended VideoReDo. I tried it and
>>haven't gone back.

>That's my attitude too. But if I can find a program that handles
>several functions easily and reliably, all the better! Ideally, if I
>had one that could do *everything* easily and reliably, I'd use that.
>
>Isn't that comparison of Womble v VideoRedo rather inappropriate?
>Assuming you mean Womble MPEG Video Wizard, that's a full editor,
>supporting effects, transitions, etc, and handles multiple file
>formats (MPEG, AVI, JPEG, etc).

I agree "if" a program can handle several functions easily and
reliably, my experience has been that they don't. Not saying they all
don't but my experience has shown me that when a program tries to do
everything it does nothing well.

I did try 1.6's burning tool last night and it worked easily and
reliably. I may try it some more. Thanks for the recommendation.

The Womble program was the version before MPEG Video Wizard, it might
have been mpegVCR. I haven't tried Video Wizard.

swordm

On Aug 14, 8:25 am, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I just wondered what program(s) other people are using for editing
> their home movies, and authoring to DVD?
>
> I was using Nero 6 but have been having a lot of problems so am
> thinking of switching.
>
> I've been looking at a lot of different website for different programs
> for example:
>
> DVD Lab
> Pinnacle Studio 11
> Roxio MyDVD 9 Studio
> Pegasys DVD Author 3
> Ulead DVD Movie Factory 6
>
> Anyone have any preferences/recommendation for a decent bug free non
> bulky good value highly compatible efficient product for editing and
> authoring your own home movies to DVD? What gives the best bang for
> your buck?
>
> John

use Total Video2Dvd Author, easy to use,

website:http://www.effectmatrix.com/total_vi...thor/index.htm

Peter

John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just wondered what program(s) other people are using for editing
>their home movies, and authoring to DVD?
>
>I was using Nero 6 but have been having a lot of problems so am
>thinking of switching.
>
>I've been looking at a lot of different website for different programs
>for example:
>
>DVD Lab
>Pinnacle Studio 11
>Roxio MyDVD 9 Studio
>Pegasys DVD Author 3
>Ulead DVD Movie Factory 6
>
>Anyone have any preferences/recommendation for a decent bug free non
>bulky good value highly compatible efficient product for editing and
>authoring your own home movies to DVD? What gives the best bang for
>your buck?
>
>John

I speak as someone who does NOT do this for a living, and I store all
the original movies on the original DV tapes, where they will last (by
far) the longest. I have an occassional need to make a movie for a
website, sometimes in the small WMV format and sometimes a
broadcast-size mpeg which is many megabytes.

Having played with a few products

Pinnacle 10
Liquid 7
Sony Vegas

I think the answer to your Q must be "it depends on how much time you
want to invest going up the learning curve".

The LC of these products can be massive. L7 in particular was
horrendous. After a few days I did finally manage to force it to make
the simplest movie. It is packed with counter-intuitive features.
There is a support forum on which some people do try hard to help but
basically most issues don't get resolved, or not fast - you have to
plug away posting on there for a few days to work out just one
feature.

Vegas was impenetrable, IIRC. I tried Adobe Premiere a long time ago
and after a day could not make it work.

Pinnacle is relatively easy, but is not without bugs. It is however a
lot better (in a v10, updated several times) than it used to be.

For home movies, Pinnacle is the way to go, IMHO.

Dedicated movie people will laugh at this, but they already know all
the paradigms that this business runs on. What the hell is a
"timeline" for example?

Ken Maltby

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I just wondered what program(s) other people are using for editing
>>their home movies, and authoring to DVD?
>>
>>I was using Nero 6 but have been having a lot of problems so am
>>thinking of switching.
>>
>>I've been looking at a lot of different website for different programs
>>for example:
>>
>>DVD Lab
>>Pinnacle Studio 11
>>Roxio MyDVD 9 Studio
>>Pegasys DVD Author 3
>>Ulead DVD Movie Factory 6
>>
>>Anyone have any preferences/recommendation for a decent bug free non
>>bulky good value highly compatible efficient product for editing and
>>authoring your own home movies to DVD? What gives the best bang for
>>your buck?
>>
>>John
>>

> I speak as someone who does NOT do this for a living, and I store all
> the original movies on the original DV tapes, where they will last (by
> far) the longest. I have an occassional need to make a movie for a
> website, sometimes in the small WMV format and sometimes a
> broadcast-size mpeg which is many megabytes.
>
> Having played with a few products
>
> Pinnacle 10
> Liquid 7
> Sony Vegas
>
> I think the answer to your Q must be "it depends on how much time you
> want to invest going up the learning curve".
>
> The LC of these products can be massive. L7 in particular was
> horrendous. After a few days I did finally manage to force it to make
> the simplest movie. It is packed with counter-intuitive features.
> There is a support forum on which some people do try hard to help but
> basically most issues don't get resolved, or not fast - you have to
> plug away posting on there for a few days to work out just one
> feature.
>
> Vegas was impenetrable, IIRC. I tried Adobe Premiere a long time ago
> and after a day could not make it work.
>
> Pinnacle is relatively easy, but is not without bugs. It is however a
> lot better (in a v10, updated several times) than it used to be.
>
> For home movies, Pinnacle is the way to go, IMHO.
>
> Dedicated movie people will laugh at this, but they already know all
> the paradigms that this business runs on. What the hell is a
> "timeline" for example?

Your last question makes no sense, if you have the experience
with editing programs that you claim. If you never obtained a
grasp of such a simple and fundamental concept, you have no
means of evaluating any editing package. It would also explain
your difficulty with the other programs, what still makes no
sense is your claim that you can work in "Pinnacle" without
understanding the timeline concept.

There are plenty of inexpensive editing packages, in the
same price range as "Pinnacle" that are, at least, as easy
and user friendly. Liquid, Premiere, and Vegas are much
more expensive and complex professional packages. The
makers of each of those also offer less expensive and less
complex programs. In addition to those, there are good
packages from Ulead, Magix, and others.

Check the listings at

www.videohelp.com

Ulead's VideoStudio series may be the easiest to use.
Magix's Movie Edit Pro 12 may actually provide the
most useful features for the buck.

DVD Authoring should be done in a separate authoring
program - in my opinion. TMPGEnc DVD Author,
DVDLab Pro, for sure; and Ulead's DVD workshop,
perhaps their DVD Movie Factory as well.

Luck;
Ken

:Jerry:

"Ken Maltby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

<snip>

>> Vegas was impenetrable, IIRC. I tried Adobe Premiere a long time
>> ago
>> and after a day could not make it work.
>>
>> Pinnacle is relatively easy, but is not without bugs. It is however
>> lot better (in a v10, updated several times) than it used to be.
>>
>> For home movies, Pinnacle is the way to go, IMHO.
>>
>> Dedicated movie people will laugh at this, but they already know
>> all
>> the paradigms that this business runs on. What the hell is a
>> "timeline" for example?
>>

> Your last question makes no sense, if you have the experience
> with editing programs that you claim. If you never obtained a
> grasp of such a simple and fundamental concept, you have no
> means of evaluating any editing package.

I suspect he has been using the story-board in Pinnacle (studio), as
you say, if he has no concept of what a time-line is it's any wonder
he found Vegas (and others) "impenetrable"?!

Peter

":Jerry:" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>I suspect he has been using the story-board in Pinnacle (studio), as
>you say, if he has no concept of what a time-line is it's any wonder
>he found Vegas (and others) "impenetrable"?!

Yes, I have been using that mode, as well as the others, and I do now
know what a timeline is. What I was hoping to point out is that this
business is full of concepts which need to be learnt.

The problem I have with Liquid 7 was more specific and even repeated
posts on their support forum were unable to get to the bottom of it.
In L7 you can select which of a number of data sources (e.g. video,
sound, etc) end up being merged into the movie. You check the checkbox
for each one that you want, and there are various things which change
shade or colour of the selected source. However, every movie I made
turned out to be blank. The sound track was there but no video.
Obviously there was something really subtle (and probably obvious to a
user who knows the program) but I never worked it out. I don't
remember the details now. I should add that I am a hardware / software
developer with 35 years' experience, and have extensive experience in
IT, computers, networking. And a BSc in Electronics. Liquid 7 did
however beat me.

Speaking of Pinnacle, right now I am trying to make a movie from a few
thousand jpeg images. This is a feature in the program, and does work.
There are a few probable bugs though - the program has just crashed
for the 3rd time this morning, trying to render the movie. It does
mini WMV files but has problems with full size mpegs. The magazine
reviews did say it was the most unstable (meaning ridden with bugs
that crash it) video editing product they ever tested. This is v10 -
is v11 any better?

Ken Maltby

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> ":Jerry:" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>
>>I suspect he has been using the story-board in Pinnacle (studio), as
>>you say, if he has no concept of what a time-line is it's any wonder
>>he found Vegas (and others) "impenetrable"?!

> Yes, I have been using that mode, as well as the others, and I do now
> know what a timeline is. What I was hoping to point out is that this
> business is full of concepts which need to be learnt.
>
> The problem I have with Liquid 7 was more specific and even repeated
> posts on their support forum were unable to get to the bottom of it.
> In L7 you can select which of a number of data sources (e.g. video,
> sound, etc) end up being merged into the movie. You check the checkbox
> for each one that you want, and there are various things which change
> shade or colour of the selected source. However, every movie I made
> turned out to be blank. The sound track was there but no video.
> Obviously there was something really subtle (and probably obvious to a
> user who knows the program) but I never worked it out. I don't
> remember the details now. I should add that I am a hardware / software
> developer with 35 years' experience, and have extensive experience in
> IT, computers, networking. And a BSc in Electronics. Liquid 7 did
> however beat me.
>
> Speaking of Pinnacle, right now I am trying to make a movie from a few
> thousand jpeg images. This is a feature in the program, and does work.
> There are a few probable bugs though - the program has just crashed
> for the 3rd time this morning, trying to render the movie. It does
> mini WMV files but has problems with full size mpegs. The magazine
> reviews did say it was the most unstable (meaning ridden with bugs
> that crash it) video editing product they ever tested. This is v10 -
> is v11 any better?

Pinnacle has earned its self a bad reputation in years past, but
since it was acquired be Avid (the originators of Liquid Pro 7)
it appears to be somewhat improved. Still many of us avoid
Pinnacle out of force of habit.

Why not try another economic editing package like Ulead's
VideoStudio, in place of the Pinnacle program. They have a
demo I believe.

Luck;
Ken

There is that "gladly" enough?